What are uses for multas?

uber_nerd

Reaction score
hey guys

i've been playing zerg alot (on fastest) and normal.
my fav strats are
1. mass hydras with a few defilers....i know....n00bish, but works against everything except for strong terran d, reavers and guards...
2. ultras, lots and hydras....pretty good
3. guards, debs and lings.... really good
4. mass lings! (fun)
5. sunken and ling rush....really cheap
6. lurker rush...especially against terran cus u cant get a comsat station cus of the space between geysers and command center... (or just go for the workers.....)

but i dont see exactly the use for multas....they're weak, and only work well when u got like 60 of them...

what do you guys use multas for? what are they good with?

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mutas are used for hit-and-run harass and they're normally used with lings/guards/devs/scourge.

Zerglite

Reaction score
i like to get about 12 of em and go raid their mining

mutas, with the 3 enemy splash, are good at killing miners

uber_nerd

Reaction score
right, but these are basically to piss ppl off,

are there any "killer" strats with multas?

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
no, unless it's zerg vs zerg. Zerg usually starts off with mutas then switch to something else.

PowerPPower

Member!
Reaction score
muta for rush
use >36 muta to crash others cc/nexus/hatch(usually success)

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
mutaling strat...

Mutas harass the miners and everything around the miners. Wait for units to come and try to kill your mutas. Then send 100 cracklings to the base. Retreat the mutas (before they get hit) Units try to kill the cracklings at entrance. Send the mutas again.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Snagg said:
mutaling strat...

Mutas harass the miners and everything around the miners. Wait for units to come and try to kill your mutas. Then send 100 cracklings to the base. Retreat the mutas (before they get hit) Units try to kill the cracklings at entrance. Send the mutas again.
yea, you could also try to get mutas to concentrate in one place, that way they can all attack one unit at the same time, which ends up (e.g. you ahve 12 mutas) with 12 x 9 = 106 dmg, which can pretty much kill normally 2 rines? I think it goes 9 - 3 - 1... well maybe not two, but still.

Odinian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
rmarcus.info
PowerPPower said:
Actually muta is not useful at fastest

How very descriptive of you...

Mutas are good for scouts.

But a few outside the enemies base.

Odinian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
rmarcus.info
HELL_DEVIL said:
mutas are good if u can get them fast and attack some one that is toss and still has zlots
If you can get mutas before a protoss player gets dragoons, you are a super being for you enemy is a newb.

jhuni

Reaction score
mainly for early harass and counter rush under some circumstances...

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
If it's early in the game, Mutalisks work well with Zerglings because it's unlikely the opponent will be well prepared to defend from both ground and air. Terran will always have an advantage because of marines and Stim packs, but you can get a reasonable advantage if you send Zerglings on one side and Mutalisks on the other. Later into the game, Mutalisks become less useful unless you're playing a Zerg player who likes to use Mutalisks.

the jawsh

Reaction score
in my opinion, mutalisks look like flying shrimp and are about as useful. they make good decoys and can become guardians, which is good. other than that, i dont know. im not much of a zerg player.

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
mutas are great offensive units. They can hit and run very effectively and harass, making the other player build tons of defensive buildings. Then you send in your cracklings so that the enemy is fighting a two front battle.

Mutas aren't very good defensive units. When someone's attacking your base. hit and run is not nearly as effective because your enemy won't chase your mutas.

That's why when using muta ling you gotta stay offensive.

DeathClaw

Member!
Reaction score
Mutalisks....hm...I haven't used those in a while. Well, generally, they're good for not too much (considering that they have really short range, their CDR isn't too low, and are slow to retreat from a battle), but their attack strength is considerable...slightly above average when you include their ability to hit three targets (even if the damage done to the next few targets is cut in half). Also, they work amazing with Devourers when against air units. As you mentioned, you play in Fastest, consequently you'll see a lot of Carrier "rushes." I'm not sure, but I believe that they are the only air units that can penetrate the Dark Swarm (because of their range being three, and Dark Swarm only negates attacks with a range of four and up). They also work somewhat efficiently against Zealots (Zealots alone....no Dragoons or anything, but you'll only find noobs who'd fall for that). Overall, Mutalisk rushes don't work, so don't try that too often. So, yeah, only in desperate (losing) air battles.

L

Laharl

On fastest you would get your 36 mutas, hit their workers and quickly wipe out both their starting main building (Nexus, cc or hatchery) and quite a few workers. They would need to rebuild their main building further away, giving them much slower resources.

Even if you don't kill it you hurt their economy.

not_a_poster

Member!
Reaction score
uber_nerd said:
hey guys

i've been playing zerg alot (on fastest) and normal.
my fav strats are
1. mass hydras with a few defilers....i know....n00bish, but works against everything except for strong terran d, reavers and guards...
2. ultras, lots and hydras....pretty good
3. guards, debs and lings.... really good
4. mass lings! (fun)
5. sunken and ling rush....really cheap
6. lurker rush...especially against terran cus u cant get a comsat station cus of the space between geysers and command center... (or just go for the workers.....)

but i dont see exactly the use for multas....they're weak, and only work well when u got like 60 of them...

what do you guys use multas for? what are they good with?
why the hell are u giving him nonmoney map strategys...

btw gaurds are way better then mutas on fastest, get 24 guards, and maybe 5-6 devs to keep their air destracted, and then focus fire on their Nexus/hive/CC and all their production buildings, or pylons if you dont have much time. Losing ur HQ sucks balls on fastest lol

AZN_FLEA

Reaction score
5-6?? what are you crazy?? devourers beceome much better when they have mutalisks to back them. they have a crazy cooldown and they dont inflict damage fast enough.

mutalisks are the best harassers in the game. scouts are too expensive to lost and wraiths have weak ground attack. mutalisks can effectively cut off economy because they can stop you getting an expansion. they destroy workers very fast and they can be effective for shields. yes thats right shields. use mutas for shield while you upgrade the zerglings and shit for your real offense. the mutas cover the land units while the land units wipe the enemy out.

mutas are one of my favourite units. guardians are great especially against terran because they can counter marine medic and their defense. guardians are fragile so dont mess around.