Time Travel

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if time travel is possible our world has already been changed as much as it is going to be changed.... if its pssible, then you cant say "we will invent time travel in a few hundred years" because in the future its already invented and they could omce through here. and... how far appart would the times be? are there infinate? infinately slpitting milliseconds? i tihnk that there is no future until it happens. the closest thing to future is present and past is our memories... or maybe time travel is possible and our world is constantly being changed.

Biske

Reaction score
There are just too many variables involved with the whole concept. Like what Wing Zero said, somebody could have already come back here, and already changed their time. Also, I like that statement he said about the future. It's made tommarrow, not wrote down somewhere waiting to be deployed into existence. I mean, if you went back in time and met your ancestor, that by some off chance may make them not have children, thus, you would un-ravel, simply fading out of life. Time is not some uncharted sea that can be sailed. It's here, then it's gone.

beebawp88

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
"You cant say time travel is possible. And you cant say it isnt. Theoretically (sp?) it is possible. If u write it out with pen and paper its possible to figure it out... my teacher showed it to me after school once and explained it to me very well. But that was waaaay back when i was a freshman... and i dont remember it well. But physcially its not. I do remember one thing though, you'd need to find a way to endure 30,000 tons of pressure. If you go fast enough in space or something, you can actually accellerate time or something i dunno it was a long time ago."

hmm interesting. are u sure that wasnt another theory...

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dependency
And yes i am saying that if you go back in the future and blow up the world, then somehow traveled back to THE SAME INSTANCE of the future that you came from, everyeone would be alive. Thats what physics says. Im not some physics major so my knowledge is limited but the current laws end up saying that.
I believe that'll only happen if you go back the same way you got to the past. It's the parallel universes theory. If you return by the same way, you'll get to your universe, and the destroyed universe will be another.

But, from there, I guess the universe you get in is choosen by luck, so you can enter your own in the past. Or maybe that's not possible at all.

Anyways:

According to Einstein, if you travel at the speed of light, time stops. Perhaps, if you pass the speed of light, time will go backwards.

However, it was already discovered, at the CERN in Genebra, a particle that was faster than light. Does it means that the relative time of that particle was going in the opposite way of our own? Does it means that that particle came from the Big Crush, or whatever will end the universe?

MacMan

Reaction score
A particle faster than light?? I doubt it. I can understand photons under uncertainty, but a particle is beyond us. If you were to travel faster than light, time would not begin to roll back for you, because you aren't manipulating time, you're manipulating your relativity to everything else. If you went faster than the speed of light, you would fall into the realm of imaginary numbers (on paper).
t = t' / sqrt(1 - v^2 / c^2)
t = time t' = speed observed v = speed c = light
where the speed is = to light, the equation is divided by 0, which is where you get time standing still and the speed of light. Say you are going twice the speed of light.
t = t' / sqrt(1 - 2c^2 / c^2)
t = t' / sqrt(1 - 4)

After you pass c, the graph won't even keep up with you, because that's dividing by the square root of -3...
I don't have a problem with imaginary numbers, to me they are quite real, but I believe the universe is set up so that no matter what, time isn't going backwards.

Ivoryblade

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
All these arguments are missing one thing... are there even other universes in different times out there? If your going the whole ... shit forgot the name (the show where its 1000's of different worlds, all in the same time and place, just different in their own way though, and ppl jump through the universes looking for their own) then its possible. But, what if there IS no time. It goes by second by second. Theres no future already happening... no past happening again. It just happened, done with, over.

Shizo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i read no posts but i will explain the basis of time travel:

first you need a carrier to travel in, basically a spacecraft, next you need to find a wormhole in space, then from there shift into light speed time, travel through the wormhole, and BOOM, you traveled through time.

this was stated by Einstein a long time ago, but one thing he couldnt figure out, is how to theoretically control the speed that you are traveling through time, basically saying you cant tell what year you are going to end up in.

LordSlippy

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
okay listen up kids...my grandpa has been a rocket scientist for 60 years..and he tells me a lot....and there is ONE method that is damn near impossible to do...here it is....

You'll need one rocket ship that can go the EXACT same speed of light...and since the rocket would probably tear abpart..you would need a rocket that converts pressure and heat into power....making it possible....

then youll need a telescope that will be able to see light years away...

1st...you fly your rocket ship at the exact same speed of light...then you fly it to the gravitational pull of 100million years ..then at the last second you go faster than the speed of light...and it will FREEZE the speed of light...then you look through your telescope at earth and you will see what it looked like 100million years ago (or what ever gravitational pull you go to)....altho you couldnt reach earth urself..cuz as soon as you move the speed of light will go again..so you can only look at it..you cant change anything....

there you go..to bad we dont have a ship that could do that...but we do have a telescope that could do that..it costs billions of dollas tho

MacMan

Reaction score
The rockect ship freezing at c sounds like an assumption. Once you pass the light barrier the effects of your movement aren't measured with simple speed, but hypercomplex numbers instead (look at my post on the previous page). Besides, anything involving breaking light speed is impossible in real life because your mass at c would become infinite.

To whoever says wormholes can harness timetravel, the chronilogical protection conjecture says that's false.

LordSlippy

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
exactly what im trying to say macman..its impossible to do it..BUT IF..I SAID IF...if you had a rocket ship that could do that..you could see the past...not the future tho........macman ur completely right...thats why i stressed the word "if"

good comment

Shizo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
it isnt that impossible is it? we have planes that can go what now, mach 7? convert one of those planes into a spaceship, send into a slingshot with the biggest gravitational pulling body in the solar system, and BOOM, you go really fast, idk if it will be light speed, but it is fast.

FakeNameHere

Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
going at the speed of light would cause you to no see anything at the speed of light, duh. if a train was going in a circle at the speed of light, then you cant see the train, no matter what you do or what angle you look it at.

Tupeq

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wciii.com
If you went back in time and stopped a world war and went forwards in time, things would change, hence 'forward in time', when you changed time forward everything would evolve from how you left it.

Secondly I don't understand time that well and it is in fact a dimention, but i don't remember how... i think time travel is a fantasy people wish for. It is said, and is true, that "time" stops while in the part of a black hole that is called...uh...zone of...action...or something like that, but what is meant by this is that things like the immune system stops, machienes would stop working, stars stop fusing, like that time (which i guess makes it a dimention) but time and movement outside of the black whole doesn't stop at all.

FakeNameHere

Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
you got the whole concept screwed up. nothing could be farther from the truth. i regret making my awsome popular threads. i wont explain now cause my eyes hurt from my monitor.

Tupeq

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wciii.com
wow this i just read this second page and i love all of you almost. I would like to say that you would be able to see the train, but only after it passed, and it would be all distorted. LordSlippy, I've never thought of it like that and I love you for it, even though it isn't time travel you're looking at the earth from a long time ago, but what doyou mean by gravitational pull of 100 million years. and could someone tell me how one's mass can change just by changing their velocity to an insane ammount? and oh yeah i just thought of something if you looked through your telescope when light "froze" around you, you wouldn't see anything unless light was passing through your telescope, you can't look at a single image because Electromagnetic rays are absorbed, the ones of visible light are absorbed all thoroughout your body, but most importantly the rectrum (that's the thing that reads visible light, right? well it doesn't matter you get the point) so you'd have to be going slightly slower than light at the time you were looking through the telescope and when you looked at earth it would be moving slowly.

LordSlippy

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hey READ MY LAST POST....its 100% fact.......to bad we dont have a ship tha could do it....AND if you do it the way i said in the last post..it will only FREEZE time in the past...and you cant go in the future..its literally impossible.....just read my post where i explain the time travel stuff.....

MacMan

Reaction score
It would only be fact if you would be able to totally change the physical laws of the universe.