Counter The Strategy Above You

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Fairly simple, you name a StarCraft strategy (as in massing something, using certain units for a specific purpose or ability, some type of rush, a drop, whatever, any kind of strategy you can think of) and someone else names a strategy which counters or prevents it. The next person after them names a strategy which counters or prevents that one. It just keeps going down the line, each person describing a new strategy which nullifies the one before it.

Name the race you're using for the strategy, and what exactly your strategy is, plus how it counters/prevents the strategy above you. No one can use the exact same strategy someone else has (you can vary the units used to make it different though), so eventually you'll have to start getting creative. Now, as for my strategy, to start things off..

Zerg: I mass hydras, fill all of my overlords, and use them to do a huge-scale hydra drop at your mineral line.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Mass Hydras? Well, since this thread is based on theorycraft, here goes nothing:

With Protoss. I would have Photon Cannons obviously, and to counter your drog effectively and safetly, I would cast a Mealstorm here and there so that your overlords are stuck in cross-fire. If you try to unload them, I would have a Psi Storm ready to fry them. Since I've seen you do this little strategy, Azrael, I know how to best counter it now, I'll admit you got me good with it the first time, but since we both suck, it was a fair game. :)

Creative? I could just Mind-control your overlords. Your units are now mine.

Terran: Siege Tanks with Goliath/Ghost support, Science Vessel. Siege Mode Tanks would siege the enemy while the other troops protect them. This one's easy to beat, so whack at it.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
You're only supposed to use one strategy, and one race of your choice per post o_O I'll take a combination of maelstrom and psistorm as your strategy :D (And I didn't do the hydra drop efficiently in our game.. I choked because you had so many units waiting for me and I unloaded prematurely.. I should have waited for the mineral line, it would have turned out better for me :p). Anyways..

Zerg: I 5-pool, and make 6 lings as fast as possible. I then rush you with them, meaning you don't have DAs or HTs yet :)

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I put my Zealot on the ramp and pull off 3-4 probes. The Zealot must be squarely in the middle so that the lings cannot kill a probe and take my ramp. The probes must be positioned so that 2-3 fire at the zerglings.

Edit: Oh yeah. I fill a shuttle, during mid game of course, with 2 DT and two HT. I fly around the map dropping and storming. I do this repeatedly.

Double edit: MU is PVP.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
You know, you can get the same gil by posting less in each post.

How would you counter dark swarmed lurkers, being a terran?

--Edit--

That's why I hate edits :)

I would get some templars of my own and keeping an eye out for that dropship of yours.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
^
SV Irridiate.

How would you counter when you're T and P gas rushes you, as well as manner pylon.
(Let's say LT, T12, P3)

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
TrongaMonga said:
You know, you can get the same gil by posting less in each post.

How would you counter dark swarmed lurkers, being a terran?

--Edit--

That's why I hate edits :)

I would get some templars of my own and keeping an eye out for that dropship of yours.
Sorry :(, I'll try to think more before I post.

The only counter is careful retreating and a strong economy. If you only have your natural you're gone.

How would you counter Zeal rush to fast cannon expansion PVP?

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
@ SV Irradiate
Zerg: Scourges :)

@Zeal rush + fast cannon expansion
Protoss: Start making zealots as fast as you can too. By the time they get to your base, you have more. Then tech to reavers, make a few, and go own them with a mix of goons and zealots protecting them.

Counter this..
Zerg: Lurkers and dark swarm to hit your base, mixed with guardians and hydras to destroy any defensive structures that might be in the way, and quite a few ultralisks under the dark swarm as well, to protect the other units. There are also a few groups of scourges and overlords as well, to stop any air attack or detectors from getting too close.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-Azrael666- said:
@ SV Irradiate
Zerg: Scourges :)

@Zeal rush + fast cannon expansion
Protoss: Start making zealots as fast as you can too. By the time they get to your base, you have more. Then tech to reavers, make a few, and go own them with a mix of goons and zealots protecting them.

Counter this..
Zerg: Lurkers and dark swarm to hit your base, mixed with guardians and hydras to destroy any defensive structures that might be in the way, and quite a few ultralisks under the dark swarm as well, to protect the other units. There are also a few groups of scourges and overlords as well, to stop any air attack or detectors from getting too close.
Now you're just constructing crazy attack forces not strategies!

Anyways, Zealots, Archon, HT (to hit the units which strayed out from the DS and the Guards), DT, and some Goons.

Oh yeah, PVP, you reaver rush stopping probes at 50. Working up to three gates.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
I had to use it before someone else did :)

Zerg: I will mass queens, and research spawn broodling and ensnare. I will spawn all your units (except the archons) and ensnare/spawn your DTs. I will then use plague to mess you archons up, and follow it with a guardian attack to finish them off.

PvT scenario: I cannon rush, building a pylon and 2 cannons in your base, just out of your sight range. As they complete, you see what I'm doing, but I start making more, closer to your base, with the ones already made protecting them. What do you do?

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Depeding on my current resources and where I am in teching, I'd either go M&M, stimmed, or tanks.

TVZ:I come in with a dark swarm on my 36 hydras, 48 lings and 24 guards w/ 6 ultras and 6 defiilers. I have this defilers with plague and dark swarm ready to be casted. What do you do?

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
lol.

I hold you all at bay with my tanks at my choke so not all your hydras can attack while I secretly nuke your units to oblivion.

Corsairs harasssing your overlords and a protoss army containing you at your choke, what do you do.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Snagg said:
lol.

I hold you all at bay with my tanks at my choke so not all your hydras can attack while I secretly nuke your units to oblivion.

Corsairs harasssing your overlords and a protoss army containing you at your choke, what do you do.
I would spread out my Overlords and lead the corsairs away from my base while making new spore colonies near my defense line. There, I'll put an Overlord so that it'll be safe from Corsairs.Once your corsairs are dispersed, I'll use a couple Zerglings to lure your army from my choke into my defense of sunkens and Lurkers, where it gets horribly slaughtered.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
^Didn't post a strat :(.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Here's one that was pulled on me, late game.

It's a map consisting of many large islands. Your opponent has literally ringed his island with missile turrets, no spaces, four rows deep. Inside his base, he has a full fleet of about fifty wraiths ready to swarm out and destroy attacking forces.

You are Protoss...what do you do?

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
J'kar said:
Here's one that was pulled on me, late game.

It's a map consisting of many large islands. Your opponent has literally ringed his island with missile turrets, no spaces, four rows deep. Inside his base, he has a full fleet of about fifty wraiths ready to swarm out and destroy attacking forces.

You are Protoss...what do you do?
I'd say templars to hallucinate, carriers to kill the turrets, corsairs to kill the wraith and to d-web the turrets, and maybe some scouts tossed in for good measure.

Even that would make for a tough break with alot of micro though. Preventions is the best thing.

How about PVZ Hydra Lurk cliff drop.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
J'kar said:
I haven't played in a long time, I'm not familiar with the cliff drop...explain.
Well it's basically when Zerg drops eight or so hydras and some lurks on your cliff. If he does it quickly P will not have cannons set up. Then the only thing toss can do is storm and goon it. If he uses the hydra well to attack and then morphes them into lurkers P runs out of stormers and Z prevents mining.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
ArtOfProtoss said:
Well it's basically when Zerg drops eight or so hydras and some lurks on your cliff. If he does it quickly P will not have cannons set up. Then the only thing toss can do is storm and goon it. If he uses the hydra well to attack and then morphes them into lurkers P runs out of stormers and Z prevents mining.
You pretty much countered your own strategy right there, way to go. :p