What makes a game good?

CoStin

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
with out qoestion a good game need : good gameplay, storyline and the X factor
Xfactor is the moust important thing and is represented by taste.

titan015

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Definitley gameplay....I don't give a damn much about graphics although it does a have factor....what matters most is if you enjoy the game vy it's contents..not with the colors and such because it will bore you to hell

James212

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
A good game gets you addicted instantly. A good game can have the most horrible graphics in the world but if it keeps you coming back then the game is good.

Catscratches

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Teamplay, if you want to play seriously in clans the game must have teamplay.

Tristam

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
good gameplay and storyline~

zuas0

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
its makes game good because of its graphics, effects and specially gaining friends ^_^

lennoj43

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm,.....

My friends and discuss that thing...

Its realy game play.....
graphics....
Connections....

and others^^ i forgot

pepsicoke

im a n00b TT
Reaction score
for me, it's basically the graphics. i hate suckish graphics. XD i love the flashing lights when you cast a spell, the weather effects, the clarity of the picture, etc.

then there's the story line. the game has to be different from others to get the attention of gamers, right?

then lastly, the community. sure, the graphics pwns, the story line's sick, but what if the ppl playing the game are ill-mannered. -__- lol

gobilamaker

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Storyline
Gameplay
Good Battle Scene
Kickass character designs
Lots of puzzles
Maybe a type of super strong boss w/c is hidden in the game
Good Graphics

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
I think the key factor is immersion - a game has to create an alternate environment from your everyday world that you want to immerse yourself in. What factors are most important for creating that will, of course, differ by game and player.

For instance...

In Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, the storytelling was excellent. The puzzles were far too easy and the combat system sucked - but damn, you cared about the characters and their world. It wasn't about winning; it was about finding out what was going to happen.

In contrast, I find the world and storyline of Diablo 2 bland. But I was hooked, because of the gameplay and the social aspects. I always found the D2 combat system really satisfying, and the game constantly rewards you with better items, XP, etc. And then when I branched into multiplayer, I found I had a (virtual) space to hang out and do something fun with people from all over the world. I got to keep up with old friends (and for a time, family) when we physically moved away, and made some amazing new friends out of it.

In the Fallout series, it's an incredible fictional world combined with a wide range of choices that result in a wide range of consequences. Any RPG lets you create your own character, but how many of them have NPCs treat you so differently depending on those choices, with entirely different quests/story threads possible?

And then there are simple games like Tetris or Metro Siberia, which hold your attention just enough to be engaging but also kind of let you shut off. To me, these games are like meditation; they're mind-clearing, they offer a break.