Does massing=nOOb

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if massing a certain unit means your a noob cause i suck straight out but i still use a small variety of units, But my friend once he techs to it he olny uses his hero and Druid of the claw. I tell him he is a noob for doing it but he is in denile.
Is this a noob thing to do...(massing a unit that is)

Kuro Neko

Reaction score
Well depends. If you're in a RT game like 3v3 or 4v4, and it's a strong unit like DoTC or Tauren, sure. But others like 1v1 and 2v2, you'll definately lose.

zeroxuz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
One VS one mass gauls? Lose? XuZ me but are u a total noob?

Lets say a person is a going humen spellcaster and you goes for a DL and DK it is not likely the Humen wil survive:)

So massing in 1 VS 1is NOT a bad idea!!!

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
In 1v1 no, in 2v2 maybe, in 3v3 maybe, in 4v4 maybe and in 6v6 anything goes. :D HINT: If you all go mass Ghouls in 4v4 you'll be screwed. :D Only mass when you have a few counters with allies.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Human? Losing to mass ghouls(assuming you ment ghouls..You suck at spelling)..? Wtf..Don't bash my race like that bastard. Even so in 1v1 it's incredibly stupid to go priest/sorc casters without speallbreakers. Which this combo -would- murder mass ghouls especially with a caster hero, blizz and/or firestorm wold murder slowed ghouls right before breakers broke their asses.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Massing in 1v1 or FFA is suicide. Anything else might be ok as long as your allies can provide a balanced team of units, to back up the massed unit in question.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
this isn't starcraft, this game requires skill, so massing isn't an option if u want to win

IceDevil9

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rcthaven.com
Massing requires little to no skill.

You need to be able to micro decently, and know what units coralate well with others. Which ones work with some units, and not with others.

Massing is a bit noobish, but I don't like that word. You can try to mass, but anyone who's good at Warcraft III, will know how to stop it, and it just doesn't work.

-Frank :cool:

scatjoe

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by IceDevil9
Massing requires little to no skill.

You need to be able to micro decently, and know what units coralate well with others. Which ones work with some units, and not with others.

-Frank :cool:
i agree, for instance if u just mass tauren it can be easily stopped by air, but if u use a few casters with the tauren u will own, with bloodlost and healing wards, and maybe a few zerks for aa

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pan
this isn't starcraft, this game requires skill, so massing isn't an option if u want to win
Taking that SC stance to a new level, I see....lol. However I still agree with you, SC requires less skill to play.

BluddLuSt4Life

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.asstr.org
hmmmm, sometimes ill mass wyrms or gargs, but only in RT or AT where i know what other players are making

Mass Dotc, will almost always lose FFA or solo

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes forget about sc when you play war3.
But I disagree.If you are alnoe you cant win with masses of 1 unit type but if you are in a team and combien all armies all the time -actually this is the only way you can win:1 makes ground melee,another makes ground ranged(piercing),3d team makes casters,4th team player makes air.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Units are only good when combined with other units that buff their weaknesses. Like crypt fiends are weak against heavy melee. But when you combine them with Necs + Aboms, it gives them a meat shield to work with. This makes the Crypt Fiends much more useful.

Swordancer

Member!
Reaction score
dont straight out mass (duh) but i have found like a combo of 3 units in team to be the strongest because you can focus on that area of the game and let your allies do the other areas

like gryph/hawk/priest

or fiend/gargs/necros

(both builds only require 2 buildings)

ConfedMonkey

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Aragorn7
Taking that SC stance to a new level, I see....lol. However I still agree with you, SC requires less skill to play.
massing in SC and massing in WC are two different things. When a SC newb player masses that usually consists of 24 rines, but when a good SC player masses that consists of 10 rines, 5 firebats, 9 medics. i think massing is fine, if, you use a variety of units, spell casters to back them up, and talent in microing you will do good.

To say that SC takes no skill, is completely naive of you. Most of the players in bnet find it nessesary to build say 7 unit building factories. Which sucks for the rest of us that take the title "real time STRATEDGY" into consideration, so now i only paly with my friends which are like that.:)

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by ConfedMonkey
massing in SC and massing in WC are two different things. When a SC newb player masses that usually consists of 24 rines, but when a good SC player masses that consists of 10 rines, 5 firebats, 9 medics. i think massing is fine, if, you use a variety of units, spell casters to back them up, and talent in microing you will do good.

To say that SC takes no skill, is completely naive of you. Most of the players in bnet find it nessesary to build say 7 unit building factories. Which sucks for the rest of us that take the title "real time STRATEDGY" into consideration, so now i only paly with my friends which are like that.:)
Massing in starcraft is:

24 Carriers
6 Corsairs

Ya, and that combo is kinda hard to beat. 10 Marines and a few firebats isn't massing. That is just...the first 4 minutes of the game. Massing marines would be like around 60 or so.

Oh and I didn't say it took no skill to play, because it does take skill to play starcraft. I said it takes "less skill to play". Warcraft requires "micro", in starcraft you can't micro....i have tried it. :p

VBadGirl

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.wnv-gaming.com
it all depends u know massing one unit and staying in in your base while doing so it's more newbish i believe.

Actually for example if u scouted ur enemy but he didn't do it..u might mass a type of uit like mass air (for example) and win...even if he has bears and hunts lets say..or grunts with catas or whatever.

is not recomended to go just one unit but i seen a lot of my games finishing at the stage when i am massing hunts for a rush or creep push.

the more variety u have in ur army the better u can counter ur enemy.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by ConfedMonkey
well you can micro, you "can" take medics, and "can" hot key them and blind a few units easily if you "can" micro :)
However what you speak of is only 1/10 micro. Warcraft 3 micro requires you to be able to move units in and out of battle to prevent them from being killed. In SC you can't micro like that, since most of the units will die before you do. Casting spells on units is another way to micro but like I said above that is only 1/10 of real micro. Warcraft 3 requires a lot of micro and multi-tasking to win battles. Starcraft just requires sheer numbers.

ConfedMonkey

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well i see your point, but to manage those sheer numbers takes some skill, you have to scout your enemy, find weak spots in his defenses, find out whens the best time to expand, or where to expand, or if he is expanding, or whatever else there is. All im saying is that any SC player will agree with you that SC uses lots of units, and the higher food limit shows that. But it takes skill to know where to put them. Or on the other hand it takes skill to know how to counter it.

For example:
some one tried a archon rush(12), and attacked me, i got a templar and psi stormed them twice, it killed most of them, all that remained was 2 archons. I had a photon cannon and a goon, i walked around the cannon, and he slowly lost health till they were dead. if i hadn't of done that i wouldn't of had that out post anymore, and its that were the final battle took palce and i won. So SC isn't "just" abut numbers.:)