$800 PS3

Would you buy a Sony PS3 for $800?

• Total voters

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
PS3's will be 399.99 If they release in 07. If they sold it any sooner for that price, they would be taking a HUGE shot on Blu-Ray DVD players, and is very unlikely that Sony will do it.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sony owns the best nanometer hardware processing plants in the world. they can produce their hardware cheaply. like i said Sony has always sold at a loss. they gain it back on liscensing fees and whatnot.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
x42bn7 said:
Sony owns the best nanometer hardware processing plants in the world. they can produce their hardware cheaply. like i said Sony has always sold at a loss. they gain it back on liscensing fees and whatnot.
While this may be true, they would be losing a HUGE amount of money and they woudl be wastine a ton of recourses if it's released soonish with a 400$ price tag.

I have no doubt that you know what you're talking about when it comes to this kind of stuff, but trust me, so do I. Remember when DVD players first came out, and they were 800+ a piece? If the PS2 came out around that same time, the pricetag would of been huge because it's a DVD player in itself. It's the same basis.

I don't know how to explain it any other way for everyone else to realize...Maybe I'll draw a picture and post it to better explain it.

TheJanitor

Aka ORC-r0x0r-ROC
Reaction score
This blue ray shit wont be 900$+, so noone even you Imike wont buy the PS3 for 800$ and it won't even be 800$.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Are you an idiot? Blu-Ray technology will be expensive as shit when it first comes out. Just like VCRs, and Flatscreen TVs, and DVD players, and Plasmascreen TVs, and Stero System upgrades...And pretty much every consumer electronic.

I'll have to go to Sound Advice sometime in the next month and get their prices on Blu-Ray DVD players, and come show you that they're around 1k+

Edit:

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0 said:
Sony's first generation recorder will land on Japanese retail shelves on April 10, at a price of $3,815. It looks similar to the prototype Blu-ray player that Sony showed at the Ceatec show in Japan last October.
3.815Grand. I believe the term "shut the **** up, because you have no clue what you're talking about" comes into play here. That's on a Recorder, which recorders won't cost 3grand more than a normal player. Don't argue with me on this issue, you are wrong.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The sad thing is, is that if HDDVD overcomes Blu Ray, the PS3 will basically be done and retired. Hopefully, Blu Ray will win the battle and keep PS3 in the market.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I don't believe that at all, the DVD functions isn't going to make or break the PS3. It will help a bit, but not much, expecially to where it would destory the PS3 all together.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
HD DVD is going to debute at 500$ likely, so blu-ray is ****ed. An 800$ PS3 isn't going to sell, especialy since it will be $1000 in Canada. That shit is so not going to sell, it is like the Neo Geo, the "best " console on the market technicaly, but it was jsut too damn expensive.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Gimme a link to HD DVD debuting at 500. I'm not big into that, I'm more of a Blu-Ray techie guy.

I'm not doubting you or anything, I just don't think that it's right. It wouldn't make sense for Blu-Ray to be that much more expensive to a competitor. Expecially when the "prize" is the new media style.

But then again, I could be wrong.

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
ROFL. you dont necessarily have to buy one. you can just steal one ^^. i would buy it for 800 if it had the money. cant wait to get my hands on metal gear solid 4.

yes. i know im getting ripped if i do buy it but i dont care.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some company announced a $500 HD-DVD player at CES. can't remember which though.

Blu-Ray is ****ed? Let's see, Blu-Ray has more support from movie companies than HD-DVD does, It has more features than hd-dvd, it has more capacity than hd-dvd, plus the PS3 is going to have a BR drive with it. and beleive me, PS3 won't be over $500. Sony didn't become #1 this gen by making stupid decisions like overpricing a PlayStation console or releasing two sdk's like M$ did. they will keep their price competitive.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Toshiba unveiled two HD-DVD players, the first ones for the U.S. market. The HD-XA1 and HD-A1 will retail for $799.99 and $499.99 respectively and be available in stores in March, the company said.

x42bn7 said:
Blu-Ray has more support from movie companies than HD-DVD does,
Yet Microsoft is backing HD DVD... You don't go against Microsoft who was able to buy 20 million gamers with the xbox, a system which by all rights should have never hit the 1 million mark.

It has more features than hd-dvd, it has more capacity than hd-dvd,
and I quote
because of Blu-ray's complicated design, HD DVD will triumph in the format war [said a HD-DVD camp representative]….Through the use of better codec technology, such space is not actually needed for high-definition movies. In fact, Blu-ray admitted to BetaNews that most discs won't go beyond the 25GB mark
So everyone saying 50 GB over 15 GB is pure bullshit. If it is a matter of 10GB, and a price difference of 400$, I think i'll go with HD DVD.

plus the PS3 is going to have a BR drive with it. and beleive me, PS3 won't be over $500. Sony didn't become #1 this gen by making stupid decisions like overpricing a PlayStation console or releasing two sdk's like M$ did. they will keep their price competitive.
Except, the president said many times, that the ps3 IS going to be expensive, and actualy said he wanted his buyers to have to work hard to get the system...

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
As far as I know that 500$ player is going to be like the bottom of the line stuff. However, it's still going to be a 500$ player. I believe that they're going to be a bit more expensive than that for a decent one. The 500$ one doesn't have any DSP sound outputs or the usb ports on the front.

However, to most people that won't actually matter.

Majesty

Defiler, deux
Reaction score
I do not plan on buying one, let alone pay a little less than a grand for some overrated game console.

It better give head for that price.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
pan said:
Yet Microsoft is backing HD DVD... You don't go against Microsoft who was able to buy 20 million gamers with the xbox, a system which by all rights should have never hit the 1 million mark.
Why shouldn't it have hit 20mil :| Xbox is a great system, hell it was even better than the GC in terms of games/3rd party support. even you should know this. and lmao, so what if M$ is backing hd-dvd? HP, Dell and Apple are backing blu-ray, which M$ needs for their OS.

So everyone saying 50 GB over 15 GB is pure bullshit. If it is a matter of 10GB, and a price difference of 400$, I think i'll go with HD DVD.
Of course the guy in the hd-dvd camp will say space isn't a factor and their codecs are better, lmao. And the reason all these movie companies are backing Blu-Ray is mainly the disc capacity.

Except, the president said many times, that the ps3 IS going to be expensive, and actualy said he wanted his buyers to have to work hard to get the system...
Remember when PS2 was launching? Kutaragi said "PS2 won't be over $900" then it launched at $299. Also some people speculated that with all the tech inside the PSP, it would cost over $500. Sony has proven people wrong over and over again about the price of their console. It's called marketing strategy. Trying to convice people that a $800 dollar PS3 would be possible, then launch it at $399. Like what they did to the PS2 and PSP.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You arn't understanding the point. It would be a huge money sink if they release it any cheaper than Blu-Ray DVD player.

I can't really explain it any other way...

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you even know how much it costs to make the BR drive for the PS3?