Best Terran Ground unit

What Is The Best Terran Ground Unit?

  • SCV

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Marine

    Votes: 9 17.6%
  • FireBat

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Medic

    Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Ghost

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Vulture

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goliath

    Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Tank

    Votes: 13 25.5%

  • Total voters
    51

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
well i like to build like 4 ghosts have one cloaked and the rest stand there. they think the ones visible is the nuking one kill it then get a nasty surprise.
 
I was actually thinking about that when I read your post. Only, to the trained eye, the person could see that the others are doing jsut that - standing there. Then they will bring over a detector and BAM, a waste of 200 minerals/gas.
 
I should use that idea sometime. :)
 

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Well even if they do noticed that they stand still they will still need to get a detector. this might buy some time and the nuke might land, and obliterate cannons and pretty much any unit.
 
Well, you could always group the three uncloaked Ghosts away from the cloaked one....
 

Ryu

Member!
This is really surprising, Ghosts tie with Tanks for first place? Any terran player would tell you that Tanks win the game for them a lot more often then ghosts do. Siege tanks are the most feared terran unit in the game, I'd rather face an army of 24 ghosts, then an army of 12 tanks (but I know ghosts are just meant for specialized use). In fact, Siege tanks show up in just about ever terran game, ghosts on the other hand rarely make appearances in the game.

Lockdown is only useful in TvT games, where in late matches it tend to turn into a bc/tank battle.

Nukes usually only work on Protoss (works great with EMP, bye bye Nexus). Since most terran have 1-2 tanks near their expansion, they only have to do a quick sensor sweep to kill any ghosts trying to nuke, and nuking zerg is just silly.
 

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Originally posted by Ryu
This is really surprising, Ghosts tie with Tanks for first place? Any terran player would tell you that Tanks win the game for them a lot more often then ghosts do. Siege tanks are the most feared terran unit in the game, I'd rather face an army of 24 ghosts, then an army of 12 tanks (but I know ghosts are just meant for specialized use). In fact, Siege tanks show up in just about ever terran game, ghosts on the other hand rarely make appearances in the game.

Lockdown is only useful in TvT games, where in late matches it tend to turn into a bc/tank battle.

Nukes usually only work on Protoss (works great with EMP, bye bye Nexus). Since most terran have 1-2 tanks near their expansion, they only have to do a quick sensor sweep to kill any ghosts trying to nuke, and nuking zerg is just silly.
I agree with this and that's why I voted for tanks. I also must say, it's nice to see someone making posts like this with some solid facts to backup their point. One thing I don't get though, is, you said nuking zerg is silly. I'd think that nuking terran would be the silliest, considering they can repair their stuff. Zerg on the other hand are great to nuke, the only problem is getting 2 nukes into their base... but if you have two nuke CC's then you can do a multiple nuke 1/2 seconds apart and totally kill them off. I don't see how it's "silly"... just might not be the best way to use nukes.

SkuZZy
 

Ryu

Member!
The reason nuking zerg is silly is because zergs generally have mass resources. They need to greatly outmine and out produce their opponent most often, and getting those mass resources through multiple expansions are their specialty.

Nukes are mainly designed for taking out mining resources, since trying to nuke a mobile army is near impossible unless you're facing someone who's just not thinking.

Nuking 1 or 2 of zerg's mining areas is pointless because they will run their drones out, and even if the hatch is destroyed there's usually another hatchery a little further off and they can just resume mining till the destroyed hatch is re-made. Even if the drones get killed, their drone cluster usually isn't so high in one mining area that it affects their resource gathering, and they can usually rebuild all the drones they need within a few seconds, minimizing the time lost for mining.

It's not the lost of buildings that's as much of a factor, but rather the lost of workers that you're aiming for whenever you try to attack the resource flow. After all, reaver drops don't target the buildings, but the workers right? Same idea with nukes, but taking out the building, or damaging it considerably is just an added bonus if the nuke is successful.
 

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
I usualy send like 6 ghosts in with a couple tanks. With 4 nukes. i nuke on buildings, depending how many they build, if they dont build alot like is required to get mass zerg than i just nuke the drones. if u can get rid or a hydralisk den, or even better a defiler thingy, then they might re build it but that stops the construction of units long enough to attack and wipe em out. without their main structures like the hydralisk den or defiler thingy then they cant build. plus assuming they have alot of recources, i nuke the overlords to. if someplayer as like 200 overlords, they might not see the little red dot and not know where they are getting nuked, (assuming they are in a bunch) . Although this is tricky since they are detectors, also if you can get a direct hit, the zerg food supplys are gone in less time than it takes to get 12 valks fully upgraded, and less expensive. well im blabering on and on. i just think nukes are valuable. especialy against toss, if u use emp shockwave then nuke you can take a building in one hit, though its silly to emp cannons cause a nuke san take out cannons anyways.
 

Remiraz

Member!
Originally posted by Ryu
The reason nuking zerg is silly is because zergs generally have mass resources. They need to greatly outmine and out produce their opponent most often, and getting those mass resources through multiple expansions are their specialty.

Nukes are mainly designed for taking out mining resources, since trying to nuke a mobile army is near impossible unless you're facing someone who's just not thinking.

Nuking 1 or 2 of zerg's mining areas is pointless because they will run their drones out, and even if the hatch is destroyed there's usually another hatchery a little further off and they can just resume mining till the destroyed hatch is re-made. Even if the drones get killed, their drone cluster usually isn't so high in one mining area that it affects their resource gathering, and they can usually rebuild all the drones they need within a few seconds, minimizing the time lost for mining.

It's not the lost of buildings that's as much of a factor, but rather the lost of workers that you're aiming for whenever you try to attack the resource flow. After all, reaver drops don't target the buildings, but the workers right? Same idea with nukes, but taking out the building, or damaging it considerably is just an added bonus if the nuke is successful.

Nuke sucks, I have seen a Nuke in competitive gameplay since Brood War came out.

Think about this the Nuke takes a LOT of commitment and way too lategame to be used.
AND its advantages are already present in faster, cheaper units...

1) Range
If you can nuke from 10 matrix range away, why not fire with Siege Tank from 12 matrix away??

2) Cloaking
If he can't detect your cloaked ghost long enough to kill it or run away workers so you kill NOTHING...why dont you rush with wraiths and take out all the workers?

Heck, the damage isn't even enough to kill most buildings...

P.S.
The Siege Tank is widely regarded as THE overpowered Unit in Starcraft.
No game goes without Tanks. :D
 
B

Beatrix9.0

why goliaths are the best

i think all you people say that scv's are the best ground unit for the terrain. i think that you misunderstood what the orginal creater of this page was saying but any way. I personally like the goliaths because they can easly destroy most air units. Ground units are different but basically the same consept ground units of the terrain besides the tank are weak. Yes i took into consideration ghosts as the best ground units but, i also took in the fact that nukes take almost 10 minutes to friggin develop. So ghosts would probably be second or third taking into consideration siege tanks which by the way are awesome but, back to the point. Goliaths are a good ground unit becuase they attack air and fully upgraded they could do considerable amount of damage even to a group of 6 protoss carriers.Also a goliath can attack ground and hit for twice as much as a marine.In conclusion this is how the ranks go. 1st place goes to goliaths
2nd siege tanks, 3rd ghosts, 4th vultures,5th firebats, 6th marine, 7th science vessel, 8thscvs,9th wraiths
 

Aris

Member!
i'll tell you.. theirs nothing thats scares me more than hearing 24+ siege tanks locking into siege mode.

VVVVVVCCHHTT!!! (dont make fun :p)

oh yeah.. you know when you hear it your like.. ok.. whats going to be obliterated now.

tanks are very vaulnerable though when not in siege mode and when not guarded by an anti air unit.

i think the simpliest way to go would be a 4/1 split of marines/medics and then stick in a couple presets of tanks. have a few detectors to spot them pesky lurkers.

air units for terrain is laughable.. BC's suck. wraiths are cool, but against zerg and overlords everywhere teh cloaking ability means nothing. and almost every toss player ive ever seen makes detectors. their like a must against zerg lurkers. only terrain air unit worth anything is the detector.

firebats only good for a rush. and almost no one rush's with terrain.

for the amount of money they cost.. i would take a few marines over goliaths. they just cost too much and take to long to make.. id rather take the time to make another siege tank than a goliath.

i voted for medic by the way. ive always wondered if anyone has ever gone just medics.. :p they would never die unless you could kill them in one hit.. mabey reavers. i just think it be funny to do. :p

medic has changed the way ppl play terrain though. marines are sooo much more survivable now. only thing that can stop them are mass killers like lurkers/reevers/psi storm
 

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
My fav is SCV :D
I've actually observed a game where about 8 SCV's and a Dropship has taken out 24+ Tanks and a mix of Marines.
How?
When the tanks where setting outside my friends base he noticed them and pulled off one of my favorite stratd now. He took his Dropship and flew it into the center of the mass of Tanks and dropped. The tanks splashed themselves to hell and he lost about 5 on just that 1 drop. Then he repeated the process til the guy only had 2 Tanks and a Marine. Then he un-seiged and went back to his base. About 2 mins later he tried a Tank drop, but my friend panicked after 1st Tank rush and went Wraith crazy. And after he relized he had the advantage he sent in his Wraiths and owned him.
BTW: he only had 2 StarPorts and 8 Factories.
 

Remiraz

Member!
Originally posted by Aris
i'll tell you.. theirs nothing thats scares me more than hearing 24+ siege tanks locking into siege mode.

VVVVVVCCHHTT!!! (dont make fun :p)

oh yeah.. you know when you hear it your like.. ok.. whats going to be obliterated now.

tanks are very vaulnerable though when not in siege mode and when not guarded by an anti air unit.

i think the simpliest way to go would be a 4/1 split of marines/medics and then stick in a couple presets of tanks. have a few detectors to spot them pesky lurkers.

air units for terrain is laughable.. BC's suck. wraiths are cool, but against zerg and overlords everywhere teh cloaking ability means nothing. and almost every toss player ive ever seen makes detectors. their like a must against zerg lurkers. only terrain air unit worth anything is the detector.

firebats only good for a rush. and almost no one rush's with terrain.

for the amount of money they cost.. i would take a few marines over goliaths. they just cost too much and take to long to make.. id rather take the time to make another siege tank than a goliath.

i voted for medic by the way. ive always wondered if anyone has ever gone just medics.. :p they would never die unless you could kill them in one hit.. mabey reavers. i just think it be funny to do. :p

medic has changed the way ppl play terrain though. marines are sooo much more survivable now. only thing that can stop them are mass killers like lurkers/reevers/psi storm
Firebats are specialised units made to help Terran counter Zerglings and Zealots.

Yes, people rush with Terran.
Competitive players attack any time with any race.

Wraith is a great unit against Terran and Zerg.
1-2 Wraiths can stop a Zerg early game attacks because most players wouldn't have speed upgraded at that time.
1-2 Wraiths can spoil the usually-free overlord scouting tactics most good Zerg uses.
 

AKA-47

Member!
U cant win games without using every unit there is, there is allways a counter. A single zealot can kill a tank.
 

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Originally posted by AKA-47
U cant win games without using every unit there is
Wrong...

I could win the game using nothing but Guards or nothing but marines, or Hydra's, but it won't always work. It's a good idea to get a mix of units and not just 1, but a stupid idea to get everything when you probaly wont need it.

Example:
Toss v Zerg.
Toss uses a Zealot/Goon/DT combo.
Why get Scourge or Devs? Why not just get a couple of Defilers, Lings, and Lurker?

Originally posted by AKA-47
there is allways a counter.
As for this I agree. Theres always a countermeasure no matter wht the situation
 

Bigbob4000

New Member
I voted for tanks...

I think 1 of the best strategies is tanks and valkary attacking together. Think about it tanks only attack ground and valk only attack air, together their almost "invicible" because the units that attack ground and air are weak because they spread their damage between the two. But a unit devoted fully to ground has maximum damage to the ground, and air the same thing. I dunno i might be crazy but thats just me.
 

AKA-47

Member!
There is no way u can win a PvZ wihtout using both high templars, zealots, goons and probes. If the zerg knows what he is doing he will be able to stop any rushes and single units.
 
Top