Diablo 3 Area/Act/Quest ideas!

ddark

Reaction score
all ideas are good keeping it simple is nice but i was hopeing for a weapons creation or a more nitcable changeing look for the charicters and weapons bigger levels are very nice or even side quest u know things to keep the game interesting one game i play alot have a quest generator it makes up optional things to do nostop always difrent i play diablo2 alot and do find myself looking for more things to do its why i stoped playing for a while just nomore things to do lol and killing just isnet enough

Jacks

Reaction score
Yeah, killing does get boring after a while, but it's just not diablo-esque to have a random quest generator (Though Diablo 1 was pretty close). It's a great concept, to have random quests, but what kind of things would you get for doing it? What would make us want to do the quests?

McGorilla, I think Tiznit didn't mean a mass amount of people to save, just a few, sort of like the beginning of act five, where there's a bunch of barbarian mercs around and you can let them sit there and fight on their own or you can help them out. I think he means mostly like that but instead actually help them because them dieing would be a bad thing.

Tiznit

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't thinking of having like hundreds of people to save lol, that would be completely insane.

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
Hmmm just thought of this while i was posting on another thread. Maybe some people should get together with the new NwN 2 toolset and make some diablo scenarios. that would be cool. Out of many recent RPG, FPS and RTS tools, NwN 1s was prolly the best i used (never did much with it but). Hopefully number 2s will be good as well

(I couldnt ever get used to SOURCE one, couldnt even work it LOL)

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
Tthis is just a suggestion, and feel free to critque it, but I dont think that D3 should have "Acts." That was a D2 thing, just like level progression was a D1 thing. Granted, I liked the Acts for their attention to storyline and playability, but D3 would probably have to top those ideas and thensome. So good luck to whoever the creators are.

As for the Storyline suggestions, they have been pretty kool. Keep up the good work.:hxc

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Hmm..If there arent acts, there should be something better. I know what you mean - if there are acts again, D3 might seem a bit repetitive. But personally, I dont care what D3 is like..I'm sure Blizzard will do a great job on it

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
Well guys the fact is a game either runs on "acts" (also Chapters) or it doesnt. You might not think it but some of the greatest games run on acts

Baldurs Gate (both)
Neverwinter Nights
Resident Evil 4
(most every FPS game around)

however seemless games are also good, these however tend to be MMOs.

My point is, (and this is just me if you can think of otherwise post it =) ) that games either are acts or seemless.

That said I think Diablo played better with acts. These bring the excellent story foward while maintaining gameplay. Acts also (outside of MMO style seemless) allow a game to have a diverse set of environments. Since i doubt D3 would be an MMO i think it should stick to acts.

(those are my arguements =) )

Acid Reign

Member!
Reaction score
The acts would be fine I guess, but yes, they would be repetitive. If it were in my hands, I would make the Diablo world completely wide open, traveling to different areas at will. However, some areas would have more difficult monsters, thus forcing you to build up your character before entering the area. I dunno, I think it would be cool I guess.

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
lol well its not like there is an offical time constraint set (due to no official announcement). A wide open world would be cool, no doubt, but i think it is also restrictive story and atmosphere wise (just me). If they could fix those 2 issues i would say hell yes.

Sonic_Moronic

Member!
Reaction score
Hanni said:
The acts would be fine I guess, but yes, they would be repetitive. If it were in my hands, I would make the Diablo world completely wide open, traveling to different areas at will. However, some areas would have more difficult monsters, thus forcing you to build up your character before entering the area. I dunno, I think it would be cool I guess.
You're making a MMORPG with this. Believe me, you dont want it to be MMORPG. I hope it will not be

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
Sonic_Moronic said:
You're making a MMORPG with this. Believe me, you dont want it to be MMORPG. I hope it will not be
Why exactly wasn't Diablo 2 a MMORPG?

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
MMORPG is a relatively missleading term... D2 wasnt however simply cause of size restraints on the server (8 players or something).

Typically an MMO is a game where you have hundreds on the server at the same time.

Also typically an MMO tends to have a persistant world (events change even when your not online) as well as expansive landscapes (constant stages as opposed to zones (D2 was Zoned (albeit to a large degree, due to its ACT system)).

Diablo isnt really suited to MMO style gameplay. The simple reason being that by having hundreds of players online at once, it diminishes the intended "doomed" atmosphere so well created in the first 2 Diablo games (IE there is no hoplessness when you have an entire army with you)

((thats my opinion but))

The reason I say its missleading is because when people hear it they automatically assume that what i described above is the norm... There really is only one condition for MMO status on a game and its that the server must be able to host at the same time a large sum of people

hope that clears that up Mango

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
Shadow_Drifter said:
MMORPG is a relatively missleading term... D2 wasnt however simply cause of size restraints on the server (8 players or something).

Typically an MMO is a game where you have hundreds on the server at the same time.

Also typically an MMO tends to have a persistant world (events change even when your not online) as well as expansive landscapes (constant stages as opposed to zones (D2 was Zoned (albeit to a large degree, due to its ACT system)).

Diablo isnt really suited to MMO style gameplay. The simple reason being that by having hundreds of players online at once, it diminishes the intended "doomed" atmosphere so well created in the first 2 Diablo games (IE there is no hoplessness when you have an entire army with you)

((thats my opinion but))

The reason I say its missleading is because when people here it they automatically assume that what i described above is the norm... There really is only one condition for MMO status on a game and its that the server must be able to host at the same time a large sum of people

hope that clears that up Mango
crystal...
;)

Acid Reign

Member!
Reaction score
Shadow_Drifter said:
You have a VERY good point here. The first 2 Diablo games did give the feeling of a disrupted and doomed world, which made the games so popular. It would be suicide for Blizzard to make it anything other than that. The only way to have it MMO and to make the world still seem doomed would be to load the battlefield with THOUSANDS of enemies, which is kind of intensive. It would suck most likely, but it could be done.

Diablo 1 really seemed a lot more evil compared to D2, and D2 was pretty sunny and green most of the time. I hope in D3 they gloom things up a bit. Burnt grass, dismembered bodies, charred buildings, distant screams, eerie winds, bizzare and frightning demonic ritual platforms.

shado-dude

Reaction score
i think that there should be humans and horde
the humans have:

paladins
barbarians
necro
zon
druid
sorc
sommoner
assasin
and the horde has:
doom knight (undead and opposite of palidin )
beserker (minatar)
necro (vampire)
shaman (druid)
warlock (orc sorc)
sommoner
asassin(minatar)

Acid Reign

Member!
Reaction score
To be totally honest, I don't think there are dwarves and elfs and other kinds of beings in the World of Sanctuary. The stories that come with the game manuals (D1-D2 LoD) never say anything about elves and stuff, they talk about MAN. Yes I believe there are different types of man, but not other races interacting with them. I have to say if they would put elves and stuff in, it would be breaking the barrier between Diablo and Warcraft, sorry to say.

Oh and BTW - In the D1 game manual, when it talks about the Prime Evils being banished by the "..Horned Death led by the traitors Azmodan and Belial..." are they talking about the army of Azmodan and Belial, or a demon?

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
Diablo has always been about conflict between good and evil within mankind. D2 Wanderer story reflects this perfectly. Thats why its never had other races in it... bacause its about mankind trying to find itself in a world where good and evil are always fighting. Races, never being mentioned in the other games or stories, shouldnt be included.

Other races work well in other fantasy settings (Warcraft and ADnD) yet Diablos style of fantasy is more based on religous dogma as opposed to fantastical beasts and races. That is probably why Diablo has always had a more edgy atmosphere compared to other games.

Hanni said:
The only way to have it MMO and to make the world still seem doomed would be to load the battlefield with THOUSANDS of enemies, which is kind of intensive. It would suck most likely, but it could be done.

Diablo 1 really seemed a lot more evil compared to D2, and D2 was pretty sunny and green most of the time. I hope in D3 they gloom things up a bit. Burnt grass, dismembered bodies, charred buildings, distant screams, eerie winds, bizzare and frightning demonic ritual platforms.
With current internet technology I doubt you could have thousands of semi intelligent enemies running around without issues. Also it would get seriously annoying (imagine having to fight for like 10 or 15 minutes solid consistantly or playing in a different timezone to others and getting online when like 30 or 40 people of varying levels are on and cant help you)

I agree... Diablo 1 was definatly the most horror inspired of the two. it was even more atmospheric because you were stuck (for the better part) alone in a desicrated church and going to hell.

(my fav act in D2 was ACT 2.... loved that desert. Hated ACT 3 but... those rat men (fetish i think they were called) were a pain in the a##)