Resident Evil 4

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
knux1psc said:
you enjoyed going out of your way into the box so you could progress the game only to go back to the box to get the thing you put in to trade for the stupid______(key,valve, whatever).
Hah, you make it sound so linear. Resident evil games were never linear, it was never step by step, to box grab key open door switch item repeat. It was more open exploration. What I was refering to was the puzzles. RE games were known for challenging puzzles. Like the homo sexual music box puzzle in RE3. What did RE4 have? Combine three pieces together to get to the next stage. RE4 was a linear game, everything happened sequencial, no area to explore, everything was basicly one road that you followed, hardly ever back tracking.

Also did you just go out and buy it without hearing a review such as yours or god forbid rent it before you spend 50$ on something you cant return. tht is your fault not capcoms. if not having to go back to a box is challenging then i feel bad for you.
If you read my review, I had been looking foreward to a Resident evil game, I was open to changes. But what I got weren't changes, they were abombinations.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pan said:
Hah, you make it sound so linear. Resident evil games were never linear, it was never step by step, to box grab key open door switch item repeat. It was more open exploration. What I was refering to was the puzzles. RE games were known for challenging puzzles. Like the homo sexual music box puzzle in RE3. What did RE4 have? Combine three pieces together to get to the next stage. RE4 was a linear game, everything happened sequencial, no area to explore, everything was basicly one road that you followed, hardly ever back tracking.

If you read my review, I had been looking foreward to a Resident evil game, I was open to changes. But what I got weren't changes, they were abombinations.
What are you smoking? There was almost never more than 3 explorable rooms open at a time. And once you beat the game once, if you can't remember how to beat it and still feel like it's a challenge after that, then that's sad.
As far as puzzles go, yes RE4 lacked the complicated puzzles of RE past, but it's not like the previous RE's puzzles were that hard. If it took you more than 10 minutes to solve any RE puzzle you should be checked for brain damage.

What was wrong with the changes? They implemented every single one of em near-flawlessly.

knux1psc

Reaction score
RE4, with newly implemented change, also had some hard ass bosses. the wolverine blind man was interesting because you had to shoot bells. RE was always looking to go in this direction and the reason games on ps1 like RE and MGS had the fixed and overhead cameras was because it was graphically easier to do. and even without imagitanive puzzles i think the fastest run is like 3:10 which is like triple RE2

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
What are you smoking? There was almost never more than 3 explorable rooms open at a time. And once you beat the game once, if you can't remember how to beat it and still feel like it's a challenge after that, then that's sad.
As far as puzzles go, yes RE4 lacked the complicated puzzles of RE past, but it's not like the previous RE's puzzles were that hard. If it took you more than 10 minutes to solve any RE puzzle you should be checked for brain damage.

What was wrong with the changes? They implemented every single one of em near-flawlessly.
RE1, RE2, RE 0, RE CVX all had several explorable rooms, and one key would open several more something like 5 more rooms. The game first time through was more static where events weren't completely linear. RE 3 had massive streets to explore though it suffered from a short game.

Obviously when you beat the game your going to remmeber it. Though I don't know about what games you were playing, but RE puzzles were a collection of some of the hardest puzzles to appear in video games. I read an article on it somewhere.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Myst series has waaaay harder puzzles than any RE could ever think of. As far as straight puzzles go, it's not like there were many hard ones. Alot of them were just get item A, put it in place A, then item B is available, unlock doors, repeat.
Something RE 4 brought to the table was the total ****ing zombie ownage up the ass that RE shoulda had. In place of endless item trading, we get endless monster killing.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
Myst series has waaaay harder puzzles than any RE could ever think of. As far as straight puzzles go, it's not like there were many hard ones. Alot of them were just get item A, put it in place A, then item B is available, unlock doors, repeat.
Something RE 4 brought to the table was the total ****ing zombie ownage up the ass that RE shoulda had. In place of endless item trading, we get endless monster killing.
I have come to the conclusion you are a loathesome casual gamer, and thuse has nothing to bring to this arguement but your generation of lazy gamers who are jsut looking for an eazy game to beat and then brag about how good it is.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Then you sir, are a moron. Anyone who knows me knows that I am anything but a casual gamer. But that's besides the point.

I know a good game when I see one, and this is one. Just because it is not the norm for the RE series, because the did something difference instead of beating the shit out of a dead horse, they did something new that kicked ass. They didn't detract much from the look and feel of RE, they just gave us (literally) a new look into it by not having pre-renedered backrounds anymore, and giving us the freedom to use the environment to our advantage.

knux1psc

Reaction score
in making referances to final fantasy series you can see we are clearly a breed who love easy games. and what makes you so high and mighty to give you a new view from a different perspective? maybe you think this game sucks because you are too hard core into games to relize that maybe if i didnt just wakeup,play games, and get on the forums you can see that is a thrilling expierience not just meant to be beaten and then predjucized against because it doesnt meet your incredibly high standard of lackluster puzzles.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
Then you sir, are a moron. Anyone who knows me knows that I am anything but a casual gamer. But that's besides the point.
well all your points above point towards one truth, you are easily suckered into a game taht a 6 yearold can beat, and still wouldn't be scared of. Face it if you like RE, you like the new breed of games which require nothing to beat.

I know a good game when I see one, and this is one.
Congradulations, you have me convinced. lets read on

Just because it is not the norm for the RE series, because the did something difference instead of beating the shit out of a dead horse, they did something new that kicked ass.
Fine, taht is great, but it is still not justifyable as a resident evil game. Resident evil is survival horror. I would be surprised if RE 4 scared a 6 year old.
They also turned it into an action/button mashing game. What fun.

They didn't detract much from the look and feel of RE, they just gave us (literally) a new look into it by not having pre-renedered backrounds anymore, and giving us the freedom to use the environment to our advantage.
Congradulations, the only two things that were good about the game were the graphics and sound. Though the music was hardly scary, it just added to the action adventure RE game Capcom shit out.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You are over-simplifying the difficulty of the game. And so what if a game is easy? If it's fun and a good game, then it's worth playing. Difficulty means nothing. And trying to generalize my view on games in an argument on one specific game = fail. And if it takes you 72-96 hours to beat ANY RE, I'm sorry, but your view of difficulty is horribly skewed. RE 4, the longest RE of the series, shouldn't take more than 15 hours, if you walk the whole game.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The game is basicly a generic copy of every other arcade game. your given alot of ammo, some big guns and 100 villagers to unload on. When your done unloading on 100 villagers, and you reload with your near infinite ammo, there is 100 more villagers to kill. Because Capcom decided " I know, why make more than one type of enemy, we can just use the same villager with different skins 1000 times!".

I also mentioned that I beat RE4 faster than I did Re3, becasue RE 4 was barely a challenge.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pan said:
I also mentioned that I beat RE4 faster than I did Re3, becasue RE 4 was barely a challenge.
That further proves my point that you have no concept of difficulty. That is the shortest traditional RE. Also, RE4 does not = the easiest. People think it's the easiest because of it's continue function. Like I said, play the game without dying. by chapter 3 the game will go through insane degrees to kill you. Play it on Pro without dying, even further proof of this. It's quite easy to go through every other RE without dying, in 90 minutes and be done. They were all easier on the hardest diffiiculty because it was predictable. RE 4 makes you fight to stay alive, or dare I say survive? Yes, that's the word. RE4 had it's scary moments, and a lot more of them thanks to the stunning graphics brought to the table by this new installment. RE 1-3/CV never scared me simply because the realism wasn't there, and the fixed camera made everything easier to see. With the 3rd person view something can come up behind you and make you jump, and sound effects in RE4 >>>>> other REs, by far. Don't even bring up the horrible acting of the original RE. As great as it was, the acting was atrocious.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
That further proves my point that you have no concept of difficulty. That is the shortest traditional RE. Also, RE4 does not = the easiest. People think it's the easiest because of it's continue function. Like I said, play the game without dying. by chapter 3 the game will go through insane degrees to kill you. Play it on Pro without dying, even further proof of this. It's quite easy to go through every other RE without dying, in 90 minutes and be done. They were all easier on the hardest diffiiculty because it was predictable. RE 4 makes you fight to stay alive, or dare I say survive? Yes, that's the word. RE4 had it's scary moments, and a lot more of them thanks to the stunning graphics brought to the table by this new installment. RE 1-3/CV never scared me simply because the realism wasn't there, and the fixed camera made everything easier to see. With the 3rd person view something can come up behind you and make you jump, and the music/sound effects in RE4 >>>>> other REs, by far. Don't even bring up the horrible acting of the original RE. As great as it was, the acting was atrocious.
Why do I want to play the game again, and force myself to make the game slightly more difficult? The game should be difficult to begin with, and the hard option should not have to be unlocked, but be available at start. Little puzzy easy games like RE 4 piss me off. RE4 you don't have to fight to survive. if a mod of enemys show up you chuck a grenade. You don't have to worry about running out, the game supplies you with 10 more for every one you throw. same with ammo. CV, RE:remake and RE0 had amazing graphics, I don't know what your smoking. The fixed camera did the exact opposite. sure you could see behind you but only a few feet in either direction. further adding to suspense. There was no crappy music to signal enemies were around, you had to listen for the moans, or the movement. sometimes it didn't come and you ran into an enemy. that was more scary.suspensful than crappy villages that were not close to being scary, more funny then anything.

Music was shit in RE games, but you try and compare voice acting from a game in 2005 to a game released in 1998?(you cannot be dissing REremake, 0 or CV cause they had good voice actors) You realize how low of a budget RE was compared to RE4? Video games have had to be produced on such small budgets they could ony afford half decent actors. And you know what, it gave the game some character.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If you die, enough to where the game is ridiculously easy, then obviously it's hard enough. How many times did you die? Also, this isn't the first RE to have only one difficulty at startup. The game does not give you as much ammo as your talking about, unless you were dieing excessivley. and Enemies (save for a few select spots, maybe 3 i can think of) did not just clump in groups of 5 or more in one spot that you could throw a grenade and kill em all. Ammo drops maybe one time every 3 zombies, and untill later in the game you can usually keep about the same amount of ammo throughout. Same can be said for other REs, assuming you didn't try to fight every single zombie. REmake and RE 0 had great graphics, but RE4s were better. there is no way you could argue otherwise, but they still looked great and were great games. REmake (not sure about RE0) also had the music signal for enemies about, as did RE 2.... And it's not like the village was the only area in the game. There was a well done castle, and the Island that had plenty of twists and turns and surprises. Lastly, i wasn't comparing the games, and was pointing out that a game could have crappy sound/acting and still be great. RE 4's sound effects do more for the suspense than any other RE has done so far.

aang8405

Reaction score
hello

Seems this forum died a while ago, but ill have the last say for now... :)

I'm sort of torn between feelings about this game. But overall i reckon ill support Pan on this one. I'd only started playing this game the second time round a few hours ago before reaching this forum and i gotta say, a lot of Pan's pts looked spot on to me.
What made this game for me were the amazing graphics, range of weapons, variety of environments and satisfying sounds (e.g. SPLAT :) ). However, this game was a bit of a wake up call for me. I always saw myself as a hard core fan of this series since playing RE2 (THE all time classic). The others following it were alright, and i played through them to remain up to date with the addictively absorbing plot and affirm my status as a true RE fan. However, after this playing through this game i realised i was mainly a hard core fan of...RE2.
This game had it all. Graphics (for its time), storyline (full of shocks, twists and great character development) and soundtrack (from the haunting music of the police station hall to the oh-so-exciting self-destruct countdown climax). Its gameplay, i admit was not as fast paced and satisfying as RE4. But, as Pan stated, RE4 was not overly various in terms of enemies - most were pretty much recycled (big, small, bearded, hooded).
And the storyline - the part that drew me in most into the series- was eliminated completely more or less. How about the satisfaction you used to get when you picked up a file in the past REs? Cos you knew their was more detail on the conspiracies going on. Something new was being discovered. The files in this RE4, on the other hand, were REALLY boring to read - "stop the american", "get the girl" "stop the american" "take over the world" "stop the american". The biggest (though rather dull) twists in this were that Luis was somewhat responsible for the current disaster and that Ada was working for "GASP" Wesker?! Even coming up with the president's daughter actually being sherry (though a bit weak and predictable) could be more effective for shock value. Even Krauser (who i thought may have been Nicholai or Carlos or ANYONE- anyone linked to the past!) turned out to be yet ANOTHER nobody in the short list of rather uninspired characters. Just about every cut scene in RE2 revealed something interesting, even if it did only involve the repetitive waving of a character's hands to express a point. About 90% of the cutscenes in RE4 involved Leon doing more or less some sort of extraordinary flip or mentioning the word "s***t" as he faced another major obstacle. I.e. RE4'S cutscenes were more impressive than interesting.
I myself am not much of a hard core gamer (but i often get hooked on a good storyline)- In RE4's case i like it cos it was very manageble to finish without much thought involved ( and this compensated for the attrocious storyline), whilst RE Remake, though better in terms of storyline, was more difficult than fun IMO.
But RE4 was also very repetitive. The scenery and different character skins simply attempted to hide this. However, the variation in the boss battles was quite enjoyable.

IMO, satisfactory repetition is a good way to describe RE4. Many different and fun ways to kill roughly the same sorts of enemies; one door leading to another to another in one environment, and eventually a door leading to yet another different and good-looking environment.

I reckon this game was good, but a little (yes, just a little) overhyped. It seems a lot of people simply just agreed with their expectations ("Capcom spent 4 years developing this- i waited so long for this game- it has to be good") and the popular opinions ("believe the hype!") of the game.

Pan's review was a breath of fresh air IMO, cos he was not afraid to highlight some very valid points that didnt just involve typical statements like"great graphics" ; "you can now aim at enemy bodyparts" "enemies are 'smarter' " "BELIEVE THE HYPE!!!"

Actual gameplay probably wasnt one of the previous RE's strong points (stiff control, simple shooting system, slow-moderate action) but the experience was. It took about 4 times longer to finish RE4 than it did RE2, and yet in all honesty i only remember having had jumped about twice in RE4 (the claw dude in the cell, and the freaky hissing infrared thingy) as opposed to at least about 15 in Re2.

Gameplay in RE4 is an easy win when compared to the others, But deep down it's clear something is missing when you play through the game, namely plot and creepiness or simply: RESIDENT EVIL. Capcom bragged about changing a lot of stuff to revolutionise the series but did they have to virtually EVERYTHING and STILL call it resident evil? I LOOOOOVED Devil MAy Cry, but had it been called Resident Evil 4/5 starring Steve Burnside with superpowers and Jill Valentine as his side kick and with the Devil May Cry plot, not happy would i be. This is almost what they did with RE4. No umbrella,no zombies, not even referring to the t-virus as a possible ingredient for these new crazy controlling parasites, no link to the past whatsoever. Except Leon, Ada, and a teeny bit of Wesker...and of course, unrightfully, the title.

This is a game suited for gamers in general (duh, i suppose). Not exclusively RE fans (unlike previous REs), which i suppose is a good thing. But since i hang out for the story and creepy experience in RE games (as im sure many RE fans do) a little more than the gameplay, RE4 left me quite disappointed. It seems better as an arcade game to me.

There's probably stacks of holes you could pick at in my argument but, oh well, feel free. Clearly this game is huge (as well as favoured by both regular gamers and RE gamers alike)- obviously you dont need to convince me to that -there are PLENTY of reviews that support this. But it's good to find one (like Pan's) so refreshingly different and yet plausible from all the typical others

Quite a whinger arent i? :) Had 3 exams today so ive gone quite mad, as you no doubt figured out!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the comments aang8405.

I think I had more fun ripping up RE4 in that review than I did playing the game.

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I had more fun reading your review than I did playing the game.

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The creators have said that they wanted to change the repetitive direction that the RE series was headed to, so you can't blame them. It's basically your opinion vs theirs.

Anyway, after reading your review, I'd like to comment on the gameplay section (what really matters): Were most of your negative criticisms created because the game did not follow the traditional gameplay of the previous games? I mean sure, if you did look at the game from that perspective, I would agree, but there's always 2 sides to a situation.

I've never been a hardcore RE player, only having played parts of RE1,for the most part. Sure RE4 it didn't feel as scary as the original, but I did feel some tension in several parts of the game. I found the camera enjoyable compared to the one in RE1, where it's fixed. If you can't see the enemies behind you, run to the nearest wall or corner and do a 180 and it's fixed. Boss battles were creative and I definitely disagree with people saying they were hard. As a recent RE fan, I found this game interesting to look and enjoyable to play. Replay value is alright, if you try different guns every time you play. RE4 does fail not on the quality of the voices, but the lame jokes and the cliched story.

ShadowRayne

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.embersfade.com
Ok wow...this forum is long dead, but I just wanted state somethings to defend RE4.

I have one word for you guys: Savior.

RE2 was THE best game in the genre with very scary moments that are basically classic to the series and great characters i.e. Leon and Ada. RE came out, and it was like holy crap look at this a zombie game?! I'm scared shitless, I dunno what to do! UNLOCK THE DOOR! Load screens! AHH! RE2 came out...it was so great, but it was basically: I'm scared shitless, I dunno what to do! UNLOCK THE DOOR! LOOK AT ALL THE LOAD SCREENS (which added to the tension, very nice thing in the game don't get me wrong)! AHH! RE3 came out...guess what? Hmmmm same thing, but with Jill! FROM RE! Sweet! Then, they decided to release about 2000 other titles with the same style of game play, same zombie killing-don't shoot too much game with just a different title on the box and a different character to stay alive with. PLEASE dont get me wrong, the RE series is probably my favorite series on any console but the repetition that the titles had were getting kind of...boring.

Now, RE4 comes out...oh man...I just can't believe the negative comments it has gotten on here. Lets bring back the lead character in THE BEST RE title yet, Mr. Leon Kennedy (who, personally I cummed my pants when I heard he was the lead role in this game) to start in the revolution of the RE series. Lets actually make a RE that isn’t the same exact game play and style as the other titles, lets take out the load screen doors. The new camera angle over the shoulder of Leon is probably one of my favorite additions, allowing you to only focus on what is in front of Leon and not realize that 3 more plagas are walking toward you that you don’t see. The villagers are a hell of a lot smarter than the zombies in RE, they actually try and surround you and try and dodge your attacks rather than walking straight at you and taking your damage—yeah they are zombies and can’t think so naturally they will just walk straight at food they don’t know what a gun is—that is what’s cool about the villagers…they are smart killers. I found the difficulty in this game about the same as in the other games, the only thing that was different was the amount of ammo it gave you, but I do have to say that someone exaggerated how many grenades you get…I remember having to conserve my grenade supply. They story lacked a little bit, but overall it was still excellent. I wish it would of tied into RE2 just a little bit more, but doesn’t it take place like 5 years after RE2? That is a long time…lots of change in Leon’s life…

I seriously don’t know why everyone is so bitter about the change that RE4 undertook, personally in my opinion the series was just getting to predictable. RE4 is the future of the series, an unpredictable future…this is seriously the first time that I have no clue what the next RE will bring, and I’m thankful for that.