Resident Evil 4

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
OK, so im 2 months late, but I really had to write this. I beat this game in under 48 hours, when most RE games take me 72 - 96. So, Resident Evil 4 A.K.A. House of Metal Gear Evil, one of the years best, or an over hyped piece of shit?

Gameplay 4.5/10
The most noticable part of this game right away, is the fact is the controls are the exact same as RE, and Silent hill games. Similarities in gameplay end there.
Instead of the still camera, your game camera is confined to a 45 degree cone. This creates Resident evil a FPS in third person. You might as well call it a FPS, because the entire game your going to be going into a near FPS view. The Camera immediately pissed me off. When I started off, I had to calm myself down telling myself I would get used to the crappy camera. 42 hours later I wanted to chuck my NGC out the window. It is the most annoying piece of shit ever. I hate FPS games, and this reminded me to much of one. This wasn't the only thing, the camera created one of the most annoying parts of combat. Every enemy seems to have been programmed to attack from your blind spot. The 135 degrees you can't see are completely open.
It isn't jsut that, it is how cheap the enemys are and how ludacris it becomes. Metal Gear Solid had a Birds eye camera in which you could go FPS. Capcom decides to not steal that function, instead settling with other obvious ripped elements. Capcom has shit out another Resident evil Game, and this one takes the prize for most annoying.
Which reminds me. The point of Resident Evil is a survival horror. Residen evil games featured dozens of wierd creatrues, many of which may decapitate you on a whim, or merely poison you. The creatures all varied, very few tiems reused. Enter Resident Evil 4, the first resident evil action/adventure game. The game is basicly a generic copy of every other arcade game. your given alot of ammo, some big guns and 100 villagers to unload on. When your done unloading on 100 villagers, and you reload with your near infinite ammo, there is 100 more villagers to kill. Because Capcom decided " I know, why make more than one type of enemy, we can just use the same villager with different skins 1000 times!".

There is about 3 different types of enemys, and 6 if you count the fact that the three are just reused with different skins. This game is not scary, the villagers if your caught off guarde may surprise you from the crappy camera angle, but there is not an inch of actual horror, let alone anything to define this "survival horror". Silent hill has retained that status, after 4 games it is still survival horror. RE4 is the furthest thing from a survival horror. RE had hard puzzles, psychological elements, a good story, with enemys and too few guns/ammo. RE4 has no puzzles, is rather dull in scenery, crap story, a shitload of enemys, and even more bullets. The game isn't scary carrying a TMP with 1000 ammo, with nothing more than villagers standing in your way. Not only that, but the game isn't hard. I got through the game with a handgun, shotgun and a barely used TMP. Aside from humorous runs with a knife in previous RE games, you shouldn't be able to get through the game with your first weapon. It just prooves the game was incredibly easy.

Even the bosses were taken down with one shot of a rocket launcher you can buy at the first merchant. The final boss was beaten in 3 minutes with the use of two rockets. This game, with "intellegent zombies" deserves to be called "House of the dead 3". I swear some of the enemies looked the exact same, the game elements were there also. "'Shoot' 'shoot' 'shoot', cheesey voice acting cutscene 'shoot' 'shoot' 'shot'" repeat.

Puzzles Make a RE game. The "pure action, no puzzles" made the game rather boring, no incredibly boring. The puzzles that were thrown in could have been solved in 10 seconds by a kindergarten student. You know there is something wrong when there are 15 puzzles in the game, and most of them are just adjusting one of two options one way. The last puzzle in the game, was 4 chapters away from the ending of the game. Almost an hour of gameplay of no puzzle just shooting.

RE4 reminds me of castlevania, which is in a "horror" setting, but is the farthest thing from it.
Again nothing ground-breaking, the game has become an action oriented button masher. Yes, thats right no actual skill involved in boss fights, instead half of it you jsut need to hit two buttons, or mash the "a" button fast. While Resident Evil 3 had a much similar dodge move, the game featured alot harder enemys and bosses.

Enter Ashley. The stupid blonde who happens to be the presidents daughter. I mean its typical that she does absolutely nothing in the game, except moan and bitch about being carried away. Sure she wants to help, pointing at where I may shoot at a trap to kill a boss, except she stands there pointing as the boss runs up and kills her. I being unable to unleash the trap cause she stands in the way pointing. Or how about when she is curled up in a ball and the cloaked ******s snatch her. Why should she do anything while I am forced to snipe the enemy. Screaming "save me leon im a stupid cliche hostage girl who can't do anything"

Then the stupid bitch thinks she can try and make a move on Leon at the end of the, after being one huge pain in the ass. Should have taken advantage of her leon, coulda had some fun then left.
Upon finishing the longest RE game, in shorter time than I did in RE3, i knew something was wrong. with close to 120 deaths, maybe 10 of those are from real deaths, close to 110 deaths becasue I didn't hit the buttons fast enough for the game. I'm not mad at that. The thought of being killed in a cutscene, not the actual gameplay didn't phase me. It was the fact that the game threw them at you all the time. Then when you died, the game just let you go right back and try it again. Between mashing buttons to run away from a giant bolder, jumping on the back of something and stabbin it or to jump on a ledge with ease, I have come to the conclusion that Leon is in fact a wannabe Solid Snake.
The game is excessively easy, and provides nothing but repetative gameplay. This is not a resident evil game, it is a metal gear solid game with no stealth. A single soldier behind enemy lines sent in to find a missing person and get them out, with brief pauses to allow a chat over video radio with a helpful agent and a scene with a helicopter and a huge gun.
Throw in alot of weapons, and its a Metal gear solid game if I ever saw a game. Action is what it is at, screw actual skill and originality.

The few things I liked about the gameplay was the interface. Being able to climb ladders, knock them down, jump out windows jump over fences. It made the main character move more fluidly compared to the other games.
Resident evil has gone from a game that defined an entire era, to a cookie cutter game.

Graphics 10/10
Freaking amazing. If there is one thing that got me, was the attention to detail. Despite a few problems, the game was graphicly amazing. Simply entering the first village, watching the fire made you actualy believe you were there. I don't know how it id going to go on the PS2, because the graphics will take a huge hit on that relic.
Only minor irkling with one of the enemys was the fact second boss was I swear to god it was a cave troll. Look carefully, the freaking thing is a cave troll.

Sound 8.5/10
Sound effects were good, well done. However the voice acting (while never as bad as Resident Evil(I don't think you can get worse than Resident evil)) was mediocre. Scenes where Leon confidently tells the current bad guy to shove it, seemed forced. Leon's character had little to him, he cracked a wise comment to whoever he was up against, and then you fight. The main enemys, like sallazar and saddler had the stupidest accents, almost worse than Carlos in resident evil 3. Like I said, the confrontational communications were lame, and didn't do much for the game.
Just also like to point out that the game removed horror elements, with playing music when your spotted. Only time RE games palyed music was right after a boss intro or a big event. RE 4 pipes up music to tell u right away "your going to be attacked". Took much of the fun out of the game.

Story 2/10
The list of the things that connect RE4 to the RE series
-The game name.
-The Characters name.

I mean, come on. "Umbrella is no more, but we decided to continue the series based on nothing". What really caught me off gurade was the fact the RE series, and the RE 4 games are the exact same. Think about this, Umbrella gets a virus and unleashes it to take over the world. Saddler gets a parasite and unleashes it to take over the world. It is so basic, yet can understandable be passed off as a new story line.
The story itself is so incredibly dull. To refer to Metal Gear solid again, its a rescue mission, "rescue the presidents daughter" (thats right, the most powerful man on the planet let his daughter be kidnapped and taken to Europe, and no one knows anyhting about it) They send in one man to save the president's daughter. I mean screw the U.S. Military, the FBI, CIA, or navy SeALs, they have Leon, hes just like solid snake, but instead he was a rookie cop only a few years ago.
The game just ends up being a back and forth battle where you have Ashely, then you don't, you have her, then two rooms later you lose her.

Replayability 4/10
I played the mercinaries briefly, its just like the game "arcade" shoot everything as much as possible. I swear to god this game is MGS, and house of the dead mixed together.
If i had enough going through it once, I can play it on proffesional. Halfway through my second time I think to myself "there is a difference". I mean omg the enemys are "slightly" harder, I am scared now. I'll just pull out the INFINITE rocket launcher I got from beating the game and win.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Overall 5.8/10
Personaly, Resident Evil 4 should have been a stand alone game, away from a series it has nothing in common with. With no actual connection between the games except a few characters, RE 4 is incredibly stupid. The game started out promising, I actualy was having fun in the village, until i realized every level after the castle WAS THE EXACT SAME. I would have liked the game alot better had it been called House of Metal Gear Evil. A stand alone game would have suited the mediocre. Definately a game over hyped.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Um, that was the worst review I've ever seen. You got a few things wrong, especially your rating on the story. Beat the game, COMPREHEND the story, and read all the files throughout. Play Assignment Ada.

As far as controls and gameplay, I'm not sure how the camera could annoy you. There is not one single part in the game where you should have an akwards camera angle that can't be fixed by a 180 turn (introduced back in RE3 and ammended into later ports of earlier REs). I never had to touch the C-Stick once either.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
Um, that was the worst review I've ever seen. You got a few things wrong, especially your rating on the story. Beat the game, COMPREHEND the story, and read all the files throughout. Play Assignment Ada.

As far as controls and gameplay, I'm not sure how the camera could annoy you. There is not one single part in the game where you should have an akwards camera angle that can't be fixed by a 180 turn (introduced back in RE3 and ammended into later ports of earlier REs). I never had to touch the C-Stick once either.
I beat the game, i have read every file and beat assignment ada. asside from a little remark about umbrella, assinment ada didn't help anyhting in the story

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If you woulda comprehended anything, you would know Wesker is still working to restore umbrella. Ada was helping Wesker to get her hands on the samples to betray Wesker and help Umbrella's rival. There is no deterent from the story, only a new plot. Umbrella, seemingly defeated. is going to make a come back. RE 4 is just the beggining.

Zerglite

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
i know u dont want my opinion, but here it is

RE2 was the best RE

everything after that was SHIT, camera angle was SHIT, story was EXACTLY the same- like pan said, look... theres a virus... its deforming the people...so you'll shoot them *blah blah blah*

All the RE's after RE2 is the reason i wont even attepmt to rent RE4, or play it in any way, shape or form

and good god this series is old, at least the FF games all 15+ of em provided something new everytime, a new story, it wasnt "kill the zombies" every time

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You could use the same logic in FF.

World is in peril from some evil force, heroes rise up with swords and magic and beat him.

It's all the same archetype, just different characters and spins on the gameplay/story (as far as character and plot development) and is no different from the Biohazard series. 4 did the same thing FFX did for the FF series. Updated graphics, camera, gameplay, and just went about telling the archetype differently. It continues the RE story, which if it didn't, then it wouldn't be much of a RE.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Shadow1psc2k said:
If you woulda comprehended anything, you would know Wesker is still working to restore umbrella. Ada was helping Wesker to get her hands on the samples to betray Wesker and help Umbrella's rival. There is no deterent from the story, only a new plot. Umbrella, seemingly defeated. is going to make a come back. RE 4 is just the beggining.
Exactly. A more humorous way of looking at Resident Evuil 4 is a mexican version. A mexican virus, cultists, etc. I have to agree with Wes, the game my not have been fufilling to you Pan, but it still carried off vines from the original Resident Evil Franchise. Hence, Wesker and Ada. A new dawn is coming,. which will probably be RE5. If the game was totally unrelated to the other Resident Evils as you somewhat put it, then not as many people would have bought it and praised i to be an awesome game. I respect your opinion, I just do not agree with it.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
This is by far the best, most accurate review of RE4 I've yet to see. I enjoyed the entire series (except Survivor) and this game was such a defamation of the Resident Evil name that someone should have gotten fired. It tarnished the name of Resident Evil, and is by far the worst game of the series. At least when I say I didn't like Survivor, I still include it as part of the series. I won't even give that much to RE4.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Exactly. A more humorous way of looking at Resident Evuil 4 is a mexican version. A mexican virus, cultists, etc. I have to agree with Wes, the game my not have been fufilling to you Pan, but it still carried off vines from the original Resident Evil Franchise.

All they really did was pull the names off the characters, and the name of the game. None of the characters resemble what they were in RE2. Leon, Ashley and Ada are such 1 dimensional character, a 12 year old could come up with a more complex story. They have nothign to them. Leon is the Solid Snake Wannabe, Ada is the cliche femme fatal who no real character, Ashley is the dumb blonde whore who can't do shit for herself.
The thing that made RE, RE was the T-Virus and Umbrella. Capcom said that both those two were gone, and will only be brought up to move on a new story. Even if they brought back umbrella, it would be in name only. Think about it, Marcus, Spencer, Ashford, William Birke, everyone that was umbrella, everything that made umbrella is dead. Wesker never was umbrella, the oh so mysterious other company he worked for yadda. Something I hated about code Veronica.

Hence, Wesker and Ada. A new dawn is coming,. which will probably be RE5.
RE5 has been announced. Not only will they rape Resident Evil with RE4, but they intend to further drag the series through the mud. I personaly would prefer to have had the series end and never play a new RE, then to throw shit story lines together and call it a game.

If the game was totally unrelated to the other Resident Evils as you somewhat put it, then not as many people would have bought it and praised i to be an awesome game.
Why do people praise Halo 2, or GTA:SA? Because people don't know a shit game when they see it. RE4 has betrayed true gamers and has gone on to appeal to the crowd of casual gamers, the ones that don't know shit and just play a game that looks good and they cna beat quick and easy. MY GOD Resident Evil 4 even gets easier if you die to often.

I respect your opinion, I just do not agree with it.
Fine.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The difficulty thing is meant to be a challenge. Get a 0 death game in 7 hours with a 90% accuracy on Pro. That is the most difficult RE challenge since Real Survivor/1 dangerous zombie/invisible enemy on REmake.

As far as character personality and development, I don't know what you are smoking, but go play RE 2 again. There wasn't much in the way of character development there, or personality, but RE 4 expands on that.

I don't know why you brought Halo 2 into this, that was just a a statement out of left field, but the GTA comment is at least on track. After GTA 3, it's the same damn game pretty much, and that does get old. This RE was something new and fun to play. RE 5 will have the same engine, save changes that would improve upon the gameplay.

Zerglite

Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
The difficulty thing is meant to be a challenge. Get a 0 death game in 7 hours with a 90% accuracy on Pro. That is the most difficult RE challenge since Real Survivor/1 dangerous zombie/invisible enemy on REmake.

As far as character personality and development, I don't know what you are smoking, but go play RE 2 again. There wasn't much in the way of character development there, or personality, but RE 4 expands on that.

I don't know why you brought Halo 2 into this, that was just a a statement out of left field, but the GTA comment is at least on track. After GTA 3, it's the same damn game pretty much, and that does get old. This RE was something new and fun to play. RE 5 will have the same engine, save changes that would improve upon the gameplay.

so your saying halo 2 isnt the EXACT same as halo 1?

o look.. i can get 2 guns now... and a sword... WHO GIVES A SHIT

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
Pro was easy as hell. You wnat me to do a 0 death game in 7 hours? I barely got through the game once only to find I had to go through Assignment Ada before I could write this. I barely had the energy to spend my time with the same boring bullshit over and over. The game sucks, it isn't worth my time to make the game challenging to myself by trying not to die once. My point was that the game actualy makes itself easier to the retards who die 20 times in the same place.

RE2=Leon was a good guy, new rookie cop etc. etc.
Ada was much more developed, both were more human and more appealing. Just the last scene with Ada and leon on the bride before she got knocked off was great.

Re4= Leon=Wannabe Solid Snake. The worst/useless lines, cliche character you see in 10000 games. Ada is worse, same as leon, no development. she pops up with a speed boat, comes in to fire bullets at some guy and throws down a rocket launcher. Boring as hell, she had no character. she was thrown in to make u think it was a resident evil game.

I don't know why you brought Halo 2 into this, that was just a a statement out of left field, but the GTA comment is at least on track. After GTA 3, it's the same damn game pretty much, and that does get old.
In the last 6 months there have been 5 hyped gmaes. 3 out of 5 were complete shit. Halo 2, GTA 3 and RE 4 were over rated bullshit thrown together to make a quick buck. All terrible sequals to better games.

This RE was something new and fun to play. RE 5 will have the same engine, save changes that would improve upon the gameplay.
Oh good, another one probably as bad as the first.

P.S. the two games that were amazing, and didn't suck were Metal Gear solid 3 and Half-Life 2

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes, because the 1 person for every 10,000 who says a game sucks is right ;)

The games were hyped, and sold well for a reason. The only one I don't agree with is GTA: SA, and that's only cause I don't like the GTA series much lately.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
GTA3 was the best of the series. Three types of bombs made my day. It had a lot better replay value too. It took me longer to get 100% on GTA3 than GTA:VC and GTA:SA combined. Also, I didn't have to look anything up for the latter two, but GTA3 I had to look up the location of a few secret packages because they were being a bitch.

The fact is that RE4 would have been a great game IF they didn't use the Resident Evil name. Why even use the name when it's not the same at all? I was so disappointed in this game, after being an avid player of all the past games and a die-hard fan of the series. Like Pan said, I'd have rather had them discontinue the series than do what they're doing now, ruining the Resident Evil name.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
They are allowed to do whatever they want to the name, they made it. If you aren't in favor of the new changes, then don't play the game. Just because it comes from a series where it's predecessors are different doesn't mean it's a bad game. That's the point I'm trying to make.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
They are allowed to do whatever they want to the name
Well since they already did, I knew that, as I'm sure did everyone else already. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Shadow1psc2k said:
they made it.
Obviously.

Shadow1psc2k said:
If you aren't in favor of the new changes, then don't play the game.
Or, here's a thought, I'm not in favor of the new changes, so I won't play the game, and I'll also warn other people what's in store for them so they don't waste their time or money. If you aren't in favor of contradicting opinions, then don't go to online forums.

Shadow1psc2k said:
Just because it comes from a series where it's predecessors are different doesn't mean it's a bad game.
You're right, that doesn't necessarily make it a bad game. In this case, however, it does.

Shadow1psc2k said:
That's the point I'm trying to make.
If we didn't understand your point, we wouldn't be disagreeing with it.

knux1psc

Reaction score
idiots....

the first major issue you guys fail to look at is that your are judging a game based on the standard for the series. you guys are creatures of habit so god forbid they try something new that might make you have to do a 180. and there is alot of ammo in the game that deters from the survival idea but there is an ass-and-a-half load of zombies to kill. if you kill all the zombies in a room and dont pick anything p from them you will be looking at generally the same amount of ammo as in previous RE series. they eliminated the holding keys in your inventory so you dont have to go check a box every 10 minutes to pull something out or put something back in. it has they best graphics of any RE to date and is hands down THE best game out on any next gen console(minus god of war which i havent played)! so you guys need to quit bitchin about how different it is and look at the standpoint if it werent RE and if it was "shooting zombie game x" idiots :hbut :hbut :hbut

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
knux1psc said:
the first major issue you guys fail to look at is that your are judging a game based on the standard for the series. you guys are creatures of habit so god forbid they try something new that might make you have to do a 180. and there is alot of ammo in the game that deters from the survival idea but there is an ass-and-a-half load of zombies to kill. if you kill all the zombies in a room and dont pick anything p from them you will be looking at generally the same amount of ammo as in previous RE series. they eliminated the holding keys in your inventory so you dont have to go check a box every 10 minutes to pull something out or put something back in. it has they best graphics of any RE to date and is hands down THE best game out on any next gen console(minus god of war which i havent played)! so you guys need to quit bitchin about how different it is and look at the standpoint if it werent RE and if it was "shooting zombie game x" idiots :hbut :hbut :hbut
What you fail to understand, is what I'm is I would have liked it alot better if they had made it "shooting zombie game x" or I really prefer "house of the Metal Gear Evil" so I would know exactly what games I was getting, and not be tricked into thinking I was getting a queality RE game.

One of the things I hated was the game was so godamn easy. Like u said no box to look in means the game is easier, no challenge. the perfect marketing game. That is what I hate about RE4, and loved about the other games. the Other Games were fun, scary and challenging. And sure sometimes you would have to restart a real resident evil game casue you ran out of ammo, but that was a part of the game. RE4 is simply a bid for capcom to make cash off the generation of casual gamers who don't play real games, just easy games.

knux1psc

Reaction score
you enjoyed goingout of your way into the box so you could progress the game only to go back to the box to get the thing you put in o trade for the stupid______(key,valve, whatever). Also did you just go out and buy it without hearing a review such as yours or god forbid rent it before you spend 50$ on something you cant return. tht is your fault not capcoms. if having to go back to a box is challenging then i feel bad for you.