$800 PS3

Would you buy a Sony PS3 for $800?

• Total voters

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
That doesn't matter, it's about the retail cost of a Blu-Ray DVD player, which are going to be 800+.

If a PS3 is going to have a Blu-Ray DVD player, then it's going to have to cost the same amount (if not more) than the lowest Blu-Ray player. The lowest Blu-Ray Recorder is slated at just under 4k$.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
x42bn7 said:
Why shouldn't it have hit 20mil :| Xbox is a great system, hell it was even better than the GC in terms of games/3rd party support. even you should know this. and lmao, so what if M$ is backing hd-dvd? HP, Dell and Apple are backing blu-ray, which M$ needs for their OS.
HP is backing HD also.

Of course the guy in the hd-dvd camp will say space isn't a factor and their codecs are better, lmao. And the reason all these movie companies are backing Blu-Ray is mainly the disc capacity.
That wasn't the point of what I posted, the point was teh blu-ray side said it is unlikely anyhtign will be more than 25 gig disks. So if a Blu-ray disk is going to be cosing 800$ for a player, and the lowest HD DVD is going to be costing 400$, what do I need more? 10 gigs, or the extra 400$.

Remember when PS2 was launching? Kutaragi said "PS2 won't be over $900" then it launched at $299. Also some people speculated that with all the tech inside the PSP, it would cost over $500. Sony has proven people wrong over and over again about the price of their console. It's called marketing strategy. Trying to convice people that a $800 dollar PS3 would be possible, then launch it at $399. Like what they did to the PS2 and PSP.
I really don't remember/nor care. DVD players at that time were the same price as the 300$ PS2. The blu-rays however won't be low, and Sony isn't doing so hot anyways, I doubt they can afford to take a huge loss by underpricing. They are really going to market thier product solely on Brand name.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
hmm....

1 ps3

or

800 crispy chicken nuggets...

ill take the chicken nuggets :D

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
It's actually 4,000 Crispy Chicken Nuggets.

Trojan

Respected Member
Reaction score
You are all stupid. PS3 will have different package types like the 360 did. It will have the core package with the console and controller (not blue ray) and a full package with blue ray included. Doubt me if you want but Sony doesn't have a choice other than to release two different packages.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
And look at the XBox 360. The HD Drives are going to be as much as the system itself.

However, PS3's technology is based AROUND Blu-Ray, so as to it being optional, if very unlikely.

Trojan

Respected Member
Reaction score
Who said it was being based around blu-ray. All it needs to have is the normal cd drive and the hard drive. It doesn't NEED a blu-ray drive which is why I said it will be optional.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Sony did at CES 05, and CES 06.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The only reason Microsoft is backing HDDVD is because Sony is backing Blu Ray. Microsoft is just trying to screw over the compitition...

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
And the only reason that Sony is backing Blu-Ray is because they invented it. So technically they're not backing it, it's just something they invented and plan on using.

The real only reason why Microsoft is backing HD is because Sony won't allow Microsoft to use Blu-Ray technology, and HD is the currently only thing that can "counter" it.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
I never buy anything from a gaming comany till after 6 months, due to game play errors, price, and ability to actually find one.

Originally the PS2 was supose to be alot more then what it was when it was released. Maybe this is along the same lines with the rumor.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Trojan said:
Bungie said Halo 2 would come out in like 2002 but it didn't now did it.

What does that have to do with anything?

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
False Hope said:
What does that have to do with anything?
Probably saying just because they say one thing, doesn't mean it is going ot happen/is true.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
No, the real reason M$ is backing hd-dvd is because BR is using JAVA for its menu system. Microsoft HATES Java. Because its the main opponent to MS' .Net initiative. Its the main competitor to C#, and worst of all, it runs equally well on non-Microsoft platforms (read: LINUX).

And wtf, why would Sony release two sdk's, one with Blu Ray and one without? :| All the games will be using BR discs because everything will be in HD :\

And Microsoft announced that if HD-DVD flops, it will adapt to blu-ray.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Sony will not allow Microsoft to use Blu-Ray, unless they pay them a huge amount of cash. They've already said that before. This is the major reason why M$ isn't using it.

We're going in circles here.

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
XxSworn_EnemyxX said:
I never buy anything from a gaming comany till after 6 months, due to game play errors, price, and ability to actually find one.

Originally the PS2 was supose to be alot more then what it was when it was released. Maybe this is along the same lines with the rumor.
unless of course its nintendo. Nintendo has been doing a VERY good job with their systems, i have never had an error whatsoever with my GC, and i have pumped hours upon hours playing zelda, pikmen, seal of fire, ff chronicles...never ONCE did it freeze up or slow down on me. The revolution...i really hope they can pull it off, it looks like it'll be an amazing system if they pull it off right...i might get a ps3 after a while though

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Price check: 600$ for the high end. The high end has a very shitty BluRay DVD player, which a good one would of added at least 100$.

**** every single one of you that said the system is going to come out at under 500.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site