P~Photon Cannons suck?

Simon_The_Wise

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.internationalgames.tk
Photon Cannons suck?

It seems that photon cannons basically do nothing.
if someone has a guardian or muta, they can kill the cannons
without getting hit(right out of range).

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hey man at least cannons can attack ground and air. sukens can only attack ground but no dectection so wraiths might be able to kill them

turrets can only attack air so they would die by ground attack and bunkers would die from cloaked units

spores don't have great range as the other 2 and it fires slowly. cannons kinda give some of the best it attacks ground and air. it's a dectection and the attack power does not decrease because of it's an air or ground unit

Simon_The_Wise

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.internationalgames.tk
but the cannons are useless if you are attacked out of range,
(Dragoons(singualarity charge), Guardians, Muta's)
All of which own towers. They only work good on newbs, because they may not know how sucky the range is.

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ok, i build a cannon or two at the beginning of the game behind buildings to assist my zealots countering rush. spread cannons throughout your base, no massively but enough to get easy detection. no immobile unit should be your only defense. defense should be mostly mobile units, but cannons are nice to have around to help in fights close to home and detect.

Dark_Phantom

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Who ever says that cannons sucks are just newbies haven't discovered their full potential. I admit that cannons do not have the dominaton of range. However, think about it, it can shoot both ground and air. It can be built quicker than the other defenses. And lets face it, once a guardian attacks, you should have enough of an aeiral army to face them off. Otherwise, you're dead anyway. Once the guardian attack, which is far enough into the game to build scouts if you are protoss and wraiths if you are scouts. If you are really good, you will have the perfect strategy against such a force.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
nad it is also a detector unlike bunkers u need men to use it right and they can't detected unless by turrent
suken can't do that eirther unless a spore or a lord is i nthe area. cannons may not have the best range but think bout this if u plaied a comp in the eirther days a terren comp bary never build turrnets and mostly only the comsat. but take out the comsat dt kills the comp. toss many comps still ugild cannons somewhere so they can still see the dt and attack it

yeoj

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i find cannons very useful when expanding. i dont build a nexus right away instead i put around 3-4 cannons around the expansion site for defense.:shoot

irunthemile

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the guard owns cannons because of its range, but in reality the cannon is good for d because it costs no supply and it detects and kills shit, great for earlier d and to protect important spot like ur minerals, u do need a lot of them though.

Kingsirmixalot

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
but dont forget scouts u should have scouts that can take gaurdians out with no prob cause they cant attack air and dragoons are good to u know cannons rock

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
only set back cannons have is there expensive 150 minerals

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeha true don't u hate it when u want to build something bt u don't for it might be a waste? :/

irunthemile

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
dont waste all ur $$$ on cannons but get them because they can be an early warning and stop thuings like ghosts and ling rushes

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
They can't stop a huge ass army of advanced enemies, even in high numbers. Its worse if your are facing terran and you use the stackhack to stack the cannons, since they are all on one spot, splash damage does full to each one and a bunch of tankz can take advatange of that. But they can help you early on, from zealots and other weak units.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
man if u ever play comp stomp long ago, terren comp is stupid. everytime they try to get to me my cannons kill them all until they bring the tanks but usual i kill them with DTS before that happens