I'm sorry, Daryn...but...my Hell Knight > your orcs

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Ahahaha, this is so dumb. My argument never even had anything to do with emotion.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
jd-inflames said:
Show me a decent piece that doesn't have some sort of feeling behind it, Janitor.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Any form of art is build off of some sort of emotion, because of the simple fact that emotion IS inspiration.
I understand that. I totally get the emotion as inspiration angle. I don't debate that. I am just saying that not everything sketched out or doodled and posted for friends to see has to have some deep emotion driving it.

Janitor, thank you for your words, they calmed me down and it was refreshing to see a positive viewpoint. Made me feel like less than a COMPLETE failure as an artist. And just for the record, Bloodmatter and I aren't vicious rivals, we're rather good buddies who happen to share an interest and have some fun ragging on each other.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
I saw 2 threads referring to J-kar and bloodmatter, looks like some good rivalry and they don't seem to hate eachother.
I get it you're buddies but you have some good competition. I just hate the word emotion, the guy may of had a orgasm for inspiration for all i care but when an artists wants make a good picture/image and uses what ever techniques he uses well and puts effort into it blah blah.... that's what would make a good picture, not when someone says its got some made up type of emotion or feeling in it.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I understand both your view and JD's view, and agree to an extent with both of you. An artist's skill and style are the most principle ingredients to what the picture becomes, but feeling one puts into it is a big piece of the pie too, at least if you are trying to make something really excellent.

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
(_):::::: D

this picture of a penis was created from the inspiration from my "first time" and the emotion of the orgasm she felt. :rolleyes

sorry, but i felt like doing that. either way, it is true hat not everything has to have emotion. that penis can be considered text art, but no emotion was thought of when this object was created, but it was still inspired by something in real life. I think you guys are really confusing "inspiration" and "emotion" really bad. Re-read this post if you dont think so, then read all posts before this.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
AGH. This isn't about emotion or inspiration. It's about quit ****ing drawing contour fantasy art. As I said, anyone with a strong background in art will tell you to stop it. It's not going to increase your "skills of an artist". It's just stupid.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
...And I suppose that deep, "emotional" works that look like they are just imitating what countless other pathetic, angsty teens tried to accomplish WILL "increase your skills of an artist?"

And don't say it's stupid. That is a matter of opinion. I happen to find fantasy art to be much more interesting and aesthetic than lowly attempts at a tear-jerker.

Tell you what...you have your style, I have mine. We BOTH shut up.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Eh...first of all, thanks for trying to make fun of my painting based on your own interpretation of it. Second of all, most "angsty teens" draw shitty fan art. For instance, you. Case in point. Third of all, yes, most would agree that imitationalism is a good way to hone your artistic skills.

Oh yeah, and do you live in a trailer? I asked you that before, but you never answered.

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
*i live in a trailor right now, but we are having a new house being built*

what does that have to do with anything?

CB, im not trying to fight, but why would people tell you to stop drawing fantasy art? just curious, as fantasy art is still growing more popular with artists.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
Eh...first of all, thanks for trying to make fun of my painting based on your own interpretation of it. Second of all, most "angsty teens" draw shitty fan art. For instance, you. Case in point. Third of all, yes, most would agree that imitationalism is a good way to hone your artistic skills.

Oh yeah, and do you live in a trailer? I asked you that before, but you never answered.

Many big artists draw fantasy arts, and it is one of the most interesting art to look at, Dragons, elfs, demons, unicorns, orcs, mythical beasts, just strange and abnormal creatures that artists and authors conjure out of their minds. There are many interpretations of Tolkiens books, I have a book called the beastiery where the artist has displayed his image in his mind when he read the book. Thats why I enjoy fantasy books without pictures because I like to have my own image, my own brain has used the words to complete a fantastic world in my head. This is what a lot of fantasy artists do, they display their version on paper. More interesting than looking at pictures of buildings, humans, ect that we have already been staring at most of our lives.

Eh...first of all, thanks for trying to make fun of my painting based on your own interpretation of it
That's exactly what you did.
Second of all, most "angsty teens" draw shitty fan art.
Give me a picture of what he was supposed to have copied please or drop that shitty argument.
Ahahaha, this is so dumb. My argument never even had anything to do with emotion.
Not everything is about you, I was talking to someone else, get your head of your ass :).

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*claps for Janitor.*

Thank you very much. You summed up everything I was going to say, and better-phrased than I could have quickly come up with.

And CB, I know you already asked me that. I ignored the ridiculous and pointless evidence of your stupidity and hoped that you would redeem your intelligence by not bringing it up again, but you obviously aren't that smart. No, I do not live in a trailer. Do you?

And another thing...stop...calling...it...a...painting...a Photoshopped drawing is not a painting. Paintings involve real life brushes and paints, and generally some type of canvas. For someone who professes to have a solid background in art, your definition of "painting" is extremely sad. But hey, I guess that they only teach you that in high school classes.

JC-DV

Reaction score
who the **** cares? Its a shitty picture, end of story, and this fantasy art bullshit you've been crapping out is exactly the same over and over. ****ing try something different.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Obviously if you live in a house you must be smarter than anyone else and complete master pieces in exactly 3.5 minutes.
I was just making conversation. He looked like someone I knew.
That's exactly what you did.
No, I'm not interpreting anything. I'm simply stating that they're shitty fan/fantasy contour drawings. No interpretation at all.
Many big artists draw fantasy arts
Okay. If it's done well there's not much of a problem with it.
Photoshopped drawing is not a painting
It's a digital painting.
who the **** cares? Its a shitty picture, end of story, and this fantasy art bullshit you've been crapping out is exactly the same over and over. ****ing try something different.
Word.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
No, I'm not interpreting anything. I'm simply stating that they're shitty fan/fantasy contour drawings. No interpretation at all.
Like he stated that yours was simple and had no detail. Although when you are saying that he's copied it and the type of artwork he likes is all the same and shitty.

Welcome back.. Perhaps you should cut down on the swearing, it's hard to believe you have a intelligent point or a IQ over 20 with posts like that.

Good, mature post that points out flaws AND gives advice to help improve but also commends the good points of a picture.

Originally posted by J-kar
I see small differences between the sides of the face (eg: the wrinkles beneath the eyes) that lead me to believe that he didn't just mirror it, so I commend him on the symmetry.

I personally like the mustache/goatee. It suits the character and gives a better sense of personality to a face that would otherwise have less maturity to it. The facial hair conveys a better sense of age than the face would have in spite of the wrinkles, should he be clean-shaven.

The veins are intriguing, although I don't think they look like veins. They look more like some oddly-placed wrinkles, but they do also give a little more to the character. I'm the kind of person who likes to cover every part in detail, as you can see by the knight I posted, and while this picture doesn't need large amounts of detail to flow, the wrinkles don't hurt it any.

A tip, CB, for drawing veins in the future: they generally aren't so straight and parallel to each other. They spiderweb a lot more, and when just a few show, it looks more like an "x" or a "y", which is why a lot of time in animes a strained character will have a little "x" pop out on their forehead to represent veins. As a reference, try looking at an internal anatomy book that shows the veins and arteries of the human body, or if you don't want to get THAT in-depth and true-to-life, try looking at insect wings. The vein pattern in the wings is similar to our own.
This was in your thread CB, obviously the guy showed you a lot of repect by 1) Posting that much, complementing your picture while suggesting improvements instead of saying "7/10". 2) Actually being honest when it appears he had some gripes with you earlier.

CB's posts in this thread:
You're justifying your "art work" by saying that the character could beat up another character...? Okay, whatever.
Neither comments on actual art work or gives advice to help improve the piece.
The thing that strikes me the most about this piece is the brilliant imagination behind it. When it comes to large armored, horned things, this picture stands alone, exuding individualistic genius.
A sarcastic attack on J-kars picture and perferred type of art.

It's a tradegy that J-kar criticised you're picture soon after but you were asking for it. When someone tries to help you, I guess you repay them by turning their threads into a flaming competition. Nice one :).

Pains Requiem

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
*bows to the janitor*

everything i have wanted to say, the Janitor has said much better.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Although when you are saying that he's copied it and the type of artwork he likes is all the same and shitty.
I never said he copied anything. His entire point so far has been based on how my digital painting was an attempt to be emo.
Welcome back.. Perhaps you should cut down on the swearing
Yeah, swearing makes you unintelligent.
CB's posts in this thread
Meh, my original post was
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
an expression of mild frustration at the thread and attitudes of the people in the thread in general. Just my luck that the mod of GFX land actually visited the forum that day.
However, this is also a continuation of another argument:
You show little to no artistic growth. You are wallowing in a sea of redundancy.
So here's the entire point, summarized once again. Try not to miss it this time. Drawing fantasy art is not a good way to spend your time. Here's my constructive criticism: if you want to improve, stop drawing this stuff and start doing imitationalism. You can respond all you want with "It's just my style" and "There are lots of sucessful fantasy artists" but that's a cop out. I guarantee that most fantasy artists who you admire have a solid background in traditional imitational art. I guarantee they didn't hone their skills by posting "Hell Knights" and "Dark Archons" (which, by the way, totally isn't fan art) on an online forum. So, there's my constructive advice, which is basically what I've been saying all along.

We can continue this argument if you'd like. I'm ready. It's actually kind of fun for me.

Oh, by the way, thanks for the criticism on my picture. That thread seriously made me proud of the BF gfx forum. I think you're very passionate about art, which is good. I wish you'd try a style that would be more benefitial.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
I never said he copied anything. His entire point so far has been based on how my digital painting was an attempt to be emo.
That must of been souless then, but I believe some said about it being copied from a video game. Also when you used the term 'fan art', not realising it was a abreviation of 'fantasy art' I mistook it for the dictionary definition that would mean that he copied it off something he was enthusiastic about.
Yeah, swearing makes you unintelligent.
No, if you actually quoted a bit more.
it's hard to believe you have a intelligent point or a IQ over 20 with posts like that.
This in no way means that swearing makes you unintelligent although, swearing a lot or not being able to express yourself without swearing makes you appear unintelligent or make it hard for people to believe that he is intelligent.
Meh, my original post was
Man, ya'll always movin mah posts bitchez!1!
I'm not suprised they moved a post like that, correcting me by showing me that you posted something even more worthless wasn't the best idea was it? I'm suprised some of your other posts haven't been moved yet.
So here's the entire point, summarized once again. Try not to miss it this time. Drawing fantasy art is not a good way to spend your time.So here's the entire point, summarized once again. Try not to miss it this time. Drawing fantasy art is not a good way to spend your time.
He likes that type of art, so why not leave him to it, i'm suprised that you believe it to be a more unworthy art than others. Why draw a building when you can draw dragons and mythical beasts? Last time I went to a art museum there were considerably more pictures that were actually painted or drawn by hand than computer manipulated pieces, although I do respect work done on Photo shop and other programs the most famous and arguably the best artists all have used pencil and paper. I do realise that it will take a while for computer graphics to become more popular among artists, experts are more likely prefer fantasy art to computer graphics.
You can respond all you want with "It's just my style" and "There are lots of sucessful fantasy artists" but that's a cop out. I guarantee that most fantasy artists who you admire have a solid background in traditional imitational art.
How is computer graphics "traditional imitation art"? Maybe you should post you're work done on paper but that probably isn't you're 'style' sure you stray away from this to hone your skills but GFX isn't about posting pictures/sketches of how you honed your skills it's more about posting 'your' art and asking for opinion and advice.
I guarantee they didn't hone their skills by posting "Hell Knights" and "Dark Archons" (which, by the way, totally isn't fan art) on an online forum. So, there's my constructive advice, which is basically what I've been saying all along.
When did he claim that posting his picture/sketch here was honing his skills, that whole point has nothing to do with this thread what so ever. Why are we talking about how we hone our skills instead of actually commenting on and giving constructive criticism on the actual picture that has been posted? Obviously that wasn't you're point all along and I don't need to quote half a dozen posts to prove that.

The whole knight not being 'fan' art thing....
"fan art?" Is that what you think this is? Where have you ever seen a Hell Knight? Dude, this isn't a fan-art pic, this is original.
It's that stupid abreviation again making him believe the same thing as I did.

Oh, by the way, thanks for the criticism on my picture. That thread seriously made me proud of the BF gfx forum. I think you're very passionate about art, which is good. I wish you'd try a style that would be more benefitial.
That is the polite response, and would've of cut out a lot of this needless bickering if you posted like that earlier. If you respect eachother then you can both be critical of eachothers work without starting a three page flame fest. I consider this argument ended here, unless there's anything else.....

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Okay, since we're being civilized here, I will follow suit and correct the misconceptions you have apparently had.

1) My point was not simply bashing your picture. I liked it, and I've said that many times. All I have been saying about your picture being "emo" was that when you criticize me for not "being original" I find it to be the pot calling the kettle black. Works such as what yours appears to be are a dime a dozen, and hopelessly overdone. If you were deliberately mimicking a particular style or artist, then I can understand it. However, I consider such art to be as much a waste of time as you consider fantasy art to be.

Another thing, while I admit that the Dark Archon (which was a request by TrongaMonga) was fan art, the Hell Knight was not, as I have repeatedly said. You appear to overlook my numerous protests. The Hell Knight was original. Design, role, everything but the name. It's name was an unavoidable, overused working title. It is in no way an imitation of any other "Hell Knight." It's just...what exactly should I call it that defines it so well, eh? Oh, and yes, so I was inspired by Devil May Cry 3 to make monsters representing the seven deadly sins. That doesn't mean it's fan art. All art is inspired by something, and much is inspired by other art.

And yes, I have been having much fun with this thread. If you want, we can disregard these last couple of intelligent, constructive posts and return to acting like children.

EDIT: This was written in response to CB's last post, likely at the same time the Janitor was typing his. Yes, I was under the impression "fan art" meant drawing characters, situations, etc from an already published work. I apologize for the unintelligent attacks I made due to this misconception.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Hmm...when I said "fan art" I was refering to the work that you've done that was fan art, i.e. the archon and other sc images, just to clear that up. However, any time I use the words "fan art", "fantasy art", etc. I'm probably simply using it for lack of a better word to refer to your collective work in general.
That must of been souless then, but I believe some said about it being copied from a video game.
That was probably N talking about BM. I don't care whether it was copied from a video game or not. Most of my arguments can work for either JKar or BM.
This in no way means that swearing makes you unintelligent although, swearing a lot or not being able to express yourself without swearing makes you appear unintelligent or make it hard for people to believe that he is intelligent.
Meh, that's another seperate point of contention entirely. I'm sure we've discussed the necessity or lack there of of profanity before. If there's really a future in this argument I can try to find an old thread, but I'm not going to pursue it here.
I'm not suprised they moved a post like that, correcting me by showing me that you posted something even more worthless wasn't the best idea was it? I'm suprised some of your other posts haven't been moved yet.
I was suprised when my post got moved. No mods ever visit this forum. The forum gets a lot more fun when you realize that. For example:
Your symmetry is awesome...I also like the black lines. They're very black. Nice. Good use of...space...
Nice experiment. The year is 2005 and you just invented the wheel.
That sucks metaballs.
QuALITY MERcHANDISE AND FAST SHIPPING A++++++++++10/10
10/10 A+++++++ FAST SHIPPING
Meh, I kill myself.

By the way, looking through old threads to find those quotes I found this:
http://www.battleforums.com/showthread.php?t=87630

Are you still doing 3D stuff J'Kar? If so, continue doing that. If not, stop doing fantasy art and start doing that.

@The rest of TJ's post: I agree that the forum is about posting work and asking for advice. He posted work. I gave my advice. I would advice working more in an imitational style. I think it will give you a more solid foundation in art and it will be a lot easier to critique your pieces.
All I have been saying about your picture being "emo" was that when you criticize me for not "being original" I find it to be the pot calling the kettle black. Works such as what yours appears to be are a dime a dozen, and hopelessly overdone. If you were deliberately mimicking a particular style or artist, then I can understand it. However, I consider such art to be as much a waste of time as you consider fantasy art to be.
I've been to highschool and paged through teenager's "sketchbooks". So yeah...I agree with you that fantasy art can be fascinating. I've got books here on my shelf by Boris Vallejo and the Brothers Hildebrandt. I'm not going to draw connections between their work and yours for obvious reasons. They paint in an obvious imitational style despite the fact that their work depicts fantastic subjects. I think that if you seriously would like to pursue fantasy art you should build a stronger background in imitationalism...as I've been saying all along.
And yes, I have been having much fun with this thread. If you want, we can disregard these last couple of intelligent, constructive posts and return to acting like children.
Both are fine. It only takes a couple seconds to make the switch.