Contest Verification Instructions - August 14th to 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I'm talking about the part about SEO, Google Pagerank and what not. I can't find it so I thought Dragn was making it up.
when i submitted my blogs he responded saying they will nto count because they have "No SEO value to the site"

which is something im pretty damn sure wasnt mentioned in the least bit for this contest

and @ eric: its not so much just plain bitching for me. im just not happy with the "hidden rules" that dont get mentioned until AFTER the contest is over/on the last day of the contest, this happened on the last contest too.

@Kinkarso: Your a good man, your trying hard here, but theres one thing you have to keep in mind when doing this stuff:
This is a gaming community. SEO, Page rank, allt hat online marketing lingo, roughly 90% of the people that come to these kinds of websites dont knwo a thing about that. its 2 different worlds, we dont care how many backlinks our forums has, we just care that we can talk about games/other **** on it. so although it sounds to you like common sense, i gaurentee (as i said already) the term "SEO" alone is uknown to at LEAST 80% of the community.

*edit* just spoke with donny, just FYI to contest members: if your Blog posts dont have any SEO value (Search engine optimization, basically you have to have blogs that alot of people read) then you dont get anything.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what SEO is either. I submitted all my blogs at the start of the contest, the first person to do so, and Chris said they were good. I dunno. I did what the rules told me to - I linked Battleforums and the contest and mentioned both in the blog entry. I don't know if Kinkarso accepted mine or not. I can understand if yours weren't accepted since I posted mine first and they were on the same site, but eh.

I used the top google blog results - but yeah I dunno what page rank or SEO or any of that is. If it was important it shoulda been mentioned and defined cause apparently Chris didn't even know about it. That or mine were okay.

Referals would be hard to figure out. I don't have any, but for someone with lots of referals how do you know how many you had and how many made it to 10 posts? You can't search your referals and see when they joined. So people that had previous referals, but didn't know how many, could mistake old for new.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what SEO is either. I submitted all my blogs at the start of the contest, the first person to do so, and Chris said they were good. I dunno. I did what the rules told me to - I linked Battleforums and the contest and mentioned both in the blog entry. I don't know if Kinkarso accepted mine or not. I can understand if yours weren't accepted since I posted mine first and they were on the same site, but eh.

Basically think of it this way, typing in "Blizzard forums" gives BF as result #3 in google, this is because it is built around the key term "Blizzard Forums" so when ppl google it, we come up on top, the entire purpose is so people looking for Blizzard Forums in google find us, get more people to come visit,a nd increase our views, thus increasing our SEO and possibly having us bounce above WoW forums one day. the goal of having a good SEO/PR blog we post the BF contest article on is because the contest link would link to BF, which causes google to give more SEO value to Battleforums for having a link from a well established-and viewd site (the blog)

page rank (PR) is basically the same idea, different term.

I used the top google blog results - but yeah I dunno what page rank or SEO or any of that is. If it was important it shoulda been mentioned and defined cause apparently Chris didn't even know about it. That or mine were okay.
for once me and you agree on something, feels weird, but leme help you understand:

SEO = Search Engine Optimization. When you create a website, if it is built around key terms (one of Bf's biggest key terms has always been 'Blizzard Forums' fromw hat i know). Having SEO (getting it laid out pretty with HTML coding, but mostly getting organic, natural, unique IP traffic, and links from other high rolling SEO sites such as blogs, other forums, etc) increases its popularity with the search engines, allowing it to show up higher on the list. ATM Wow forums beats blizzard for "Blizzard Forum" in google, if enough people with blogs that alot of people read joined the contest and submited a blog post for the contest, it int heory could be enough to push us up from spot 3 to spot 2, or possibly 1, in google.

page Rank is the same idea, but based on the value of a particular webpage within the site itself (in battleforums, "New new Picture thread" has tons of views, it has more page rank than a post with 20 views, if you were to put a link to an outer website on page1 of the picture thread, and page 1 of a thread with 20 views, you would get more points in google for the picture thread, because its been viewed more, most likely by a bunch of different people)

long story short, if your blog posts are A. not read by hundreds of people or pre built for SEO (Which im sure yours isnt), or B. Brand new, it wont have SEO, and according to what i just spoke withd onny about, means you wont see a single point for your work.

it took me 2 hours or so to create the extra blogs alone, 4-5 of the blogs i used are 4+ months old, one i think is 6+ months old, but i dont get a single point because they are not SEO qulity.

and jenny, i was told my blogs were fine as well, chris tried his best but for someone who doesnt know what PR/SEO is, it DOES look fine

i tinker in the online marketing world some so i know the terms, i know what hes looking for, and jenny just FYI your blogs dont match that at all (i only looked at one or two, but im pretty sure u did like me), so you shouldnt see a single poitn fromt hem based on what i was told by kink via MSN just now

I didnt plan to win this contest in the first place, but having unkown rules bites me in the ass.

*Edit* spoke with Renz, he has no clue what SEO is either. kinks term of "Common sense" is increasingly becomming wrong

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Hm. I still don't understand. I made new blog accounts and posted it as a new blog. Kind of sucky if I don't get points for it if that's true.

Jenny said:
I didn't count his posts, but I thought his posts didn't count since he is a banned user. Pretty sure Kinkarso only said he could get points for submitted content after his ban.
Kinkarso said:
However, you will not be allowed to, of course, add points to your count through posting and referrals. You will also be limited through other means of getting points. Please read my PM reply for full details.
Yeah, that's what Kinkarso said to him as punishment. Sounds like he can only get credit through blogs, articles, and videos and apparently there were 'further' details meaning the latter 3 could have been limited from 20 to less or so. Even if he got 20/20 article and video and 10/10 blogs without posts and referals he simply can't beat me. It's impossible.

He also got banned so he may not be able to submit his points. Reason for the ban? He started actively posting on his second acount..

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i dont even knwo who were talking about, but if someone was banned during the contest, IMO that = DQ

*Edit* jenny if ur still confused re-read what i said, ive edited it (i realize it was kinda blured, its 5am and im tired as hell) to try and make it easier to understand.

i just talked with kink and hopefully from now on this wont happne (this is the second time tis happened, first time was the last contest)

ive explained to him when hes making this contest, i understand hes doing it purely to increase the popularity fo the forum, to make it bigger, and more findable. but hes not talking to other online marketers when he comes here, hes talking to gamers and people who are here to talk, not to increase the webpage.

I've noticed one big flaw donny has is he comes in here with his Online marketing mindset, but doesnt realize that what he knows doesnt make heads or tails in the heads of the community this place has, why? becasue as i said, were gamers, were here to talk and bs, anyone who never built a website probably has no clue what SEO/PR is (and even alot of those who HAVE built websites)

its like me at my job, yeah i know a ton about computrs and its my job to fix them, but when a customer comes in, they dont know waht the Registry is, they dont know what keyloggers and trojans are, or what a RAID driver is, all they know is they want to get the computer running again.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
His 2nd account I think was allowed so he could submit articles/vids and whisper his point total.. But then he started posting around, I dunno what that was all about. He made a third account?

So. I just totaled up my points. By my count I got 5,511. Lets skip the jibba-jabba and mail me a PS3.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
*edit* just spoke with donny, just FYI to contest members: if your Blog posts dont have any SEO value (Search engine optimization, basically you have to have blogs that alot of people read) then you dont get anything.
Well no ****. You can't just sign up for 20 accounts on blogspot and go "HEY GUYS GO TO BF AND CHECK OUT OUR CONTEST!" because no one will see them, at all. I wouldn't give you guys points for it either if I was running it, as it seems like a surefire way to "win" the contest by massing that kinda ****.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well no ****. You can't just sign up for 20 accounts on blogspot and go "HEY GUYS GO TO BF AND CHECK OUT OUR CONTEST!" because no one will see them, at all. I wouldn't give you guys points for it either if I was running it, as it seems like a surefire way to "win" the contest by massing that kinda ****.
what if yoru accounts arent new though?

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about the advertisement thing or the articles? I thought the advertisement/blogs about bf/the contest were supposed to be done on gaming forums where you have 50+ posts.

Damn Jenny, 5k+ points.

tKeR

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah, I would think you needed to send a PM to get verified. Since he is banned, I don't think he can participate :p.

And yeah, Jenny I think you win regardless. You almost quadropled my points :(.

Also on the note of SEO. PageRank is an algorithm that hasn't really been cracked but people have a sense on how it works. It takes acount of repeating keywords in the website, links to the site, etc. This algorithm will rank your site from 1-10. As for the blogs, I read it that the blog had to be your own, not just googled Blogs.. also the forums reqire 50+ posts so IDK what would happen if you just spammed random blogs.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Well, I didn't use the same site over and over. I use 10 different sites. In otherwords - I did exactly what the rules told me to do which was : make a blog post that is 300 words or more that talks about Battleforums and the contest and provides a direct link.

Are you guys talking about the advertisement thing or the articles? I thought the advertisement/blogs about bf/the contest were supposed to be done on gaming forums where you have 50+ posts.
You could do that or blog posts. According to the visible rules you didn't need to use long existing accounts or even blog sites related to gaming. You just need to do what I said above. I did this because it's just a pain to get 50 posts on multiple forums and they'd feel just like I feel when someone starts advertising.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
if it had to be 300 words or more im sure you guys at least hit that SEO crap. sooo save all your bawwwing for next week.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well, I didn't use the same site over and over. I use 10 different sites. In otherwords - I did exactly what the rules told me to do which was : make a blog post that is 300 words or more that talks about Battleforums and the contest and provides a direct link.
[/color]
thats my point exactly, cause i did the same as you, followed -the rules- to a T, and still got shot down (like i said, im sure your blogs didnt count as well)

and wing:

if it had to be 300 words or more im sure you guys at least hit that SEO crap. sooo save all your bawwwing for next week.
it could have been 1000 words and that alone wouldnt amount to a single thing SEO wise without other things being done beforehand.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
I'm just saying, it's stupid to think that you could just mash blogspot accounts that no one will ever see and expect to get a ps3 out of it.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Doubt it, she went crazy making sure she gets her SNAKE

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I know, I'm lying. I should've said a hundred or something. But I really don't care. I've got a good deal of points, so maybe the 360'll be mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.