What makes a game good?

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
Simple. A discussion about what the most important factor in a game is. Not talking about technical stuff, just what you think is important.

For example: gameplay over graphics? - Then try to discuss. Could lead to some interesting posts. Hehe, this board can use a few more of those, so what are your thoughts?

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
Why? What parts? In a shooter for example, what would be most important: AI, or a great variety of weapons? I personally think that AI is most important in many games, but how much can other parts of a game compensate for this? You often see rpg games with an endless amount of skills, but only a few of them are usefull. Jay for deep discussions with arguments! Thought this forum had some fanatic gamers with an opinion...

Tyrael

Ready Yourself
Reaction score
Okay, I want a game that has a good plot and good characters. Like a book, I want it to leave you hanging in the cutscenes, and I want good AI. FPS is a keystone also; I don't want Tetris on level 2 speed graphics; I want a brick falling in mid air graphics.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I think it would depend on the sort of the game it is. Like say...for the Monkey Island series, it's all about the jokes and the puzzles you have to solve in order to advance in the adventure game - such as the fact that I needed to put someone else's nits onto a comb to get rid of a certain person (lol). Yeah, the graphics for MI1 and 2 aren't that awesome, but for something that came out in the early 90's, it was pretty awesome. Whereas in the case of RPG games like Fallout, I loved the way the statistics change the way others perceive your character, especially for Fallout 2 with all the dark humour going on and it was a true RPG game in that sense. Or say...Princess Zelda: Twilight Princess on the Wii - for me, it was definitely the way I could flail my arms and still beat the boss, along with awesome graphics, a great storyline and some cool things you could do when fighting. Or in the case of Monster Hunter on PSP, I loved the interactive play and the satisfaction you get when you're able to beat a ridiculously difficult monster (of course, there's the graphics too for MHF2). And D2? It was because I had friends playing the game. LOL.

- Amantis

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
Haha, playing with friends is awesome. One of the reasons why I love offline co-op. A friend of mine bought Halo 3. We finished it on easy, got all skulls, and then went for legendary with all skulls on. Nothing beats that feeling of finally having a perfect win in the end. Or just fire up Super Smash Brothers Brawl and beat the crap out of your friend with an umbrella wearing Captain Falcon. Epic feeling.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Nothing makes a game good because games don't have intrinsic "good" or "bad" values.

But we can define what aspects of games make them appear good to us.

For me, games are broken down into three sectors. The singleplayer and the local and online multiplayer.

What I look for in a singleplayer mode are two things: a storyline and good AI. A game like Mass Effect has an amazing storyline and therefore gets my top marks. Good AI is difficult to come across as games usually make them too hard or dumb. A good example though is Halo Wars, where the AI gets better or worse, depending on how good you are, in skirmish mode.

In local multiplayer, the idea is for you to get a game that caters to the people you play with. If you buy a game that you own at, it won't be fun for others. That's why easy-to-learn games such as Rock Band are so successful.

An online game is where people can find other hardcore gamers. It can be difficult however.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
besides repeating from above, i think graphics will have to be there somewhere. for example, i would never play team fortress 2 if it didnt look the way it did.

aeonteam

Touché
Reaction score
Website
www.aeonltd.com
I much prefer a game with an awesome story and game play over that of one which lasts 2 hours with realistic graphics. My Ideal game would be a well balanced mix of the two.

Basically, this is how it breaks down.

Wonderful graphics but short game time = No.
Game play and story that keeps you involved for days with horrible graphics = No.
Wonderful graphics and a great story and game play = WIN.

;)

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
it depends on the game category and its purpose. for example, i wont be expecting an intense gameplay element in final fantasy, instead ill be expecting warm atmospheres, nice story and cool characters (tidus is a fag, everyone from FFXII is a fag).

in shooter games or whatever id want to jump straight into the game no questions asked. that means storyline isnt important but the amount of kickassity in the game is important

Bob Marley

The African Herbsman
Reaction score
It depends. I mean, The Graphics On Final Fantasy 7 Pretty much sucked in the gameplay, video, not that bad (Yes i did remember that this game was made early on) but i still value it as one of my favorite games because it had a storyline that made you generally come back later and say, "I wonder what Sephiroth is up to today.."
But i dont think id like the game halo 3 that much if it werent for the graphics. theres only so far an expansive world will go when it looks like the game contra..lol

And no one wants an ai thats too smart..thats where developers have cluster fucked before. they make the game too hard. like when your walking and you duck behind a wall in a creeping stance in a shooter, the ai runs up and kills you from the other side because he saw you somehow for some reason even though you werent near him yet...mm satisfying

Pred Killer

You added to the rage.
Reaction score
Website
www.s6.invisionfree.com
Elements that make a good game... well... let us see.

For shooters: The Game should have a well thought up original storyline shedding as much cliches as possible while remaining realistic. The game should have many enemies while not revealing too many of them early on, which is a problem Halo had for me because you are fighting big ass hunters in like the second level, this should apply to weapons and other equipment as well. The storyline should be like a movie that is playable IMO, and should have well thought out cutscenes that grip your very soul and not let go until you least expect it. The gameplay should be simple and easy to learn, in order to take you on a ride you never forget. There should be things on screen such as the HUD to aid the player like Ammo readouts, Health, Motion Sensor or if that is too easy a Mini Map which does not show enemy locations making them like ghosts and appear all around you. It should be relatively easy to die also, but if this is the case make the enemies realistic in terms of health and the amount of damage they dish out as well. The gameplay should also require the player to think up strategies to bring down foes, and have epic boss fights that practically make your mind take a steaming shit and leave you felling like a god after beating them. The weapon and enemy designs should be crazy and out of this world IMO and possess abilities far beyond any normal human, and the games antagonists and the protagonists' nemesis should be nearly unstoppable foes who have never known defeat, and forces that push the player to their limits, and beyond... this is what I think makes a good shooter.

I would go onto explain RTS and RPG but I suppose I shall do that in a later post.

gnts

The tiger says RAWR
Reaction score
i usually like a good storyline, along with characters. i dont really care much for graphics, thats just a bonus. i also want some good tunes in the game, thats real nice

Limewax

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Theres no question about it. Gameplay.

Great graphics are one thing, if it doesnt have "easily accessible" game play with a mechanic of "game depth"... it will fail. Thats why linear games have a high successrate in the first week, and a high fail rate after that... once people get bored with it, they stop playing. Most single player games I play are like that.