Diablo III Storyline Ideas

earthwolf82

Reaction score
I posted this one awhile ago on the-next level forums - seems a better place to share :) Hopefully I can be a good member to you guys not a pain in the ass;)

Firstly set the game in the late 16th century, a time when flintlock and cannon were comming into fashion, but the old ways still persisted. Would be a great time period I think...

My idea. After the 3 prime evil's where banished from earth, the lesser demons Azmodan and Belial scheemed and dealed a new invasion plan, after discovering that rips in the fabric of space and time where growing between sanctuary and the pits of hell. The two demons prepare for war, arming their troops and preparing them for the final chapter of the Sin War....

Okay your probably saying you have heard it all before, but heres my twist.. You can either be rightous or evil (people have mentioned this online already, but I have craved been the bad boys for ages:p Tie fighter days heheh)

You could choose for instance a vile lancer(amazon type) an Abyss Knight(Paladin type) A balrog (much much larger barb) and so on, I'll let you guys think about the others, maybe create some seperate classes...

The goal for good would be - Destroy Belial and Azmodan
The goal for evil would be - Destroy Tyreal and eventually the almighty himself. (the christian parents would really hate this lol)

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Good and Evil sides have already been discussed out the ass. I don't see why not, but I also don't see why. The 4 diablo "games" have always been you going against evil, not you going against evil, or you going against good.

Also, Azmodan and Belial are currently at war with one another over who controls hell. They care not about the affairs of man (stated in the Diablo II manual somewhere) so why would they team up to tackle earth?

earthwolf82

Reaction score
Hi AoV, I can see it has been already discussed - but I just liked the idea too - I did cut and paste this from something I typed a year ago, so yeah hence why I felt it was so revolutionary:) With Belial and Asmodan - maybe they where busy with their own matters at the point diablo 2 was set, things can change with time seeing as my idea is set in a later period. Why not attack Sanctuary? demons only crave more and more power, and Sanctuary would be your footstep to heaven, especially now because there is no worldstone protecting the planet anymore. I just feel the original prime evils story has been told and something different may be interesting.

I did hear a rumour ages ago - that Tyreal had created the whole scenario so he could unleash the full force of hell upon earth. Toying with that idea - maybe they could base it upon a new demon - One who is not mentioned even by hell Itself. Dark and depraved he is the father of darkness, his name is Moloch, and he is older then the world of Sanctuary itself.

From the lowest depths of hell he seethed, responsible for all the events in Sanctuary - controlling all including Tyreal and the heros of Sanctuary,the three prime evils and their forces of hell, posistioning them for the day the Worldstone would be destroyed. The day he could reign true destruction upon Sanctuary - then commit the ultimate act of the sin war - an assult upon heaven. By opening a new gate upon earth Moloch plans to open a portal not to hell, but too the old ones - the demon gods that are his brothers and sisters for a full scale assult on heaven. (These guys are lovecraftian in nature massive and powerful.)

Some new classes I feel would rock

Angel - Would have the wings of Tyreal - but they would begin very small and grow in calibur with experience.
*Angels would be gifted with a full tree of holy magic
*Calibur of wings could give bonuses vs demons an inate improvement that is clearly visable:D

Demon - A demon, who has seen the light. Would be like Balrog. After a paladin used conversion upon him this demon did not turn back to the darkness, when the light of conversion had extinguished, and now he is a warrior of the light. Some advantages would be -

*Mind control - Could basically control all lesser demons and monsters with a variety of skills based on this tree
*Inate Fire resistance - would have a permanent 75 resist to fire. but a permanent -50 vs ice magic
*Demonic Fire magic tree - no fire resistance can block this magic

Astral gazer - A man who is in tune with the space time continuem - he can control the fabric of space and time around him. He can control time, and affect opponents with psychic attacks and illusionary assults.

*His skill trees would be - Time, PSI and Illusions

Anyways time to shut up:)

SPY46

Reaction score
mercs and story

ok ive got it in the first act all charictors statr the same as in d2 but the next act will be different for each char as it is only part of the story with different endings, you get all mercs in the first act but as the acts go on you can upgrade your merc to a different type of what he is ( act 5 the barbs running around out side in the mountains and the mercs you buy from quel and they can keep changing as they go and turn some thing looking abit like the anchent barbs ie look equip skills ect it could work people ) ( ironwolf turns more pali looking geing a crown and crown shield ect) over all theyll get heaver armor betterlooking weapons skills and what ever else you can think of i think that should do nicely for a while :lucifer

Glowy

Premium Member
Reaction score
If they do make a 3rd it will be about belail and his sister i think...i'm going 2 haft 2 re red the d books now..but theres are more demons than the prime evils thats trying 2 take over hell

Apuca-Leirbag

Member!
Reaction score
XxSworn_EnemyxX nice story, very. If that would be the outcome o f the d3 i would play for life. Whole new concept.

xXEnvyXx

Reaction score
New Member Speaking

I would fall in love with D3 if it was anything like XxSworn_EnemyxX's plot. But, as a 4-year player of D1, Hellfire, D2 and the D2xp, I have to add some ideas.

~Characters~
I think D3 should feature all of the chars from every Diablo game- Amazon, Assassin, Barbarian, Necromancer, Paladin, Druid, and Sorceress, Rogue, Warrior, Sorcerer, (or change him to Mage), and Monk. I would love to see another female hero, just to even things out a little more. She should be something like one of Andarial's sucubbi, except not evil. But she would have the sucubbi power of killing men in their sleep. Make that into a skill somehow... Her weapons could be something like shuriken, (small blades used in the ninjitsu style), and wear an outfit like the corrupt rogues, with the black top and twisty red vine-whatever those are on the legs. Of course, she would be able to fly. There's also the idea of combining characters, like in D2xp it was the sorce and the necro to create the Druid. You could pick any combo, and choose what skills they use, what items they get, all that good stuff. (Hmm. Maybe that should be some kind of editor?)
~Mercs~
You should be able to choose ANY character as your mercenary, and they should be able to wear everything your main char does, (boots, gloves, jewelry, etc.), so it'd be like having a glorified NPC, (non-playable character for those who don't know).
~Acts/Quests~
You should totally get to go to every characters "stage", like the Amazon Islands, the Necromancer Crypts, and the Sorceress Temples. Then fight one of the Seven. Diablo, Baal, Mephisto, Belial, Andarial, Durial, and Azmodan, in each stage. Or even Tal Rasha? You should also be able to use quest items for youself if you redo the quest after the first time. Like in D2, you get the Horodric Staff to unlock Durial's cavern, and you could get it again to use on your sorce OUT OF the act.
~Stages~
The environment should be totally interactive. If anyone's ever played Nox, (thats not non-expansion, it is a game), you can screw around with all kinds of stuff. Like breakaway walls and poison clouds. As for monsters... There should be all kinds of nasty bastards to kill. I noticed that the gargoyles from D1 were left out of D2. I kinda liked waiting for them to un-turn into stone and then watch them crumble into little pieces. However, I never want to see another Fallen/Carver/Dark One/ Devilkin IN MY LIFE. I am so sick of killing them, looking around for the shaman, and then having to kill them all over again cause they were ressurected!
~Items~
Diablo-wise, I like the item selection. The runewords are cool, but there honestly are ones that are completely useless. Crafted items could be better in my humble opinion, and you shouldn't have to wait till act 5 to get flawless gems. I would also like to see different styles of items. Breast plates, great hauberks, and cuiriass' should not look the same.
~Extras~
After you beat the game, there should be some kind of alternate-realm you can go to where you can be an NPC, like Tyreal or Izual, and either save or destroy the world. I personally think it'd be fun to be Blood Raven and go around corrupting the rogues....

So that's about it. Some of my ideas might be a little crazy, but in the tech-world, anything IS possible. I really like the idea of going to Heaven and Hell, only, who would there be to kill in heaven? Demons disguised as angels? :umm Let's leave that up to Blizzard.

Relating to the subject of characters, I changed my mind. This is the line-up I personally would most enjoy playing:
Amazon(as from D2)
Assassin(as from D2 Exp)
Barbarian(as from D2)
Cleric(a healer-priest type)
Druid(as from D2 Exp
Mage(glorified Sorcerer)
Monk(as from Hellfire)
Necromancer(as from D2)
Rogue(more melee based than ranged)

I picture the Mage as one of the mercs from Kurast, with the chain mail helmets and red armor, and use skills similar to the Sorceress, but I like the idea of reading books to learn skills, like from the original Diablo. The Rogue would look like the act 1 mercs, but she would use melee weapons & skills rather than ranged, that's what we have the Amazon for. I would love to see a character that can work polearms into their fighting style, because every other character looks stupid using them. Perhaps the Cleric then?

Oops, forgot Paladin. Add him to the line up!

devilstar187

Reaction score
ok ive seen some great ideas here. but the majority of people posting on this forum, not just this topic but the entire forum, are suggesting nothing more than a diablo 2 remake. my idea is to start from scratch. the characters and gameplay of diablo 1 and 2 were ground breaking but they have out stayed their welcome. with the advancement of technology, they should go with a more reallistic looking game. it should dig deeper into diablo lore than anything before it. bringing out bigger and badder enemies. all new characters, because lets face it the heroes of diablo 2 have no place in the next installment. you should be able to choose between sides through your actions in the game: either good, evil, or freeball it. a really nice addition to the game would be the ability to choose what you want to do and when to do it. you should have to complete tough missions assigned by npc's as well as use your own diplomatic skills to get your hands on rare items and equipment. make gold more of a hot commodity by making it so you can buy and trade for items to customize equipment to your specific needs. sounds a lot like using runes and such from d2 but this is different. you would have to visit a local blacksmith and pay uber amounts of gold and use rare items to upgrade and customize the equipment. furthermore there should be no limit to what you can create. i like the trading system of diablo 2 and i think it should be incorporated into the next installment, but should be given a major facelift. make it more like a tribal meeting or something. with a really cool display of the characters in a mass trading session around a campfire. also the ability to run up and steal from the people trading would be great. although if you were unsuccessful and were caught it would probably be bad for you. also in doom 3 there is a voice chat option for online play. that would be a great addition to diablo 3. in short make this the best ****ing game ever made.

groupie love mo****as

Magius

Member!
Reaction score
All I feel to point out at this point is the fact that in Diablo, in the history books that you can hear/read in the main game menu, it explains that tehre are secen ruling bodies of hell. The three prime evils (obviously), as well as 4 lesser evils, Andariel, Miden of Anguish, Duriel, the Prince of Pain, Azmodan the Lord of Sin, and Belial, the Lord of Lies. We have not yet seen any appearance of Azmodan or Belial... I am thinking something along the lines of, Azmodan and Belial notice that everyone else is dead and make a last-ditch attempt to take over the world. You imagine from there.

Sh1n0m3ga

Reaction score
:halo

i want to say my ideas about blizzard's d3, somesort od scenario...18th century...our world map...and diablo searching for his woman and bring to life the ultimate evil spirit...his son!!!

i think the hero you chose must die, as he arrives to the gates of hell...and then you will start a new with the same exp. chosing from the start the many skills you must have at that time...then at last from a point and after "The Ultimate War" starting and for the last time you chose one of your character...

the current mission is to locate n destroy the army of hell with your first character until the time he get captured as a prisoner or getting several wounds. rescue or to find the magic regenaration spell of Arcana :p...or to find the hidden potion of Godhealth :p

Magius

Member!
Reaction score
ooh ooh, I so got it! You start out with just the standard beginning-of-the-game pointless quests, then you have to choose who you want to fight for: Azmodan Or Belial, and you have to help whichever one you choose to gain power over the other. Your player could be like, a fallen version of any of the D2 classes, like, you died and you are in Hell, but for whatever reason you kepy your body. Have totally different quests depending on who you choose to serve, different skills depending on who you serve... andybody ever play Might and Magic 7? Same concept.

MyNameWas

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
First off, I doubt blizzard is going to start basing the Diablo 2 universe off Lovecrafts work. That would be copyright infringement unless they got the rights, and I doubt they'd do that anyway. Because its the Diablo 2 universe, not the LoveCraft universe.

Second off, I would like to point out that the Diablo universes prime evils are not neccesarily out of the picture. They are devils. They simply went back to where they came from. They didn't "die" because they were never "alive" and hence cannot be "ressurected". They could re-enter the daiblo universe, if there was a way. That was the point of destroying the worldstone. Take on corpreal from, or to be more explanatory, spirits gathering up elements around them to from bodies. Or, in the case of the soulstones, possessing humans

For Magius:
Diablo 2 is about killing devils. NOT SERVING THEM!!!
Serving devils results in the loss of the soul.
And besides, if were talking about the D2 universe here, which your not, they don't work with humans. They corrupt or kill them.
And I will use the term devil, and not demon, because the word demon derives from the Greek word DAIMON, as most educated people know, which means any spirit, be it good or evil.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
IThank you for the praise guys, my ego thanks you as well. Anyways...

I just thought of something ..... why is Cain in a cage at tristrum and not killed like everyone else?

I could be wrong, but wasn't their a "lesser evil" that could shape shift? If so maybe Cain was/is actually one of these lesser evils. If so that would open up a whole bunch of ideas right their.

Anyways I thought of some things that I would like to add to my previous post here, if I did not mention them already.

Just to settle some online issues:
Have a quest to fight in a arena of some sort. Fight against a common build from D2 like a Hammerdin, Bone Necro, ect. After doing so it would open up an option to battle PvP in this same arena. Which IMO would leave out the PK option in regular questing games. Also you could, fight for wagers, Gold, items, ect. These would be given to a NPC to keep till the duel is over, the victor would be able to click on the NPC to get their reward.

Their could be options of Free for All, 1 on 1, team, and handicapped 1 on 2,3,ect. that way their is no one that can say someone interferred with the duel.

If you like you could also test your skills and see how good your character really is by having a monthy tornament where you face a few NPC in a duel, or another actual player. Maybe even as time goes by in facing the NPC duels you have some sort of - effect, like cant use rejuvs, certain curses don't work whatever to make it harder as you progress in your slaughter. Prizes could be unique untradable items to other characters, that can be only obtained in dueling games. The items could be based on the number of kills you got.

Gold since it has no real purpose, could be used at the completion of the game to a one time +1 to a skill for the price of $1,000,000.00 gold or whatever else.

Actual designated trading areas. I know it isn't technically something Bliz likes, but, non the less, trading is excepted. Have a room that will have a NPC that can hold X amount of items (something along the lines as invintory) for a price. (in gold) This room will will be a privite room made by the player and the NPC will also be pass protected. This would save bliz a few headaches from getting e-mails on lost xfered items.

As a "Easter Egg" when you beat the game, maybe a full history of the Diablo trilogy could be told as a story.

Magius

Member!
Reaction score
Why put D2 in a box? Who said you can't serve them? It would make for an interesting gameplay, for one. For that matter, why not then use variations of lesser devils for your playale characters? Do you work for Blizzard, MyNameWas? Because if you don't, I don't see where you get the authority to say what is and isn't in or out of the Diablo 2 Universe. I was very much talking about the diablo 2 universe, I think I ought to know. Put the ego down. Yes, put it down.

Devineus

Reaction score
Diablo 3 MMORPG "The Fight for your soul has just begun"

*DISCLAMER* I have been awake for about 48 hours:fwink .... so I will probably re write this sometime later! and use a spellcheck.:shocked

Diablo 3 "storyline"

First of all, I just want to say a few things.

*Worldstone* (Small stones were cool, why did you have to ruin it and make an UBER STONE:bugeyes ?)
*Marrias* (Poor character development, Can half of the people who play diablo tell you who the hell is he?)
*mercs* (It was better without them!):hxc

Ok... now that is off my chest, I would like to say this. Diablo was a really great game for many reasons. But the main ONE reason, was because it was a DUNGEN crawler. Fast action dungen crawler! These types of games have always been highly liked. Eg. Doom,Wizzardry,Final Fantacy, ect.... Yes doom was a dungen crawl game! and if u dont know why, you should not call yourself a gamer.:doh

ok, now... in order to make diablo into a full MMORPG you need to be able to have peace throught the land in a sense. (towns witch are still safe) Now in diablo you had the towns in each act. the use of portals was a cheap mythod of keeping the game simple and cost effective *NOTTY BLIZZARD!! NOTTY!*

ok lets skip to the storyline.

(SKIP THIS if you already know the story of diablo) \/
Blizzard began the story of diablo like this, Hero comes home after some unkown war/fight to find family and friends dead and ravaged. hero goes to nearby town to find out his burning questions "WHAT THE HELL??" and hell is what he finds. so thus griswald and the rest of the gang of tristram look upon the hero as an oppertunity to make someone esle do all the heavy lifting. thus our hero tredges down into the depths of the chirch to seek revenge for his "shitty life" sooner or later after walking through catacombs and dungens caves and tombs he gets to the centre of the earth, where hell is conviently located with a gateway back to tristram.(again... notty notty little blizzard!!) our hero jumps down the big crack conviently labeled "HELL" to fight the evil overgrown igwana. once you have dawned your GPOW and Grandfather you decend to kill the biggest bad guy in the game. "NOOOOoooo!!" diablo crys as he turns back into lyorics son and the oversized stone pops from his forhead clinking to the floor. As our hero stars transfixed upon the stone he gets an astonishing revolation. "IM GONA STICK IT IN MY HEAD! dam this is gona be even better then my Elvis tatoo!" he wacks it into this head and stumbles off the wage war upon the rest of middle earth.... ummm wait a miniute... i mean he goes far east to raise the lesser prime evils cuz the thingy in his head makes him all crazy "all fighting and no play make hero a dull boy"... well you know the rest, im just recapin the first one cuz alot of ppl probably have forgotten why it all started. and if u dont know... READ THE FIRST and 2nd game MANUELS... there is HOURS of Pointless DRIBBLE and FACTS in both there books to keep all you NITPICKING GEEKS HAPPY FOR HOURS!

OK. MMORPG diablo 3 STORYLINE.

After tyrial says "cool good job" and you start your lonely wonder to your next big battle. Cain hobbles up along side of you, "It is not OVER!! you may have destroyed there corperal forms but they have retreated! We must end this where it began!" *Big long backstory involving cain saying how when diablo died his spirit left (you can see it when ya kill em in D2) his spirit took possession of jamilla the arcain prestess in the kingdom of heaven, she feel pray to his temptations of power, her lust for knowlage of the art of magic led to her ruin. he led jamella to the easter planes to the rouges camp, there he traveled to the Cain Stones. useing his ancient knowlage and the use of jamillas magics he summed a time Portal, He used jamilas soul in service of this deed and her body and soul were destroyed (sub plot useing the armoror in Heaven) only diablo's spirit continued through the portal. This portal Leaded back to TRISTRAM!!! This shows how diablo ended up there in the first place... (evil diablo makeing time paradoxes, At least my use of portals arnt willy nilly NOTTY BLIZZARD!!! NOTTY!!!!) ya well after all this happens Cain come to find you. because we all know hes a unsufferable KNOW IT ALL:)shoot yes... we all wish) . and tells your hero we need help! well you jump back in time after diablo ( you live because cain does better magic then diablo, hes good dont get me wrong... but cain is better)and presto (oh cain forgot to tell you, when you go though the portal there was a cost, Your mind and body suffered great damage! you get your ass kicked back to level 1!!! of course you still remember your mission, you could get flashbacks or something to add a dramatic effect to the game).. your back in tristram... Whitch is where you start In the NEW DIABLO 3 MMORPG, and of course tristram is not under seidge yet, and everyone in the town thinks your a nut, untill alter, so your first MAIN quest is to track down CAIN and tell the "Younger old fart" all about this wonderous story of chaseing diablo and haveing to distroy the ONE ring on the hell forge... umm ...... Ya ya.. i think thats right... anyways, he says "oh my!!" and so on and so forth (I have like 100's of side plots and quest ideas) and the rest of blizzard can fill in the details. Or they can hire me and I would actually put effort into this. you got to admit I do have some reather good ideas,

ps. I can write Seriously... I have just been up for like 46 hours strait:hbut ... and need sleep.

Well take care guys... and make shure to comment on this crazy stroyline.

Magius

Member!
Reaction score
I liked that^. The only thing is... in the origional Diablo, there are history books in0game that tell you of the Drak Exile, Sin Wars, atuff like that, and they incule details about how Daiablo got to Tristram... They put his soulstone, which contained him (obviously) after they caught him, and put it in the bottom of the dungeon for safe keeping. Diablo waiting until someone as easily manipulated as Lazarus came along and made Laz **** King Leoric royally. Once Diablo used Leorics son as a body, his power twisted the catacombs into what they are when you get to them, and transformed the King's son's body into a copy of Diablo's own body. Other than that, I really liked that idea! ^

wintersward

Reaction score
New Ideas for Diablo 3

Ok, I've got some ideas for this game. First off in D2, the World Stone was destroyed, so the game should fallow that story idea. Heres some ideas:

By destroying the World Stone a rift is created in its place between all worlds, heaven, earth, hell, and some place between hell and heaven. This rift is slowly shifting the realms into one world, and the battle vs good and evil begins.

The game can be an online World game play, like World of Warcraft. There could be 4 races; Mortals, Angels, Demons, and Souls, each race from each realm. The runewords were great, so they should exist, but there should be alot more runes, and maybe only certain runes can be made with a combination of runes like, rune word runes ;-P. Unlike World of Warcraft the game should still fallow main story quests, to win the game against the fight vs Diablo. I think this will better grab the attention of the players, knowing they are competing for the same quest against others in the game.

Heres another idea:
Heros can go on a search around the world searching for the broken shards of the soul stones. Once they complete a shard, they have to stick the shard in there head to battle one of the three prime evils inside there mind, lolz. If they fail, that hero can become a walking diablo for other players to kill!

Other ideas:
There can be characters that can build defences, city walls and stuff for defence, kind of like contstruction workers. Thies workers can build huge cities in urban areas, anywhere they choose.

Other ideas:
Cities and towns can be permanatly captured, except a main town, that cannot, so heros can still spawn. Unlike World of Warcraft cities could only be captured for a period of time. These heros should be able to capture a city and the longer they are there, the city will slowly shift into there realm, hell, heaven, etc, whatever there realm is.

Also:
I don't know about you guys but I like to have a unique character. Spells and Skills, should be found as tomes like unique items, like diablo 1. There should be thousands of spell and skill books out in the world, and every patch blizzard should make new ones. They should bring back some spells like stone curse, elemental, blood star, etc. And they should come up with some crazy ideas. I don't know if any of you have played any d&d but they have alot of spell ideas blizzard can leach from. This will make characters more unique in my opinion.

Ok, these are some of my ideas, reply if you like them and ill come up with more ^^.
:bouncy

Shadowstorm

Reaction score
Storyline

About wat I think te storyline for Diablo 3 shoude be....

The destrution of the worldstone has cousde the world to shatter violently en meny city's and people fell in the prosses but the world survivde and peope started to rebuild the broken world in thinking that at last the tree prime evil's Mevisto, Baal and Diablo were gone forever. It will take much efford but in time they grow and they prosperd.

Mefisto, Diablo and Baal's soul stones were destroid in Diablo 2 Lord of Destrution. But onknowing to the world when ther souls were bound to the dark abyss but Diablo usde the last dark enegies from him and his brothers to save himself but he is to week at the begining and needs time to gater power and take revenge on the world. But becouse he has consumed the dark energies form his brothers and some of there power, in so he is becoming the ultimate Prime evil who is stronge then Mevisto and Baal. Slowly but surly Diablo is sending lesser evil's at the world and he is trying to manifest himself in to the mortal realm but becouse the soul stones were the only thing that coud help them enter the mortal realm were no more and the sourse of the soul stones the World stone was destroid. He needs to find a other way to enter the world.....

Furder somone else shoud try continu the story.

but i think this shoud be a nice begining.

Patrick_A

Boss D.J.
Reaction score
My suggestion would be making players be able to select their alignment (nuetral, evil, good, ect.) and that would somehow change the storyline. Other ideas I have would be alot of side quests that you can do for he towns people, editing character's faces, hair, body type, stuff like that. Decard Cane should be dead, because hes old, lol. New sets, I think a Tyrael set would be cool.