Video games responsible for violence?

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
www.BattleForums.com
I was looking through some old stuff on News.com and I came accross this: http://news.com.com/2100-1023-256374.html - It's kinda old, but still, it really ticks me off.

Now, I think this is total bullshit. One of the columbine families sued AOL, Nintendo, Sony and other gaming companies for over $5 BILLION dollars claiming that video games made by them were responsible for what happened to their kids. How full of shit is this? I mean, what happened at columbine was horrible, but I hate it how society has to make up excuses for every single act of violence. Why can't we just accept the fact that two kids went nuts and killed a bunch of students. Not cause of video games... not cause their parents didn't give them enough attention, but rather, because they were messed up. Society needs to put the blame on someone though, it's always like that. Unfortunately this time, a bunch of innoncent video game companies take the blame for two stupid kids.

bah. Should our new slogan be "f*ck society" ? I think so.

SkuZZy
 

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2002
Messages
12,653
Reaction score
12
Location
Canada
Dude, maybe thats why nintendo dont make no maure games no more, it realy sucks. cant even get a fighting game eit blood on that sstem, but little magic sparkles with each punc, i.e. bloody roar. its kinda sad though, abut the kids
.
 

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by pan_the_man
Dude, maybe thats why nintendo dont make no maure games no more, it realy sucks. cant even get a fighting game eit blood on that sstem, but little magic sparkles with each punc, i.e. bloody roar. its kinda sad though, abut the kids
.
I don't think so. Resident Evil was just released on Game Cube... if that game ain't bloody then I dunno what is. That's like, the most controversial game ever made, cept for GTA. Anyways, Nintendo has always been making childrens games. XBOX and PS2 have all the good games... like Halo *drool*. I just wanna know how society can blame video games for stuff like this? I mean, I can understand how a 7 year old might be affected by mortal kombat... but the kids who did this columbine thing were FAR FROM 7 YEARS OLD! I dont think video games had anything to do with them doing what they did.
 

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2002
Messages
12,653
Reaction score
12
Location
Canada
yep resident evil is the greatest game on gc ou today, i cant balieve i bpught that system. well if video games dont do it the show Dragon ball z does. My old friend watch ed it all the time, he would go around pretending he was a super saiyen and punching, kicking and over all attcking everyone. and as the DBZ hype was over he became timid again. tell me there aint a connection, als he would attack ppl with siticks, pretending they were swords, like in escaflowne. i think i spelt tat right. well video gamers should be aware of this lol. i have nothing more to say
 

firebat451

Member!
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Illinois
Website
Visit site
The fact of the matter is if a kid is going to bring a gun to school and shoot people they are going to do it no matter what games they play. People are just too dumb to see that it isn't always someone elses fault.
 

Flaming_cows

Member!
Joined
Aug 2, 2002
Messages
364
Reaction score
0
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by firebat451
The fact of the matter is if a kid is going to bring a gun to school and shoot people they are going to do it no matter what games they play. People are just too dumb to see that it isn't always someone elses fault.
i couldnt have said it better myself
 

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by firebat451
The fact of the matter is if a kid is going to bring a gun to school and shoot people they are going to do it no matter what games they play. People are just too dumb to see that it isn't always someone elses fault.
Well, I don't know about this... I think that video games do have some influence on people. I get what you're trying to say... even though I think that video games aren't responsible, they still do have some influence. I think that parents should be blamed BEFORE video games, cause if you're gonna blame video games, then how can you not blame the parents for letting their kids play those video games? It works both ways.
 

shrimpshark

Member!
Joined
Sep 3, 2002
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
0
its not video games its bad parinting if parents would ever watch there kids the kids wouldnt be so mad bout every thing
parents allows blame everyone but dem self
 

Exodus

Member!
Joined
Sep 2, 2002
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
Visit site
............makes sense especially dbz my little bor is really really ****in violent now because of that......... oh well.
the thing about escaflone is true also i want a sword SO badly now mabye a set of kitanas hehehe that would be sweet.
i think that parents are 2 blame u know they should read the lables or ratings on video games thats what there there for but less than 30% actually look i dunno.....
as for the kinds at columbine they were just real ****ed up thats all the media and society just want 2 blame it on somtin else and that really makes me mad.... oh well.
 

Baraka

Member!
Joined
Sep 3, 2002
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
FL
Website
www.hotornot.com
The other day I was watching Oprah of all things. LOL The "topic" was something along the lines of how the media is responsible for little kids having sex, being violent, and doing stupid shit. This one boy who watches Jackass (which comes on at 2100 hours the last time I checked) set himself on fire (human torch) after seeing Johny Knoxville do it. He poured rubbing alcohol on his hand then lit it on fire. It started buring the shit out of him so he patted his chest to try to put it out. His shirt caught on fire and he started running around the yard then finally jumped in his pool. WHAT A ****ING DUMBASS!!! His mother blamed the show Jackass for his injuries. Why did his mother alow him to watch this show? Hasn't she heard of blocking channel and or programs? What a dumb bitch. He video taped the whole damn thing. What kind of dumb bitch lets her son run around performing dangerous stunts while video taping them? What a whore. There was another woman who said she caught her 6 year old son trying to have sex with a 4 year old girl. She claims that her son learned from watching a sexy music video. Why did this dumb bitch let her son watch that shit? People are willing to put the blame on the media groups that make this stuff when the fact is the parents are just irresponsible. These ****ing kids aren't being raised right so there parents want to try to make money off of their ****ed up children. Geez what has the mother ****ing world coming to? I watched all kinds of shit like that when I was little. Naked women, ****ing, lots of violence, swearing, and so on. I turned out alright. Because I was raised right. I also did stupid shit like that boy did, but I never hurt myself or someone else because I was too smart to. Kids and their parents are ****ing stupid these days. When you people have your own kids, please take these things into consideration when u are raising them. ;)
 

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Joined
Jul 29, 2002
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Baraka
The other day I was watching Oprah of all things. LOL The "topic" was something along the lines of how the media is responsible for little kids having sex, being violent, and doing stupid shit. This one boy who watches Jackass (which comes on at 2100 hours the last time I checked) set himself on fire (human torch) after seeing Johny Knoxville do it. He poured rubbing alcohol on his hand then lit it on fire. It started buring the shit out of him so he patted his chest to try to put it out. His shirt caught on fire and he started running around the yard then finally jumped in his pool. WHAT A ****ING DUMBASS!!! His mother blamed the show Jackass for his injuries. Why did his mother alow him to watch this show? Hasn't she heard of blocking channel and or programs? What a dumb bitch. He video taped the whole damn thing. What kind of dumb bitch lets her son run around performing dangerous stunts while video taping them? What a whore. There was another woman who said she caught her 6 year old son trying to have sex with a 4 year old girl. She claims that her son learned from watching a sexy music video. Why did this dumb bitch let her son watch that shit? People are willing to put the blame on the media groups that make this stuff when the fact is the parents are just irresponsible. These ****ing kids aren't being raised right so there parents want to try to make money off of their ****ed up children. Geez what has the mother ****ing world coming to? I watched all kinds of shit like that when I was little. Naked women, ****ing, lots of violence, swearing, and so on. I turned out alright. Because I was raised right. I also did stupid shit like that boy did, but I never hurt myself or someone else because I was too smart to. Kids and their parents are ****ing stupid these days. When you people have your own kids, please take these things into consideration when u are raising them. ;)
Eh, I don't know if I agree with everything you said, but, parents will say anything they can to get out of taking responsibility for their children's actions... and maybe they do it with good reason, I mean, I broke a couple of windows as a kid and my parents had to pay the bill on them... so I guess parents just get tired of all the little stuff. It's easy for parents to blame other people, sure, but remember, it's just as easy for us to blame them... they are only human. If a good parent involves keeping your kid under watch 24/7 and never letting him do anything fun or exciting, then I want to be a bad parent when I get older... that's for sure.
 

Baraka

Member!
Joined
Sep 3, 2002
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
FL
Website
www.hotornot.com
It seems that you have misunderstood me skuzzy. What I mean is if a parent thinks that a child is learning bad behavior or doing stupid things that they see on TV, then why should not let them watch that program?

I also mean that how could that woman not know that her son was taping himself doing dangerous shit? Most of the stuff that he did I also attempted. Jumping off of the roof, running into trees with a bike and so on. But why light yourself on fire? Someone should have been there so stop him from walking outside (with a bottle of alcohol in his hand(and a camcorder)) and setting himself on fire.

I do not think that parents should watch their kids 24/7 I just think that parents should be more vigilent and more aware of what they are doing. If a parent thinks that their child is not mature enough to handle programs with these situations then the parent should block the channels and/or programs.
 

shrimpshark

Member!
Joined
Sep 3, 2002
Messages
1,175
Reaction score
0
there should alwes be someone watching a child until thay can be trusted not to light them selves on fire and tape it or to try and have sex at 6 (caused by no parental talk about subject of sex)
 

Icedragon

BattleForums Addict
Joined
Aug 2, 2002
Messages
836
Reaction score
0
Location
The Swiming Pools
all these **** polotions didn't grow up with this stuff so they are opposed to it but we grow up with it and we liked it for stress relif and a good way to clam yourself down but it doesnt cause violence stupid ppl cause violence by think games are real so they go out and do it
 

Baraka

Member!
Joined
Sep 3, 2002
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Location
FL
Website
www.hotornot.com
It's like Chirs Tucker once said: "Guns don't kill people. Stupid mother-****ers with guns kill people."
 

Swooper

Respected Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2002
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
Website
www.battleforums.com
Video games themselfs are not bad at all. They COULD be responicble for kids doing less homework, but Its their parents falt that they let them use it, now isn't it. And for some of us, video games are the only education we have, LOL.
 

firebat451

Member!
Joined
Aug 4, 2002
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
Location
Illinois
Website
Visit site
Yes they really do prevent people from doing their homework. Even as I type there is work I should be doing. As for killing people I think the only way they do that is people who stay up for days at a time with no sleep playing a game. That is how games kill people.
 
Top