No god...

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok i know there have been threads but who cares....

I am writing a thesis about how there is no God.

I am going to start it off with a quote by Nietzsche which is followed....

"The overman ("superman") is virtuous when he frees himself from the belief in God and from the hope of an afterlife; he is nauseated by the rabble and his joy comes from surpassing those who live by false hopes and beliefs."

From there I will talk about how alot of people use god as a crutch and how they find solace that "someone" is always listening and some people put their futures in the hand of god. Like some people say its all god's plan, god will see me through this.

I will elaberate on these key points and make others... but what are some of your oppinions on god or the quote.

cxoli

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
cxoli.net
Originally posted by Forged
However when someone trys to use their deity to justify hatred or to opress me then it bothers me...
I totally agree with that.

I'm Christian and do believe in God, and therefore disagree with the quote from Nietzsche. I think that's it's important for people to have something to believe in. I also believe in the statement that, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent Him." Religion, to me, seems like a way to satisfy that human need to feel as though we're not alone in the universe.

I do not pray to God simply because I have a problem and believe that He is listening or He will see me through all of my troubles. I think God made us human for a reason, so that we have the power to make our own decisions and create our own happiness. It's rediculous to believe that God will solve all of your problems. I think it's even rediculous to believe that everything had already been planned out by Him. I like to think that if He has the power to interfere, then He also has the power not to.

Honestly, it annoys me when people use God as a crutch or justification for their actions. What is it that makes people think God agrees at all with what they are doing? How could you be so sure of yourself as to say that you know you are doing "God's will?"

In short, I can't really prove or disprove God, in the same way I can't prove to you such simple things like the fact that I love my family or that I like eating chocolate. Still, I'm going to continue believing what I want and letting other people believe whatever they want.

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Cert
go u

religion was probaly invented by same damn canadian like 10,000 years ago to explain how some things happened when they didnt know how they happened.

You are right on the reason, but not the country.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Guess that was a metaphora.

And I also agree with it, the bible was definetly wrote by men of that time... For example, women are almost crap in the Bible. They were only there to cook, have children and cry.

c9h13no3

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Nietzsche was an idiot. The majority of christians I know aren't using religion as some sort of crutch. Maybe in the 1800's (?) when he was doing his writing it was different, however, now days, his thoughts are outdated.

Btw, could you get any more cliche about how there is no God. I love how everyone is an atheist these days because it's not cool to be a Christian.

Cert
to explain how some things happened when they didnt know how they happened

Is it so bad that someone wants to ponder "the big questions"? What happens after we die, how did the universe come into existance.... these are all valid questions that will ALWAYS be worth answering for a lot of people. Religion is not the Jehova's Witness at your doorstep or the preaching anti-gay Baptist on the street corner, and I really wish that people would stop treating it as such.

Trognamonga
And I also agree with it, the bible was definetly wrote by men of that time... For example, women are almost crap in the Bible. They were only there to cook, have children and cry.

So does that discount the Golden Rule? Does that discount the 10 commandments? Sure there are cultural///man injected parts in the bible. However, if you study the bible, and figure out which parts are just cultural refuse, and which parts are applicable to leading a more fufilled life, then how is the Bible so bad?

cxoli

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
cxoli.net
Originally posted by c9h13no3
So does that discount the Golden Rule? Does that discount the 10 commandments? Sure there are cultural///man injected parts in the bible. However, if you study the bible, and figure out which parts are just cultural refuse, and which parts are applicable to leading a more fufilled life, then how is the Bible so bad?
That's true. Whether or not you are Christian, the Bible still teaches valuable lessons that should be followed by all people, not just those who believe in God. However, some people take the cultural elements within it and try to use those to justify things like being anti-gay or not allowing women the same rights as men, and that's what bothers me.

Originally posted by Cert
religion was probaly invented by same damn canadian like 10,000 years ago to explain how some things happened when they didnt know how they happened.
Christianity was "invented" by the followers of Jesus after His death and resurrection, not because they wanted to explain why some thigns happened, but simply because they believed He was the Son of God. Religion isn't about needing to have an explanation for everything. It's simply about putting faith in what you believe in, and realizing that some things just can't be explained.

Originally posted by TrongaMonga
And yet some people still take the Bible literally today. The truth is that the Church seems to always need a group to persecute....Not too long ago, the leaders of the Church were still debating whether or not women had souls. There are always people who are going to use the Bible as justification for things like that. Honestly, it sickens me.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by c9h13no3
Nietzsche was an idiot. The majority of christians I know aren't using religion as some sort of crutch. Maybe in the 1800's (?) when he was doing his writing it was different, however, now days, his thoughts are outdated.

Bush (war in Iraq, he said somehting like may God help us) thats one big one, but i am sure the are more, i know there are more.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
What's the Golden Rule?

And, no, it does not discount the 10 commandments. Those are to be followed either there is a God or not.

But a divine being that loves all equally would not have created the woman in second place. Just doesn't makes much sense.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Everyone should follow the rules of God because it makes good and caring people. But no one should believe in God, because He does not exist.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by TrongaMonga
For example, women are almost crap in the Bible. They were only there to cook, have children and cry.
Ever heard of Esther, Ruth, Sarah, Deborah, Bathsheba, or Hannah? Among many others, these woman are portrayed very strongly in a positive light. Woman werent "almost crap"....

Originally posted by SlyFie
But no one should believe in God, because He does not exist.
You seem to believe this very strongly. Prove it. :eek:

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can't prove it to you, just like you can't prove me vice versa. But to myself I can believe it. And the science overpowers the Bible for me at the moment, but everything might change.

Its all about personal opinoin and events that have happened in your lifetime.

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Lights
Ever heard of Esther, Ruth, Sarah, Deborah, Bathsheba, or Hannah? Among many others, these woman are portrayed very strongly in a positive light. Woman werent "almost crap"....

You seem to believe this very strongly. Prove it. :eek:
Disprove it.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
are you kidding me w/ sarcasm?

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Im atheist cus i just think that way. and i got science to back me up.

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
im sensing mass ignorance on both sides >< you cannot prove or disprove god, its simply not possible. i dont believe i any god because even if the christian god did exist i wouldnt much like the bastard... i am not very familiar with any other religions but i gave up on religions so i guess i dont really need to be. if something happens like god shows himself to me and i have no doubt in my mind he exists and he isnt as evil as christianity portrays him.. i'll start believing. if not i dont give a damn what anyone believes, ill just live my life without the religion factor.