And now for something completely different:

Discussion in 'Artistic Expressions' started by MacMan, Mar 16, 2004.

1. MacMan

MacMan BattleForums Senior Member

I drew that whole thing. Do you understand the concept of a model?

2. Lord_Nikon

Lord_Nikon New Member

Yes I do but... your macman... I thought you'd be a bit more original...

3. Raccoon

Raccoon Post Djinn

Hell, one click of a button could make the exact same thing that you have using that image.

4. Arkillo

Arkillo The best of both worlds

Actually it would be like...15-20 clicks, but ya :(

5. MacMan

Ryan, everything I described about color mixing and brushwork is true. I said I worked from sketches, I didn’t. Could I have? Certainly. Go ahead and hate me for that, but do not call me a “fake.†I used the image to verify proportions and to establish a base palette. The effort and challenge I put into this piece, just for the hell of enlarging a photo by eye, makes you wrong to call it one mouse click’s worth of work.

edit: You guys don't realize how much of that I created...

6. Arkillo

I understand that if you were to zoom in and just look at it, and manually paint it yourself, but I mean come on....It's kinda hard to belive. Don't you have all the backfiles of it or something you can show us?

7. MacMan

It's not hard to believe for a year's worth of work. I do have progress shots because this is exactly what I anticipated would happen. This is the reaction I would have gotten if I hadn't told you I drew it from a sketch.

[edit]

If you seriously believe that I, with my ethics on plagiarism, would plaster my name on something that I did not create myself, then you do not know me well enough.

Progress shots:
    [​IMG]
    This is where I started. I blew up the photograph and traced the contours, so I had a good idea of where everything should be for the rest of the painting process. The brush I used here had the best result when I began blending the colors and over painting with opaques. This stage was done with a Painter 7 beta, and by the time I had gotten to the point in the next image, my .psd had become corrupted and unreadable.

[​IMG]
    All work halted once the .psd because unreadable. I tried opening it in all my photoshop compatible programs but nothing worked. I finally had the idea to try and import it in Illustrator and it worked. Illustrator treated it like a vector or something, so a lot of the transparency was lost on the edges, but that really wasn't a big deal (you can see this in the streak on the left overlaying a layer that was added later). I downloaded Painter 8 and began working on it again. The above is the image after I had spent forever mixing the colors and extracting the shades I liked.

[​IMG]
    This is the start of the hair. I began by starting differently from the method I used on her face (mostly because trying to match the shading on her face was hard and tedious). I started by just drawing opaque lines of some browns I liked. I then drew under the gaps mostly with black and then worked on blending that mess together, not bothering to overlay some more opaque strokes.

[​IMG]
    Here the hair is mostly finished being blended, and I've started on her mouth (in the same style I did her hair in, so that part didn't turn out as I had intended it). The neck is almost finished, and you can see a nice example of the blending process in the start of her ear.

[​IMG]
    This went beneath the finished product to fill in any paint gaps I had missed.

So, yeah. Good job Ryan, you really got me.
    [/sarcasm]

8. Guest

Guest Premium Member

New york

9. Jason

Jason BattleForums Guru

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah!!

Mac - 1
    Ryan - 1

10. Teddy

Teddy BattleForums Senior Member

LOL
    how sad. I Actual did Believe you for a while Macman, :(

11. MacMan

Believe what... that I had sketched it? He's only calling me a fake because I didn't sketch this piece like I had said (and you can see why I said it). Either way, I'm still a helluva sketch artist, and I still poured my soul into this piece.

I really liked his little victory dance to himself, while I was afk watching TV...
    RaccoonBF: http://www.battleforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=775801#post775801
    RaccoonBF: psch
    RaccoonBF: what
    RaccoonBF: u
    RaccoonBF: gon
    RaccoonBF: say
    RaccoonBF: hha
    RaccoonBF: newb
    RaccoonBF: maccy?
    RaccoonBF: u madddd?
    RaccoonBF: hahaha
    RaccoonBF: no answer.
    “RaccoonBF†has stopped using the computer at 8:50:14 PM, and is now considered idle.

12. CelestialBadger

CelestialBadger Retired Staff

Macman, I would just kill yourself if I were you. You obviously have no future as an artist after this incident.

13. Raccoon

Raccoon Post Djinn

1) I don't care about your progress shots because by the look of them it wouldn't be that hard to make them.
    2) You lost your credibility when you said you started from your own sketch.
    3) It seems major powers (CelestialBadger, Roach of Discord, etc) are now seeing you in a more.. negative light.
    4) Zing.

14. Kao

Kao Drives an Evo IX ;)

England
    Meh, you could've just whipped those together in no time. Hell, even I could do that- and I'm a nub at PS ><.

15. CelestialBadger

CelestialBadger Retired Staff

I rated this thread five star for the comic relief.

16. AxL

AxL Buggin' Out

Boston, Mass. USA.
    I think the point Ryan is trying to make is that you said your drew all of those things yourself and painted over them into that painting.

I have a question for you MM. Why didn't you just say that you painted it over a model? What where you trying to hide?

17. Renzokuken

Renzokuken Saved

Zanarkand
    He needed his daily power trip over the other Photoshoppers.

18. Arkillo

THe progress shots look legit, I still have mad credit for him, and always will, unless he pulls like that one guy and shows usl ike 30 pieces stolen from some site.

Btw; Maybe he did start from his own sketch from that and just drew it a few times then started to paint it?

19. AxL

AxL Buggin' Out

Boston, Mass. USA.
    That is true, however even if MacMan stated he used a model to for painting the face, people would still say something "OMG You are the best".

So you have to wonder why exactly did he try to make himself look better by saying he did it from scratch? Did he say it to make himself better then he really is?

MacMan has always been a friend and I hope he still is, however you have to wonder what exactly was he trying to pull but claiming it was all his work?

This quote makes it seem he was trying to make himself look better then a lot of us here. When he more then likely did this whole thing in his basement away from society. Real smooth.

Lmao. STFU. :wavey

20. Korittke

Korittke Member!

The critical sections are the ones in brackets actually:
    "(no photograph, no model, all talent)"
    "(Eat your hearts out, nubs :) )"