Diablo 3 Area/Act/Quest ideas!

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
Hanni said:
You have a VERY good point here. The first 2 Diablo games did give the feeling of a disrupted and doomed world, which made the games so popular. It would be suicide for Blizzard to make it anything other than that. The only way to have it MMO and to make the world still seem doomed would be to load the battlefield with THOUSANDS of enemies, which is kind of intensive. It would suck most likely, but it could be done.
D2 already did that, every map must have had tens of hundreds of monsters. Where d1 didn't have as many monsters, it still was much better in terms of creating that doomed atmosphere. What killed the doomed atmosphere in both games was the ability to play online, because it killed the storyline by making some parts of it avoidable.

Hanni said:
Diablo 1 really seemed a lot more evil compared to D2, and D2 was pretty sunny and green most of the time. I hope in D3 they gloom things up a bit. Burnt grass, dismembered bodies, charred buildings, distant screams, eerie winds, bizzare and frightning demonic ritual platforms.
I think the atmosphere of diablo does add to the doomed feeling, but dimembered bodies, sacrificial areas, and bizzare evil occurances gets old and borring fast. Without the proper amount of contrast between good and evil the game won't create as much of a doomed atmosphere. Instead it will create a predictable world environment with very little concept behind it.

The sudden shift between peace and war, or the concept of knowing that destruction is imminent, are far better methods of instilling "Doom" on a character than scary images.

An MMO could easily create a doomed feeling, but ultimately it is up to the player to buy it. For example, WoW could create this doomed atmosphere simply by having the burning legion invade again. Sure this would be their 10th try, but I have to admit that I would probably piss my pants if some demon king came trotting across my lawn. My point is that an MMO could create a better sense of doom than both d1 and d2 combined. Whether or not it will is up to the developers, but I am sure they have something up their sleeve.
;)

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
Mango_stuff said:
An MMO could easily create a doomed feeling, but ultimately it is up to the player to buy it. For example, WoW could create this doomed atmosphere simply by having the burning legion invade again.
I rekon that would be more commical, that game looks like a cartoon. The ultimate in video game horror is to make all characters "hardcore on creation" then send out waves of death at them =) id be terrified for that lvl 60 character constantly HAHAHA.

Yeah theres more to Diablo then dismembered parts and floating organs and such... but its more the the fact that its your character alone that imparts that doomed feeling (at least as far as i am concerned).

Also if Diablo were to go MMO (ala WoW) I dont think we would ever see a Star Craft 2 from Blizz (dedicating all their teams on WoW and D-something-or-rather). =)

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
Shadow_Drifter said:
Also if Diablo were to go MMO (ala WoW) I dont think we would ever see a Star Craft 2 from Blizz (dedicating all their teams on WoW and D-something-or-rather). =)
That is a valid point, but I think that Diablo will probably go MMO anyway. After all, blizzard has abbandond som of its games in the past.... Im still waiting for the next installment of The Lost Vikings....

Acid Reign

Member!
Reaction score
Mango_stuff said:
That is a valid point, but I think that Diablo will probably go MMO anyway. After all, blizzard has abbandond som of its games in the past.... Im still waiting for the next installment of The Lost Vikings....
Wow I totally forgot about that game... It's been forgotten for years... It deserves a major new installment... Everyone thinking what I'm thinking?

WORLD OF THE LOST VIKINGS
BLIZZCON 2006

J/K... That might be one game that Blizzard could make for the consoles. Idea? I think so.

Sonic_Moronic

Member!
Reaction score
Hanni said:
Wow I totally forgot about that game... It's been forgotten for years... It deserves a major new installment... Everyone thinking what I'm thinking?

WORLD OF THE LOST VIKINGS
BLIZZCON 2006

J/K... That might be one game that Blizzard could make for the consoles. Idea? I think so.
Mybe im wrong, but is it the game where you control 3 vikings, one has bow, one has shield, and other dont have nothing and jumps? Also, they are captured by aliens. So is it that game?

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
yep thats lost vikings

did blizz also do blackthorne? if so that game also needs a sequel

Tiznit

Member!
Reaction score
yes, they did blackthorne...and oh man did that game rock, i remember shooting my shotgun over my shoulder at innocents tied to walls....good times, good times

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Blackthorne!!!! I remember playing that game when I was about 7..Ah..I love that game and still do..I only recently remembered that the game was called Blackthorne. I think I should go and download it. Anyone know of some good trojan/virus free game download sites?

Guinea pigging can you dig it, lets dance and say! Everyone should live their life the guinea pig way

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Shit dude all the posts got pwnt. What are we to do? Will the lost threads be recoverable?

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of them might be, but I wouldn't count on it too much. Sorry for the inconvenience..but I'm sure this will be a reason to spark up new discussion..heh ;)

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
I think we were just discussing Diablo 3..Nothing particularly interesting I dont think or else someone would've remembered. What happened exactly to cause this?

Reaction score
McGorilla said:
I think we were just discussing Diablo 3..Nothing particularly interesting I dont think or else someone would've remembered. What happened exactly to cause this?
if memory fails us like it seems to be doing then what we were discussing probably wasnt important

L

Laharl

Yes, I do feel that an act based entirely underground would be a good, if not interesting idea.

We should also have yet another staff open yet another passageway. Because Blizzard seems to like to use that idea over and over.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Heh, I also thing a totally underground act would be good. Kind of like the Drow in D&D. It could get a bit tiresome though but probably not if there are things to do. If you think about it, Diablo 1 is totally underground.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Ohh..Underwater? Sounds like Baldur's Gate 2 (how the hell do I know all of this). That would be very interesting. I wasn't saying just have it underground, I was just building on what Ryan (Miles Prower) was saying. Air? Somehow I guess, but that could get way to complimacated.

Tiznit

Member!
Reaction score
>_> yeah, the Sahagin place in BG2...eek, I'm such a nerd even though I never actually played that game past the first chapter...

I think in the air could be interesting. Like a city raised up on pillars with bridges connecting everything. It would be hard to explain where this city just suddenly came from and how it fits into Sanctuary though, I'll admit.