I'm sorry, Daryn...but...my Hell Knight > your orcs

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
"fan art?" Is that what you think this is? Where have you ever seen a Hell Knight? Dude, this isn't a fan-art pic, this is original. I know that some of the bug-uglies in DOOMII are called Hell Knights, but they look like minotaurs. And as far as it being the avatar of the sin of Pride, that's inspired by but not copied from Devil May Cry 3. Conceptual, yes, it could be considered fan art in a VERY loose sense, but the design is original. Maybe that was the problem with this whole thing.

And Diatenshi, I wasn't taking myself too seriously, I was griping about them apparently taking art as a whole too seriously particularly spare-time sketches by a seventeen-year-old.

And a "background in art?" Not only have I been drawing since I could hold a crayon (literally since I was physically capable of holding a crayon) but I have several years of middle school-high school art classes. I understand a hell of a lot more about this stuff than you give me credit for.

Oh, and the sarcasm bit. I understand if you were trying to be sarcastic. I do that much the same way. Macman did too, except his was so obviously sarcastic that I essentially ignored him. Yes, emotion doesn't really convey through words unless extensive onomotopia is employed...or you type like Gaheadga.

MacMan

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I was being serious :(

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
And a "background in art?" Not only have I been drawing since I could hold a crayon (literally since I was physically capable of holding a crayon) but I have several years of middle school-high school art classes. I understand a hell of a lot more about this stuff than you give me credit for.
My bad. I apologize.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Now are you still being sarcastic? I am not just an ignorant newbie when it comes to art, and you acting as if I am pisses me off.

Auron

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wouldn't call that a hell knight, it doesn't even look scary. The picture looks stiff and just plain.

This is "rate a pic" not "rate a pic and flame people".

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
J'kar the Dark said:
Guys...it takes much more imagination to come up with all those little details for his armor than it would ever take to have someone looking downward with his hands on his face.
I'm sorry, I had to quit reading this thread once I saw that. You honestly should have seen my e-face when I read that, it was like a train wreck. Total horror yet you can't seem to pry your eyes off of it.

CelBad's piece showed emotion, which has imagination, inspiration, and creativity written all over it. Yours is a character from a video game, which shows you know how to move a pencil in the collective patterns of what someone else has modelled. You and Bloodmatter are both decent sketch artists, you both just need to buckle down and do something actually creative, inventive, and make something that shows a little feeling. In any form of art, be it drawing, design, music, or even mass murder for christ sake needs a little bit of feeling in it to thrive. Your art shows skill, but as for feeling, you are sunk.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
DOES...ANYBODY...F***ING...READ...THE...G-D...POSTS???

IT IS NOT A CHARACTER FOR A VIDEO GAME!!!

I am dreadfully sorry that you expect me to be f***ing Picasso. Well, not Picasso, he was more abstract, but still...what do you expect, f***ing Thomas Kinkade? "ooh, gotta get the FEEEEEEELING!" Good Lord, are you really one of those idiots who looks for the deep inner meaning of the artist, who tries to read between the lines? MY GOD, I hate people who do that. It's a FREAKING sketch of a FREAKING bad guy from the pits of my IMAGINATION, and NOT a FREAKING fan-art of a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER, NOR is it supposed to be some amatuer attempt at a horribly overdone artistic cliche! Badger's work SCREAMS "I want to convey some deep emotion, because that is 'cool' and people will respect me for it and think that I am cool, so I am just gonna draw (yes, draw and photoshop he even said it so stop calling it a painting paintings take a lot more skill than Badger or I have) some cliche, half-assed attempt at a deep, emotional work of art, and the BF people who think they are intelligent, cultured art critics will love it, and never say bad of it, because the 'in' thing is to have great emotion in your works and it would show simplicity and an absence of sophistication if I actually called it out on what it is."

Everybody goes through a trying period in their life where they feel down and so they get the bright idea to make some masterpiece, something critics will hail as "incredibly insightful" and "utter artistic genius." I had that stupid phase too, several years ago. Then I woke up, found that putting your life and soul into a photoshopped sketch is a waste of time and talent, not to mention it turns you into a mopey, depressed, and sardonic piece of nothingness that nobody wants to be around.

CB, if you seriously want to pursue this area of "art" I wish you the best. I like your work, it does look nice, and I think you do have what it takes. That isn't an insult, that is genuine appreciation of your talent. The work does match the profile of those that supposedly convey such emotion and all that, and I think you could run with the best of them. However, if you do want to do this, and do it well, and not be laughed out of the industry, you better learn to actually paint it and not Photoshop a sketch into something that imitates a painting. Real artists are either painters, or they are so good at their unconventional style or process that they revolutionize their art genre as a whole. I am sorry, but while you are good, you aren't revolutionary. Everyone making emo art tries to be revolutionary, and I am sorry but while it is good, it isn't revolutionary.

*deep breath*

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
*claps hands for J'kar*

yeah, i know JD, but ive had those drawings for about 3 years now, and my style has definatly improved since then, and recently in life ive had many inspirations which i will soon put down on paper with pencil. Ive had those drawings since about 8th grade, and i always thought "if i want to be good, why not look at other good work, and learn from it?", which is exactly what i did- copied Samwise from Blizzard.
I looked at his drawings from the books i have, and just drew them and learned from them, and it helped me develope my own style when it actually comes to drawing and shading. I never really ment for much emotion to be put into there. I have a million ideas in my mind, though, that i think will cause a lot of emotional movement.

J'Kar, calm down, man.CB is better at Photoshop than you, you are better at sketching from the mind than he is. On photoshop you are givien hundreds of tools to use. With pencil and paper, we are limited to pencils. You both excellerate at different things when it comes to art. CB just knows how to use those tools and put them into good work. J'Kar, dont worry about what CB says, as long as you like your artwork, what else matters?

Zerglite

Reaction score
Bloodmatter said:
J'Kar, calm down, man.CB is better at Photoshop than you, you are better at sketching from the mind than he is. On photoshop you are givien hundreds of tools to use. With pencil and paper, we are limited to pencils. You both excellerate at different things when it comes to art. CB just knows how to use those tools and put them into good work. J'Kar, dont worry about what CB says, as long as you like your artwork, what else matters?
PS = LOTS harder to make a good pic, than with pencil

Firebat

Member!
Reaction score
i wouldnt say that. In PS you get to a certain point where you cant get any better, but when you draw free hand, there are far wider ranges of difficulty. very few artists reach that level. Photoshop is just some learning by heart clicking combination blabla. BAM!

Zerglite

Reaction score
Firebat said:
i wouldnt say that. In PS you get to a certain point where you cant get any better, but when you draw free hand, there are far wider ranges of difficulty. very few artists reach that level. Photoshop is just some learning by heart clicking combination blabla. BAM!
no, just no

ever tried to actually draw in photoshop? no filters, just you, a brush, and some default settings?

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
LOL @ this thread. Later guys.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
I agree. It's so refreshing to see something original for a change.
Why is there so much flaming in this thread? Jesus a guy posted a picture, makes me afraid to post anything here because of asholes like you lot.

Yes you're the original type, your master piece in a thread called "now for something completely different" was almost a complete copy of a picture of estella warren. If you look at beginning of the thread people were in complete awe and said how brilliant it was.
That really does look like you edited a real photo...but if you said you didn't, I'll believe you. Only because I have seen some of your past work. That truley is amazing
Everyone gave you the benefit of the doubt, then someone posted the picture that you never mentioned you copied it off. Until someone posts a picture I think you should show him a little bit of respect and trust him. If he said he made it then he is innocent of plauguarism until proven guilty.

He actually draws, this is a lot different than paint shop pro or photoshop, because you are good at one doesn't mean you'll be any good at the other. Give the guy a break, he is actually brave enough to post his artwork and you guys jump on him like a ton of bricks. Pathetic, he has some pride in his work and your own artwork is a very sensitive thing to you, yes you can take critism but this is more of a attack than anything else.

Who cares about the artists feelings, I want to see a good picture. Just because it doesn't 'display' feelings doesn't mean it isn't a good picture. J-kar keep up the drawing and don't let knobheads but you off.

EDIT: I saw 2 threads referring to J-kar and bloodmatter, looks like some good rivalry and they don't seem to hate eachother. Someone even suggested starting a competetion, rivalry like that could generate more traffic in these forums and get more people to actually post their work. GJ to samarsa, j-kar and bloodmatter ;). People bitching in this thread: Obviously flaming people that post their work and start these things off is really intelligent and brilliant way to get these forums going properly again :rolleyes.

Look at j-kar posts in Cb's thread, he gives postive feedback and any criticism is helpful and constructive. "OMG ITS UNORIGINAL" is not what i would call contructive criticism. Suggesting how you can improve it is a much better response than saying he 'probably' stole the idea of a video game.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
J'kar the Dark said:
Sorry guys, he automatically wins here. He took highschool level classes. Watch out.

BTW; it's still just a sketch, of something that has been done a billion and a half times over. Honestly looks like you just kinda doodled it in class or something.

It's nothing revolutionary. It's nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, it's below ordinary, cause most would of struck a pose, or had some shading. You just did a rough outline of a character you drew. Nothing more. Don't expect praise upon praise, when you were doomed from the start of the thread. "My Hell Knight > your orc" is just bragging/trolling as is. Then when you realize that everyone thought his were better, you tried to play it off as "well, the ACTUAL HELL KNIGHT COULD KILL ALL HIS ORCS BUT HE IS THE BETTAR DRAEWR!" we called you out.

Calm down dude, everyone does something shitty when it comes to art at some point in time where pretty much no one likes it. It's just shit you gotta deal with in this business.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I'm sorry, J'kar, but art without some sort of emotion is not art. It's just lines on a paper.

Auron

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
jd-inflames said:
I'm sorry, J'kar, but art without some sort of emotion is not art. It's just lines on a paper.
You sir, win!

JD does have point, that I totally agree upon.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
There might be emotion in Diatenshi's avatar, but it isn't exceptionally good. People just believe art has emotion in it, it's either apealing to look at or it's not really. Sure if it looks like they broke their brush on it you can say that's anger :rolleyes. Some pieces can make you feel emotional I suppose but I haven't seen any on battleforums that have done that for me. It's the lack of colour and its a bit too conventional that makes it less apealing or less 'emotional' for you JD and I can understand that. I don't like the word emotional, a guy could have a orgasm and paint his feelings, doesn't stop it being a pile of shit. Theres little emotional about graphics on a computer but some amazing stuff has come out of it. The better the artist the better the work, not the most emotional.

When giving critiques, make sure:

-you're polite
-you point out the good and the bad
-you tell them how to fix it
Maybe some people who posted here should read that from the rules :).

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Show me a decent piece that doesn't have some sort of feeling behind it, Janitor.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Any form of art is build off of some sort of emotion, because of the simple fact that emotion IS inspiration.

Zerglite

Reaction score
Thejanitor said:
There might be emotion in Diatenshi's avatar, but it isn't exceptionally good.
yea.. considering i made that in 5 mins, when bored, with some random filters

its not really "art"...