And now for something completely different:

MacMan

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
For those of you who don’t like to read, I suggest slowly scrolling down to see the image. You’ll get a better effect that way.

This has been in the making for over ten months now. About a year ago I first started experimenting with brushwork in PS and Painter, some of you have seen my first image with the technique (and some of you have seen the progress shots to this). Any ways, I liked how I could blur and mix heavy streaks of opaque colors, so I began expanding on that.

This started as me just looking at people around me, and studying the lighting on them. I sketched a face of a random girl on paper (no photograph, no model, all talent) and played around FOREVER with her perspective and shading. After that, I booted up painter and did a very rough transfer of the image to digital, making sure I used big thick colors and little detail. I then began blurring tones to produce a spectrum I could then pick from. I would sample the color from an area of a blur, paint the area around it that color, and then continue blurring, until all I had left was the brushwork: no blurring. Her shoulder is the exact outcome I wanted (almost looks like she's molded out of clay), her cheek is too detailed, and the rest is the result of a rush to meet a deadline: not very nice looking (to me). (I did use poser a little to get a better idea of what the lighting “should†have looked like, but I’m certain the light around her lips is wrong.)

I wasn’t aiming for some “1337 a$$ $h17,†instead I was trying to create something I haven’t seen much of before (this is also an example that no one needs filters to look sweet as hell). The more I look at the finished product, the more I am repulsed and yet satisfied by it: the brushwork in some areas makes me instinctively say to myself “that looks ugly,†but when I look at it as a whole, it is absolutely more beautiful than I had imagined it would be. When you see it, look up close at all of the extremely visible streaks, then step back, and blur your eyes a little.

And with that, I present: Lumen
(Eat your hearts out, nubs :))

They should make a Forum Artist award: I really need 25 bucks ;)

DISCUSS!

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
That really does look like you edited a real photo...but if you said you didn't, I'll believe you. Only because I have seen some of your past work. That truley is amazing

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I like it, except one part. Her upper lip on the far right side looks like a tooth, or that its open, which totally ruins that part. Hell, I can't even stop staring at that part...other than that, it's beautiful, wish I could do that...

On a side note, did any of the chicks think it was weird that you would just randomly draw them? ;)

ShaftedTwice

Reaction score
Beautiful job man. I cant belive you did that from scratch and all that work! Excellent.

MacMan

Reaction score
That really does look like you edited a real photo...but if you said you didn't, I'll believe you. Only because I have seen some of your past work. That truley is amazing
Thanks. Getting the face and outline wasn't hard at all, it was the coloring and lighting that took so... damn... long. It got boring as hell after a while.

I like it, except one part. Her upper lip on the far right side looks like a tooth, or that its open, which totally ruins that part. Hell, I can't even stop staring at that part...other than that, it's beautiful, wish I could do that...

On a side note, did any of the chicks think it was weird that you would just randomly draw them?
Yeah, there are parts like the eyes and the lips, when I'm looking at them now, I just don't know if they look like they should.
It's not one individual, just a mush of different features from different people, so they aren't that creeped. Art is a bigger chick magnet than you might think ;)
schwing

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
OH...MY...GOD..

That is amazing, Mac.

You did a very good job on it, it's awesome.

Truely inpsiring. :)

cry0KiD

Member!
Reaction score
god ****ing damn !! words fail to describe this!! its just.. very very very nice! she is nice looking too :pPP

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Nice.

So you painted steaks of color and then just blurred them together? I had asked you about painting in PS before and you told me not to do that...

MacMan

Reaction score
In PS it works better by just using a hard airbrush and low opacity. I was using Painter, but couldn't figure out how to mimic PS, which didn't really matter. I blurred mostly to get the colors I needed, like blurring a skin tone and a white gives me all the shades in-between I need. All that's left on the end product is mostly brushwork (and blurred areas where I got lazy ;)).

pat

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
First time I've seen an image worth commenting on in awhile now. (here)

Anyway - I've kept my brushwork more in the "space art" category as of late, so I'm not inclined to note much more than the great lighting and realism. (IMO, but I doubt there are many people that would think otherwise)

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I probebly should have asked this earlier, but do you have a copy of that before you photoshoped it? You said you drew it by hand then played with it in photoshop right?

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
wow, i want ur ability and patience

IDefy

Reaction score
Text is too big but other than that nearly flawless.

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
make more make more

where did u learn all this stuff from?

DigitalElite

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
fishdynastyproducts.deviantART.com
that truely is amazing, I officially worship you...

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that image is just too aweing... I had a boner. I'm serious, that has to be the best art I've seen from an internet user in a very ****ing long time. Props Mac, you truely deserve the best artist on the board award.