Common Misconceptions and Myths about Diablo

Legendarian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Common Misconceptions and Myths about Diablo *sticky plz*

Hey guys, I was bored so I just felt like making this. This is mainly for newbs but some of this might help more experienced players too. These are some big myths about items and stuff in Diablo that I felt like correcting. If you think I was misinformed about any of these, which is a possibility, please tell me. Sticky this if you want!

1. It is possible to make Ith, occy rings, bugged, etc. stuff publicly

Unless someone just made this breakthrough in the last 10 seconds, no this can’t be done. I’m pretty sure most of these things were created in Open Bnet and somehow someone figured out how to get them in closed. But if anyone says they can help you make Occy rings or some crap, they’re full of it.

2. Damage reduced items reduce ALL damage

Nope, just Physical. It doesn’t reduce Magic damage or Elemental. I know most of you are like “duh†but you’d be surprised how many people don’t get this concept.

3. Energy Shield for Sorc uses mana to absorb a certain percent of ALL damage.

Nope, same concept as #2, only physical damage.

4. Eth rune does just what it says… -25% target defense.

Maybe once the patch is out it will but right now Eth is bugged for whatever reason and it has the same effect as Jah, which is Ignore Target Defense. Obviously Jah is deservedly worth a lot more because of it’s rarity and the fact that the patch will probably turn Eth to crap.

5. That nifty little thing where a Zon’s guided arrow goes back and forth through enemies due to pierce is what it’s supposed to do.

This is another thing that Diablo has messed up on and it makes Zons way too powerful, as if they weren’t powerful enough already. Supposedly this will be fixed in the patch also, making pierce a pretty crappy skill for PVP.

6. Items with Increase Max Mana/Life % work with a Barb’s Battle Orders.

Nope, increase max life and mana % items increase your original life and then the Battle Orders takes the increased % of your original life and adds it on. Otherwise it’d be pretty easy for a Barb to Havoc Mark the !@#$ out of everything and have some outrageous amount of life. Actually I’m pretty sure there’s a limit of life you can have but it’s pretty damn high.

7. The patch will delete all Ith, duped, and bugged items.

When the patch comes they may have developed better ways of deleting them but ALL of them will not disappear, as Bnet has pretty much said this themselves. Why would they say “Well we can delete them all now but let’s just wait ‘til the patch for the hell of it!†The patch may change the way items are recognized but if they could delete them all now they would have. As for duped... well deleting dupes would pretty much ruin the game for a lot of people, considering 95% of sojs are duped.

8. If anyone in my party kills the Cow King then I can no longer make Cow Portal!

If someone in the party, who has killed the king in a previous game, in the cow lvl kills the king, then you can still make. If someone, who hasn't killed the king before, kills the king in a cow lvl, you can no longer make, unless you are not in the cow lvl. Regardless of if you are in the party or not.

9. Oh boy, someone said they’re quitting Diablo and to whisper them what to change the password to! Free account for me!

I’m sure you know this by now, but 99.99999% of people doing this are hoping you’re an idiot and will give them the password you’re using on your account. Scams like this are so stupid because the only people that would fall for it are newbs that don’t even have anything worth an soj. Let’s analyze this, shall we? Most of the people that do this give some lame reason why they’re quitting like they’re sick of Iths and stuff. WHY THE HELL would they bother trying to justify their reason if they’re really giving their stuff away? Not like we’d care about their reason anyway, we just want their stuff! It’s funny because they make some lame reason up to make it sound more authentic but it really just makes it sound fake. And more importantly… if I was giving my stuff away why the !@#$ would I say “give me the password to change it to� I would just give you the damn password and leave. It makes absolutely no sense. I can have some sort of respect for a scam if it’s well thought out but this is just moronic.

10. Critical Strike/Deadly strike on items is good for Barbs and Assassins.

Guess what? Critical Strike is bugged too! Despite Barb weapon masteries and Assassin claw masteries saying that each skill level in that mastery increase critical strike %... it doesn't! Critical Strike for Barbs and Assassins are both bugged to do 100%! If Blizz ever gets around to fixing this one a lot of Barbs are going to do some crappy damage.

11. Sweet, I found an ethereal Baranar's Star and I'm gonna Zod it!

Ok, there's something wrong with that statement BESIDES the fact that Zod'ing a Baranar's Star would be a huge waste of a Zod. Yep... it's another Diablo bug. If you try to Zod anything with Increase Max Durability as one of the mods, it won't work. But don't worry, most of the stuff even worth putting a Zod in in the first place (Valor, Hellslayer, etc.) won't give you this problem... I just thought this was kind of interesting.

12. Magic Find helps Rune/Jewel/Charm findings.

To keep with the whole theme of this, I'm gonna hafta tell you that is also a myth. Magic Find increases findings of magic, rare, and unique items and runes, jewels and charms do not fall in these categories. MF does, however, increase the chance that jewels will be rare. MF also does not make more items drop, it just gives the dropped items a better chance to be magic or better. Also, as your MF gets higher, beyond about 200-300% mf the chances of rares, sets, and uniques falling becomes slightly diminishing. To demonstrate this, 250% magic find translates to 193% unique find. 750% magic find, 3 times as much, translates to 280% unique find, giving you only 87% higher unique find though you have 500% more mf. What these numbers mean... nobody knows. But the point is, if you have to take off some MF equipment to make your runs faster and make you die less, it's probably worth it, as long as you have at least 250% mf.

13. If you have an MF Merc with you, their Magic Find adds on to whatever you kill.

Nope, quite the contrary. YOUR Magic Find adds on to whatever THEY kill. So if you are doing Meph runs or something with an MF mercenary, make sure they can handle getting the last hit without getting owned. IMO, mainly due to some of the stuff I stated in number 12, it's really not even worth it to have an MF mercenary. But, hey, whatever makes you happy. :p

14. I have an Unid ______, since it's unid it must be legit and it won't disappear!!

Well, ok chances are that it won't disappear, but I'm almost positive that items can be duped Unid somehow, mainly from experiences of friends I've mine. Chances are the only unid stuff that has a good chance of being duped is the really valuable stuff like unid .08 items (which I think don't show durability) and unid windforce and stuff. If you have had an unid item disappear from you or a friend of yours tell me so I know that my friends aren't the only ones or if they were just BSing me :p

15. Look at me, I’m a high level Amazon with a Buriza that can own almost any Druid, Assassin, and Necro!! I’m awesome!!!

Um… no… not really.

I’ll add some more as I think of them.

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
if this isnt stolen its great and has to be stickied!! ;)

Placebo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Actually I once got a great account by someone giving it away. It owned alot of people at one time.

GJ

~`STuck`~

bmason

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
3. Energy shield only affects physical damage? Then why do you lose mana VERY quickly when you get hit by another orb? Either it doesn't affect magic damage AND it takes away mana (stupid..) or you're wrong. I don't know.

4. Eth rune. Just to clarify, the way eth works is the -25% target defense is not "minus 25% target defense" but "NEGATIVE 25% target defense". It was a SIMPLE typo made by whoever was entering the original mods, and saying negative 25% target defense is just like 0 (zero). You'll always hit.

If they fix eth in the patch then they will fix jah. Jah doesn't work in pvp right now but it will have to if eth is patched as well, so dex will NEVER mean ANYTHING but to get max block or for zons more damage.

Misterwhippy

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by ik-deystroyer
yo all iths are gonna be erased? cause then people can sue blizz
uhhh, they hacked blizz, im sure if blizz wanted to they could sue the people who had iths.

Judge_Dee

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
u cant sue blizz. Cause bnet is a free service and all ur chars and weapons belong to them. So they can do anything with your char and you couldnt do anything about it

VirtualLoafer

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If Blizzard fails to uphold the terms and conditions put forth in the licensing agreement provided when you buy the Diablo II LOD game, they are in jeopardy of exposure to breach of contract. Purchase and use of their product, once the user is made aware of the terms and conditions put forth in the nomenclature, is considered legal acceptance of those terms and conditions which therefore enters the accepting party into a binding contract.

In other words, Blizzard is responsible for providing users with the online gaming environment they promise with the stuff you get in the game box. Beyond that - they don't OWE anyone crap.

In so far as having an account, item, etc. deleted - if YOU don't abide by the terms and conditions set forth in the contract, you're screwed with no legal recourse to support your position. Hacking items would violate those terms - using hacked items probably would not because they can't prove malicious intent.

Contract law rocks!

SuperiorNewbie

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
About the cow king thing... I read some thing like this:
if u already killed king and killed him again, anyone in the game is not affected and can still make,
if u killed it for the first time, everyone in the GAME, will lose the ablility to make...
energy shield absorbs all except poison damage,

and blizz did not make the ith and occy and white and dupes so they can do whatever to them for the sake of the legit players who FOLLOWED the agreement, hackers DID NOT,

Legendarian

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hrm, well i could be wrong on the energy shield thing but if I'm wrong then that's because my source was wrong :p which was some diablo strategy thingy that said energy shield is for physical damage.

XShadowKnightX

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sorri man i found 1 more error..
mf doesnt help out on rune find its all just random for runes, every char has a small % chance 2 find a good rune but mf doesnt help its all luck..... it even says so on arret summit i think...

kennyj

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
"Dex will never mean anything"
Actually, DEX is to bows what STR is to melee weapons. Every 100 DEX doubles the base damage (after enhanced damage modifiers on the weapon) of the bow or crossbow. Melee weapons work the same way with STR, but just as STR is still important for Zons to equip stuff, DEX is important to melee characters to hit stuff. Of course, when Eth/Jah are taken into consideration...

Of course, some melee weapons require more DEX than others, like the Stormspire which is forcing my high-level Druid to emphasize DEX in his highest levels to remove reliance on a +30 DEX ring.

Also, DEX is what determines your ability to block with a shield. The formula is on diabloii.net I think, but basically your shield blocking % is modified by both your level (higher level brings it down) and DEX (more dex brings it up.) This actually allows Javazons who emphasize DEX to block better than Pallys who use Holy Shield in many cases... and I don't think using a Jah or Eth rune allows you to bypass a shield's % to block, but I'm really not sure about that.

liqu1d_g0at

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
they hacked blizzard bnet and they muled all their items to a mule then they rolled the char that previously had the items and then the mule had the items and so did the other char and thats how they started duping!(well thats what i think)