Aren't tanks the greatest?

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
johnpark1223 said:
a bunch of tanks in siege > a bunch of speedlots
Well, if tanks are already sieged, then I'll just use a shuttle and drop zeals on top of them rather than needlessly throwing them at your tanks.(or attack from more than one side) :)

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
i rather non seige on toss

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
I'm terrible with Terran, personally. With Zerg, the only strategy I've seen that can indefinitely beat my crackling strategy is a mass of tanks sieged on a ledge. Not even Dark Swarm helped; splash damage is full beneath it, so only the targeted unit is left undamaged, while the units (zlings in this case) around it are damaged or killed. While I look back, there were dozens of things I could have done to get around the situation; however, very few other strategies could have beaten mine at that point in the game.

Nicholas The Slide

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i like to use tanks for defending my base more-so then attack, as in siege mode they do awesome damage. baisically 2 tanks + bunkers +2 turrets=secure entrance. but yes, i llove them for def.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Master_America said:
I'm terrible with Terran, personally. With Zerg, the only strategy I've seen that can indefinitely beat my crackling strategy is a mass of tanks sieged on a ledge. Not even Dark Swarm helped; splash damage is full beneath it, so only the targeted unit is left undamaged, while the units (zlings in this case) around it are damaged or killed. While I look back, there were dozens of things I could have done to get around the situation; however, very few other strategies could have beaten mine at that point in the game.
That's when you drop ;)

G37Z

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.kingdomofloathing.com
Master_America said:

Like Tronga said, drop some lings or something melee down there in the middle of em ;) always works 4 me :p

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
MasterAmerica, what about firebats? MnM are used ZVT, which in itself does average against cracklings, but if he see's alot of lings he'll just add a bunch of firebats. That's why you add lurkers to the bunch. And if you already have hive might as well toss in some ultra.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
or just use Guardians and get it over with :p lol

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Guardians are a good surprise early on, but as terran's science vessel count increases their use decreases. If you could time it after you caught his sv with scourge perhaps it would be effective. Ultras are just a more conservative and safe choice.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I prefer lurker/ling/deflier, though it's harder to execute.(gotta learn sometime) Maybe throw in some guards if I have gas left.

General rule: The more tanks he has, the less SVs he'll have and vice-versa.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Lurker ling defiler, when used correctly, is something that almost makes me question the balance of Starcraft. It is devastating.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yeah, defilers are, more often than not, targetted by irradiate than anything else because of how devasting that strat is, when properly executed.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
There's one game I remember, SKY League OPL 2 round ArtOfTerran vs JulyZerg, July did lurk ling and def, and Art still won I think(can't remember very well who won) he ended up with bunch of bats killing lurk + ling at the end.
Kinda made me sick.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
How is that play any good? And the drone would only mine about 7 times before DS wears off.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
Renzokuken said:
How is that play any good? And the drone would only mine about 7 times before DS wears off.
Can't explain with just words, it's a must-watch replay(with your own eyes).

Go here to download the replay(includes screenshots)
http://www.sclegacy.com/features/pimpestplays_2002.php
SC Legacy said:
3. SiR@SoNi's Trail of Tears

SiR@SoNi~ [Z] vs Chunsang [T]

This replay is a great game, and the Pimpest Play in question, which comes at the ending, is just insane. If you watch the replay, pay close attention to 3 mineral only at 46:45 because that is where the real action starts. Situation: SiR@SoNi has one drone left and no anti-air. Chunsang has enough money to produce one Wraith and he does so secretly on the cliff of 9 natural by attempting to block his starport with another building. His Wraith is completed seconds before two Ultralisks nearly demolish the starport. His objective is to hunt down that one drone so that he can win the game since Zerg has no anti-air. Unfortunately for Chunsang, SiR@SoNi is not ready to die without a fight.

To keep his drone alive, SiR@SoNi employs several awesome tricks in keeping it away from the Wraith's burst lasers of death including dark swarm, an overlord, and burrow. First, with 15 health left, SiR@SoNi picks up the drone in an Overlord. He casts a dark swarm with a Defiler nearby and drops the drone into the swarm a split second before his Overlord is killed by the Wraith. Then, he burrows the drone while rallying more units for the Defiler to consume. SoNi's objective now is to get his drone to the nearest extractor, where it can mine enough gas for him to build two Scourges to hunt down the Wraith, winning him the game. In a brilliant move, SiR@SoNi builds a trail of around eight dark swarms to the extractor, where he can mine under the safety of more dark swarms. Chunsang, in an act of desperation, moves his buildings over SoNi's hatcheries, hoping the Scourge will explode upon hatching. SoNi, knowing this, sets a rally point away from the buildings and successfully hunts down the Wraith, ending the game.

One of the reasons why this play was so incredible is because of the numerous close calls that took place...the Ultralisks nearly tearing down the starport in time, the drone nearly dying before it was lifted by an Overlord, and the Overlord almost dying before dropping the drone into the dark swarm. The whole thing plays out amazingly and you must watch it to understand it completely. Just for background information on the players, Chunsang is aka [joypop]zodiac, and SiR@SoNi is Lee Jae-hang of IS, Boxer's former team. SiR@SoNi's Trail of Tears is number three in our Pimpest Plays 2002.
P.S.:
This replay only works for v1.09b, so you'll need to patch your SC to v1.09b if you wanna watch it. I got a program that can patch to 1.08~1.12b in a sec w/o dling anything. But I think it's too big to post it here, so I'll upload it somewhere if you want.