P~Photon Cannons suck?

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Out of curiosity, how do you play pvz without cannons if they suck so badly as you all say they do?

GuArDiAn

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
cannons are costeffective in terms of Damage/Time. not in terms of hit points/minerals. make the zealots absorb the blunt of enemy attack.

cliff cannons own.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
Out of curiosity, how do you play pvz without cannons if they suck so badly as you all say they do?
I need them even in Micro Jail, it takes 2 shots to kill a ling and 4-5 to kill a hydralisk. I have two layers of cannons (making 10 i think) plus a wall of 2 pylons at the mouth (if I was on top or bottom it'd be 1-3. Without cannons you can only mass men, and you get 6lr ed too easily.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I dunno. I just don't see toss playing zerg without them. Just a few since goons perform horrbily against mutas and lings. If zerg does ling harassment it's gg toss. I think just a FEW cannons are needed with zeals, of course.

Oh wait, I didn't even read the whole thing before I posted.

Dark-Shenlong

Member!
Reaction score
cannons dont suk and they dont own. but cannons against comps is good def. Cannons against PEOPLE=A WASTE TIME. THe person can get tanks or guards and boom like 5k spent on getting cannons gone. so cannons alone dont hit the spot. U need a lot more units and combo things like maelstrom, mC, psionic, and/or statis

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
cannons are great early game defense if not massed. put 3 or 4 behind buildings and let them take free hits while your zealots are engaged with the enemy. micro not mass.

Raccoon

Post Djinn
Reaction score
I place 1-2 Cannons around a Nexus that is warping in. I know that I could have the same protection using units, but it has become more of a habit then anything else.
Cannons don't suck by the way.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Originally posted by Phoenix2003
Just a few since goons perform horrbily against mutas and lings.
You are abusolutly correct, goons do 1/2 (10-12) to lings and muta and it is believed that lings counter goons in high numbers.
But they are super against any mecha in the area, I have sumtimes massed goons on a base and they destroy and armor and mecha in a few shots. But I offense with them, not defense, unless the scenario forbids attacking with them.

ihatebeaners

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
guards are not what you have to worry about... because of scouts. but if a player goes mass lings, with some defilers for darkswarm, your screwed. as a zerg ,its my fav. thing in he world, to fight a player with a large host of cannons... they do shit. better to focus those minerals on goons and lots. but, if you MUST use cannons, put nexus' in front of them, and reavers among them... helps a SHIT LOAD

ChrisH36

Reaction score
You need melee, if your dark swarmed, the only way to damage the units within the field is melee-type or use of powerful air. But I go ground in this case, unless the dark swarm enemies are just lings or ultras (who'd mass ultras anyway?)

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
there talking about melee games cannons are ok early but u should depend on it mid and late much

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Originally posted by Black knight dragoon
but photon cannons make create dedfense in used map seetings like kings and knights
You should have read up the thread a little more, the post was about dark swarming and the guy said that using dragoons against swarmed lings and/or hydra would save his ass, WRONGO!

RATMex_B

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Combination

Like Dark-Shenlong wrote, one single type of a unit is always useles. And the cannons are no exception. Combination is the key.

E.g. my standard defense is (depending on needed force) 2/3 cannons, 2/4 high templars, 2/3 observers. This can stop most of the attacks.
If it needs more force, I support it with some zealots and dragoons and if that shouldn't be still enaugh, I put some carrier(s) behind, to make it an ultimate defense formation.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
That is if you get dark swarmed and the enemy masses 3/3 lings and hydra into the cloud, then they could just destroy the cannons from in there, then the high templar would be next, finally the carriers. Carriers swarm on one unit and if there are like 10 Hydra on one, the hydra would slaughter the carrier.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
who loses carriers to dark swarm? Not that I'm advocating there usage in pvz or anything. They can just pull back then move in with zeals or temps or something.

RATMex_B

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Hellwolf_36
That is if you get dark swarmed and the enemy masses 3/3 lings and hydra into the cloud, then they could just destroy the cannons from in there, then the high templar would be next, finally the carriers. Carriers swarm on one unit and if there are like 10 Hydra on one, the hydra would slaughter the carrier.
Oh, really? I assume, that the zerglings and hydralisks will just ignore the psionic storms and that the dark swarm will make them invulnarable to zealots attacks.
If that is the case, then you're right. That will show them. :D

SilverSteel

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Photon Cannons is just a unit, and like any unit has a strong point and weak point.

A group of Photon Cannons could beat the whole enemy's base, but also the weak point is that, Tarran's Tank and Zerg's guardian or muta then its dead, so it will be wise to build some other unit arround it to protect it. (I always use Photon first and then try to mind control some of Tarran's SUV, then I have Tarran armies to protect my cannons and attack Zerg and the other Tarran if they had any.)

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Originally posted by SilverSteel
Photon Cannons is just a unit, and like any unit has a strong point and weak point.

A group of Photon Cannons could beat the whole enemy's base, but also the weak point is that, Tarran's Tank and Zerg's guardian or muta then its dead, so it will be wise to build some other unit arround it to protect it. (I always use Photon first and then try to mind control some of Tarran's SUV, then I have Tarran armies to protect my cannons and attack Zerg and the other Tarran if they had any.)
Uh if it is a unit how did u move em?