What are the best 'upped' items?

Asthix

Reaction score
Just got into D2, found the upping recipe, so what's the best to up?

I've been having fun with an upped Razortine so far.

Blockinlick

Reaction score
[I am aware that this is an old thread, but I am going to answer it anyways for those who are also wondering the same thing.]

The two items most valuable when upped, as far as I know, are Arreats Face [Barbarian Helm] and Herald of Zakurum [Paladin Shield].

When Ethereal, Zod'd AND upped, these two items are virtually priceless on non-ladder. Let alone if their ED is perfect.

I have also heard rumors of older versions that were Zbugged back in the day to save their open socket [.08?, right?]. Zbug was an old exploit that allowed players to remove a Zod from an item and still retain it's "Indestructible" mod, therefor saving it's open socket for something better.

An Eth, Perfect ED, Upped, Zbugged HoZ or Arreats is pretty much a myth nowdays. Although they exist, they're prized by their owners who are but a few and you'll probably never feast your eyes on one.

Socketed items in general are good to up if they're "exceptional" rather than "elite". For instance, say you have a 4os Ornate Plate with 15% Ed. That could be better upped to a Sacred Armor. However, if you plan on using it, and your merc isn't above level 89, it's better off staying an Ornate or even just using a different armor in general such as a Dusk Shroud or Archon Plate. This is because a Sacred Armor requires over 200 strength and an ornate lacks defense when compared to DS and Archon.