Reaction score
I'd love to watch it. Can you upload that patcher somewheres please? :D

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
a@... said:
Can't explain with just words, it's a must-watch replay(with your own eyes).

Go here to download the replay(includes screenshots)
http://www.sclegacy.com/features/pimpestplays_2002.php

P.S.:
This replay only works for v1.09b, so you'll need to patch your SC to v1.09b if you wanna watch it. I got a program that can patch to 1.08~1.12b in a sec w/o dling anything. But I think it's too big to post it here, so I'll upload it somewhere if you want.

Exactly.I think this might of been the best of the crop.

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
that boxer replay was damn good. i think his vulture managment was more impressive than the tanks. 2 vultures with 4 mines took on the entire protoss base while waiting for the tank reinforcments. that was godly.

johnpark1223

Member!
Reaction score
i love sc replays... i was looking for like a million years for the world champ play... heard he was terran.... tell me if you have it.. plz hehe

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing that topped siege tanks was a reever drop in the middle of a zerg base. 3 transports w/6 reavers and its gg zerg base. ....does close to the same with terran.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Siege Tanks are pretty awesome. But they do have a lot of weaknesses, and most players open these weaknesses up without even knowing them. Back when I used to play PvT constantly, I observed that many Terran players on Battle.net bunched their Siege Tanks together, next to say a gird of bunkers, turrets, etc. A nasty thing to do is send in a distraction, say a few real zealots as well as some hallucinations, and drop a few psionic storms in the commotion. Chances are good the tanks will die in the storms you placed, if they are grouped up very tightly, then the tanks usually die. And then you can come in with Corsairs and web anything else. Then drop whatever in his base (DT's in this case for me, with archon support (2 or so of both) and a few dragoons for air defence. I'm sure this doesn't work anymore, but back when I played like a nazi it was damn good then.

But overall tanks are really nice to have. But if you place too much confidence in them, I think you might be disappointed because they have weaknesses like any other unit. What I also liked doing was dropping an ultralisk right into the defence grid. The Siege Tanks focus on it, killing a supply depot, a bunker and the marines inside, or severally damaging most things. during that, you can drop parasites, or broodlings and create some real carnage while the player is probably paniced. These are for fun though, I think. Nothing really pro about it, just amusment. :)

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Darkmatter said:
Siege Tanks are pretty awesome. But they do have a lot of weaknesses, and most players open these weaknesses up without even knowing them. Back when I used to play PvT constantly, I observed that many Terran players on Battle.net bunched their Siege Tanks together, next to say a gird of bunkers, turrets, etc. A nasty thing to do is send in a distraction, say a few real zealots as well as some hallucinations, and drop a few psionic storms in the commotion. Chances are good the tanks will die in the storms you placed, if they are grouped up very tightly, then the tanks usually die. And then you can come in with Corsairs and web anything else. Then drop whatever in his base (DT's in this case for me, with archon support (2 or so of both) and a few dragoons for air defence. I'm sure this doesn't work anymore, but back when I played like a nazi it was damn good then.

But overall tanks are really nice to have. But if you place too much confidence in them, I think you might be disappointed because they have weaknesses like any other unit. What I also liked doing was dropping an ultralisk right into the defence grid. The Siege Tanks focus on it, killing a supply depot, a bunker and the marines inside, or severally damaging most things. during that, you can drop parasites, or broodlings and create some real carnage while the player is probably paniced. These are for fun though, I think. Nothing really pro about it, just amusment. :)
You've got to get off this forum and start the playing the game DarkMatter. All those strategies are use way too much micro. Zealot drops, flanks, and late game storm is enough for Protoss. For Zerg, flanks only and drops on T's main. For T, they've got their own.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
It's not like it matters much. Most Battle.net people I play against just mass something. And whats wrong with a little Micro? Maybe you can't do it, but I've done the things above, it's not that hard trust me. Even if you lose a few units. And thats just for fun, whats the problem with screwing around sometimes? Hell, I was doing it again today.

The game was 3v3 Zero Clutter. Before this I was playing with a friend on the same map, so I was used to it. I told my Aly to make 12 zealots and rush in at the defence point in the middle. And when he rushed in, I set up about 5 or so plagues on the entire grid, and he set off some Psi Storms to kill the tanks that were there, in bunched groups. Then all it took was a handy group of guardians to kill the defence since it was decaying as is. Turrets were dead by the time I got there, so yeah. :p

And incase you haven't noticed, I don't play to in, I play to have fun.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
For my placement of bunkers I usually don't have them right in front of the entrance...instead I sort of incircle the entrance with a U effect and have tanks inside....It makes for a massacre of melee troops and it defends against what you said above with the static storm. ....Protoss are still a pain in the but though.

johnpark1223

Member!
Reaction score
tanks are the greatest out of reavers and lurkers

1. tanks
2. lurkers
3. reavers...

just my opinion...

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
... Lurkers aren't the Zerg equivalent of Tanks and Reavers.. Guardians are. And they're at the top of my list :D

[Berious]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Lurkers are actually the closest thing to tanks for the zerg. They require a seperate mode to shoot(in the sense of the splash). They are on the same general tech location.

Tank- Rax> Factory> addon

Lurker- Spawn> hydra> hive

But hey...im just a Bf-wannabe ::rolls eyes::

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
A lurker can't attack further than cannons. The tank is the terran siege unit, as in, able to attack enemy defense buildings without casualty. The reaver is the siege unit for Protoss. The guardian is the siege unit for Zerg. The fact it can fly gives it distinct advantage, but is balanced by the fact it takes longer to tech to, and costs considerably more to make. Units aren't equivalent to eachother by their tech ladder position, except for the three most basic units.

By the way, you meant Lair, not Hive :p

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yes, that's the meaning of siege weapons, things that can fire from the safety of distance.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
Both lurkers and tanks are used to choke, and to harass workers.
Those are the two similarities that I can think of.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
A lurker is a very effective defensive weapon IMO. If you have 6 guarding the front along with some spores/sunkens then You are set when it comes to ground defense.
Guardians are like flying siege tanks. The only problem is that whenever I play zerg I always go corsairs just for that reason. Corsair/carriers/arbitor=gg zerg...either that or I do a reaver drop which usually does the trick nicely.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Guardians have the same Range as Carriers do, which is 8 if I am not mistaken. Cannons and Dragoons have 7, so Gaurdian usually gets to shoot first. Guardians can take out cannons easily but theres still a chance that guardians can get within firing range of a grid of cannons if it drifts too close then starts to attack. Tanks have 12, Goliaths have 8 with their upgrade, and Yamato and Nuke have 10 I think (I am probably wrong on nuke pinpoint, though.) Guardians are my favorite air unit by far (Disclosing Devourers because those babys are sexy.) I like using Guardian/Hydra/DW, it's pretty effective against most things, from my experience. then again, Battle.ent isn't exactly the right place to find any ''really good'' people to kick my ass. :(

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Darkmatter said:
Guardians have the same Range as Carriers do, which is 8 if I am not mistaken. Cannons and Dragoons have 7, so Gaurdian usually gets to shoot first. Guardians can take out cannons easily but theres still a chance that guardians can get within firing range of a grid of cannons if it drifts too close then starts to attack. Tanks have 12, Goliaths have 8 with their upgrade, and Yamato and Nuke have 10 I think (I am probably wrong on nuke pinpoint, though.) Guardians are my favorite air unit by far (Disclosing Devourers because those babys are sexy.) I like using Guardian/Hydra/DW, it's pretty effective against most things, from my experience. then again, Battle.ent isn't exactly the right place to find any ''really good'' people to kick my ass. :(
Just start an account on PGT. Registering is easy, and there is no confirmation of matches; everything is automated. The players there are quite good.

A new season starts tommorow. They're having the big top 96 tourney soon also. Largish monetary compensation for the top three.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Explain to me what PGT is, and chances are very good my internet problem will not allow me to play endless matches of Starcraft at any given time or date. Sorry to say it, but I have bad issues with my ISP at the moment, so it's probably not the wisest thing for me to do, sir. :(