Forum Changes - Comments

Max

Member!
Reaction score
Lizardbreath said:
What is it you do in real life?
I'm a student. Website development is something I do on the side.

LizardBreath said:
How do you plan on moving the forums forward?
For those of you who care, BF is now on a private dedicated server with the following configuration: Dual Core Xeon 3060, 4GB DDR2 667, 2x250GB SATA II. I personally can't stand slow loading websites, especially when they're forums.

I hired Exaltic to design it.

vBSEO has been installed in order to increase the forum's search engine friendliness.

Once the new forum skin is complete, I'm going to hire another designer to create the portal's design. It will then be sent to the coder, and then to the programmer who will develop the content management system.

We're going to fill the portal with high quality content. I'm not quite sure what we're going to do, at this point, but I'm open to suggestions.

Whatever content we do host, will be user-submitted. BF will encourage user interaction. I was thinking a custom replay system where forum members can submit a replay and other members can download it, rate it, comment on it, etc. Another idea I've been throwing around is a custom screenshot system which would be similar to the replay system. When this happens, member profiles will be revamped to display the content the user has submitted.

Eventually we're going to host tournaments and competitions. These won't be for intangible prizes though, we're talking cash, games, subscriptions, t-shirts, etc.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
I'm a student. Website development is something I do on the side.

For those of you who care, BF is now on a private dedicated server with the following configuration: Dual Core Xeon 3060, 4GB DDR2 667, 2x250GB SATA II. I personally can't stand slow loading websites, especially when they're forums.

I hired Exaltic to design it.

vBSEO has been installed in order to increase the forum's search engine friendliness.

Once the new forum skin is complete, I'm going to hire another designer to create the portal's design. It will then be sent to the coder, and then to the programmer who will develop the content management system.

We're going to fill the portal with high quality content. I'm not quite sure what we're going to do, at this point, but I'm open to suggestions.

Whatever content we do host, will be user-submitted. BF will encourage user interaction. I was thinking a custom replay system where forum members can submit a replay and other members can download it, rate it, comment on it, etc. Another idea I've been throwing around is a custom screenshot system which would be similar to the replay system. When this happens, member profiles will be revamped to display the content the user has submitted.

Eventually we're going to host tournaments and competitions. These won't be for intangible prizes though, we're talking cash, games, subscriptions, t-shirts, etc.
See with somethign liek that I have a much greater understanding of what you plan on doing. With goals like that I can actually understand why you would want to do away with the Asylum.

Max

Member!
Reaction score
RyanXWing said:
1. Why was the asylum removed?
We don't want to entertain any hostile posts. If you need to vent your frustrations, please do it elsewhere. If you, for whatever reason, get heated over a member's post, please report it and we will deal with it. That said, if you can't enjoy the forums without getting angry, I suggest, for your own sake, you look elsewhere.
RyanXWing said:
2. What evidence do you have to support your claim?
What claim?
RyanXWing said:
3. Why are you so convinced that you will not allow it to come back?
So convinced about what? It's very simple. The Asylum is exactly what I want the forums not to be.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
I was never a member here, but I've been browsing for years. I'm not going to say I know the history very well, but I know it well enough to understand the commotion.
I could have sworn you were, maybe not an active one but a member all the same. I could be wrong though and this all could be some kind of crazy coincidence.

Metal Gear Flash

LaLiLuLeLo
Reaction score
I could have sworn you were, maybe not an active one but a member all the same. I could be wrong though and this all could be some kind of crazy coincidence.
im pretty sure i remember a "max" on the forums a couple years ago, but i guess that name isn't all that uncommon

Speaker

Premium Member
Reaction score
what was so great about the asylum? a reason to hate one another and say stupid **** and act like 6th graders. if the new owner doesnt want it there then either accept it or go elsewhere. all it did was create hostility

EDIT: holy crap this is a fast server

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
max who did u really buy it off u said u bought it from crooked but how can u if eric said he bought it from him wats going on there

Metal Gear Flash

LaLiLuLeLo
Reaction score
personally i dont like the fast server....its not practical with the time you have to wait between post...plus im a fast reader, so when im done posting in one thread, i surf to another, reply and BAM you must wait blah blah before you can post, so there i am like a ****head waiting to be able to voice my opinion on a gaming forum. QQ

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
lol damn right wats the point of a super fast server with this 1 minue waiting thing

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Now Max, you told you didn't want to release any info. What a sellout :p

As for these plans you are speaking of, they sound good to me. At first all I hear is skin this and skin that. A skin doesn't make or break a site, but the content you are portraying in said skin. Let me know what you are thinking more in depth, and I'll see what I can't do to help. I'm going to be working on a darker skin for Roach's site, but after that, you can use any knowledge that I have. I'm a bit...cheaper than whomever you are paying. My time is just not as friendly ;)

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
The pink void! No wait, we did that before. I'd like to see some of the smilies brought back though. And maybe expand into other game areas although people will be arguing with me about this being primarily a "Blizzard gaming forum".

- Amantis

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this works out...BF will be awesome once more :)

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of a community, I'm creating a thread dedicated to comments about the changes we have made to the forum. Please keep all comments to this thread.

Please keep it civil. We will read and respond to every comment, but at the same time, we will not tolerate blatant disrespect for the staff or other members.

Kindly review the new Forum Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.
In the spirit of being around the forum for a while now and seeing a lot of different changes I'll add my two cents.

Its just another change. A big one though. One that Eric thought he could make but didn't. Eric used to much force and started his sentences (with the notion of) ["since I own the place...."] it didn't work nor was it taken seriously. He's 16? 17? What do you expect? But we all learn. No hard feelings, no remorses on this end. :)

As for the more "professional" look. I like it. I do.
As for the "new" guidelines. We've ALWAYS had guide lines. It was rather if we chose to use or abuse it. That's simply it. Our active member base, which is a handful all know each other; what limits can be pushed and what will or will not be done about them.
Mainly, it was a lot more fun in the Asylum seeing people get pissed off and throwing a rampage across the forum. Especially making fun of people who pay from their own pockets. ;) But there were great moments of "silliness" there which we probably won't see now. At least not any farther then through PM's. We'll have to see.
Sadly I won't be here long enough to see these changes. Hopefully I will be able to pop in every so often to say hello to my comrades and keep up with SC2. :)

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
We've tried tournaments in the past and they never seem to work out. Our active member base would have to grow by much to have a successful tournament.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
We've tried tournaments in the past and they never seem to work out. Our active member base would have to grow by much to have a successful tournament.
Tournaments used to work. I even ran one or two of them myself. It's just that the less people whom actually play the game the less people to participate in the tournament. I'm debating on playing D2 again simply because currently my money situation is a mess so I can't pay for an MMO subscription for a bit..but ya..if I start playing I'll trying to organize a tournament..possibly iron man..everyone loved that one..