Why are Americans in love with their guns?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
If the 2nd amendment was made so the people could fight thegovernemt in case it got wrong, it is already useless. Never, in any way, can the people of the US (unless they all fight, which I doubt, and even then!..) defeat the US army by now. They are too strong to be defeated by people with hand guns and other things. Unless they buy from the islamic countries, but as most islamic countries bought their weapons from US army or Russia, the army will always be more advanced than the rebels.

And no one commented if people having guns could be because of the ecomincs interests there may be in the weapons indusry, one of the largest in the US.

KoOkGoOk

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Black~Enthusiasm
Who's pulling the crap now. Bush proved that you people are to much indiferent to mobilize and do anything agaisnt the government when it **** up the population. No, really, that's got to be the silliest argument, overtrow the governement in case. I am sure that gun will do a diference against the military's automatic rifle, swat, marines, tanks and jets.
And that has to be a sillier arguement. Have you ever heard of the revolutionary war??? The Colonists fought against all possible odds. Their foe was wealthier, better armed, and better led, but somehow we came through. Think of what would have happened if yi\our ordinary citizanen DIDN'T have a gun. It would just be mindless slaughter.

Canada USA
Firearms-related deaths, per 100,000 4.3 11.4

Even with stricter gun-control laws, Canada still has one-third as many fire-arm related deaths...Also, Canada has MANY less guns than the United States does, yet still has that many deaths. Canada should NOT be used as an effective example of gun control. lol :)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
You just seem to forget that in those wars, the better armed stuff meant artillery, and those were cannons, used by dismounted, without protection men. You could just charge and eleminate the artillery, and that'd give you a tremendous advantage in war.

But nowadays, even if you have an infalible aim, you can't kill the driver of a tank, or the pilot of a bomber with handgun.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
Whats stoping a mass murderer from using a knife? whats stoping him from using a crossbow to bow down fellow classmates? or plant TNT at foundations of a building. guns are just a thing to blame for violence. you can blame tv for a kid killing another kid right? ok then.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
bastard I could kill some1 with a pencil, but having a gun that can shoot long distances and definatlly kill him makes it much more conveniet... and where did that guy get those numbers for canada?

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
wait...paintball gun is concidered a gun....and it just kicks ass! thats why you should have guns...paintballguns that is.

InsaneSpearazon

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.shmanda.com
The original question was *why* Americans are in love with guns. It is because little boys (and now little girls too) have always been raised using toy guns. There are the ones that really look like guns, which are banned in some schools. There are dozens of other kinds, like water guns, paintball guns, etc. Parents and TV characters carry them and look "cool" to young people, who then want to get their own as soon as legally possible as a symbol of personal independence. Then you throw in first-person shooter games (I wonder how popular these are in England?) and music videos and there you have the reasons why Americans are obsessed with guns.

I live in the north and I've visited the south. The two regions still have very different cultures, despite the fact that the war is over. Guns are used and collected mostly by criminals in the north, whereas they are used and collected mostly by normal people in the south. Most northerners see guns as evil because gun deaths are reported on the news in big cities (like NYC and Philadelphia) every day as if they were no more signifigant than the weather report. Southerners, well I don't understand them; they love their guns. (yes that's a generalization =O)

That business about "defending ourselves against the government" is BS. There was no instant country-wide communication 200 years ago. Could you imagine what would happen today to the guy who decides to "defend himself" by pointing a gun at a congressman or army officer? No matter how many other loons go along with the gunman, you're going to have a massacre. And the government will keep order. They've got bigger guns and more (trained) manpower.

Back to my point, it's the whole image that causes this obsession. We're shown guns from a very young age as if they are perfectly normal to carry. And if you subscribe to the rumor that Americans are lazy, try this one on for size: A gun can do more damage in a shorter amount of time than any melee weapon.

Miss

Member!
Reaction score
Because theyve watched too much tv and played GTA too much! lol jk

what i rlly think is of course it not just in usa but im saying in public we are born with it just like our language and our laws and everything. We are born into this world of violence and guns.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
In other words, you think that we are in a violent era of destruction and mayhem? That kinda works in Asia, like Isreal area is getting attacked quite often and in other third world countries, there is war and torment.

NEVER give guns out for free, that is communism! :lucifer

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
Well, im making a stab at this subject again.

Ok, america has grown up with guns. In colonial times, colonies relied on the men to go out, hunt a bear or something, and bring it back to the colony to eat. Now, how easy is it to catch a bear/bird/deer with a knife or bow and arrow? not very. In revolutionary time of the usa, americans still hunted(instead of the standard brittish musket, american soldiers mainly carried hunting rifles which fired better accuracy) and used their rifles in fighting the brittish. Durring american expansion(very very very early cowboy era) people that explored the wilderness of america carried a rifle as a last resort weapon. In cowboy era, you could step outside your door to go feed the dog and be shot-down by indians, so it was smart to have a gun handy in case of indian raids(or mexican due to mex/american war) Goldrush time if someone was on your gold area, you gave em time to leave and if not....shoot em. now we are around what....late 1800's? Civil war, guns were used because many many people hunted with them and with great accuracy and chance to kill in low ammount of loss ammo, guns were used. really late 1800's is when industrial revolution started, guns were more widely spread through massproduction and assembly lines, so getting a gun was easier. WWI....by this time, almost all the world was using guns, notice i said ALMOST not ALL but ALMOST, so america went into france with rifles and pistols. WW2 pretty much the same issue, except more widespread. Vietnam-Iraq, guns were used because it would otherwise be a bitch to use a knife or bow and arrow. since a while back, police have used guns for protection agaisnt badguys with guns, and now swat teams fbi and many other operatives use guns because of their power. Citizens use guns for sport, hunting, recreation(paintballguns). So guns are in a sense, part of america and its history.

evilfrog331

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
America's obsession with guns?

I just watched that bowling for columbine movie and its pretty interesting (funny too). We have the most murders involving guns than any other country. In fact we have about 22 times the number of murders by a gun than the country with the second most. The movie said that one of the reasons could be the news is pumping fear into us when we watch it. And it has nothing to do with our access to guns and how America has violent movies and games. A bunch of other countries have the same things like Canada for example which only has like 50 gun murders a year.

What do you think the reason for this is?

Miss

Member!
Reaction score
There already was a long thread talking about this already. I will say once again, that Americas sure but it is a world-wide problem. As new-borns are raised they are brought up in this world surrounded by violence. So meaning it is apart of them. And places beside america have it alot worse. Us humans or "men" kill for "power". Power gives men an overwhelming feeling. They want to win, they want power. Of course this is not aimed at all men but its always on the mind. It is like LOTR how everyone wants the ring, the ring of POWER. Power rules men.

AmoK

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Maybe ppl own guns cuz they are just cool... the power to kill atracts the ppl since the human race appeared. Guns just mean power even if u don't use them it makes u feel powerful.

curage123

Member!
Reaction score
Let me try to sum this up.

1: Not all people use guns for violence, most either keep them for safty or there insane/a redneck/hunter/ in NRA.

2:Candians think they have better control over gun's then Americans.

3:Butterd toast is disgusting.

4:Guns were mainly designed for killing of People/Animals/Aliens.

5:Guns are part of Amercias history maybe a very mest up history but still history.

6:Guns dont kill bullets do AHEM sry GUns dont kill people do.

7: There sould be stricter gun laws but no gun bans.

8: People would get their asses kicked Revolting agaisnt the current u.s.a goverment guns or no guns, and giveing guns to people for this false safeness agasint the goverment(jsut to get innocent people killed becuase some person witha gun decided they dint like them) is comepletly obsurd.

9: I hope this grammer is good enough for you tempest storm.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
did u know oakland alone has more murders than some countries? its got like 60 right about now...sweeden has around 3!

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
You obviously know they have death punishments in Texas and Virigina, oh well, that kinda blows, I'd rather rot in a cell for 25 then to get executed for murdering someone (I AM NOT going to murder anyone.)

Seamus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well saying that all americans love guns and that "cowboys" were all a bunch of idiots is demeaning. Self-Security is not really an excuse..if you walked in New York City or Boston and someone cornered u in an alley or sometihng you wouldnt want anything to defend yourself? You are probablly not an american citizen, or if you are you are an un-educated one. Its a constitutional right to bear arms. of the first 12 ammendments to the constitution 10 of them were ratifyed to make the bill of rights. The second Amendment guarentees americans the right to serve in a state militia and bear arms. If someone has already discussed this i didnt bother checkin all 100 posts so sorry lol. Where are you from tronga?