Too many terran users in here :)

What race would you play if you were facing the Starcraft World Champion????

• Zerg

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Protoss

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Terran

• Random

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Gee, there is sure alot of terran players in here... i'm surprised :) Before these forums were up, I always thought that terran wasn't used much and was a n00bie race (and I sorta still think that... dont hold it against me, heh)... but now I see I was wrong (about it not being used much). But what im wondering is... How many people actually play terran as their MAIN RACE??? Meaning... what's your best race? This should be interesting... cause I still find it hard to beleive that terran is the #1 race. post your experiences with each race here also... and vote on the poll.

My main race has pretty much been zerg from the start. I played terran & protoss alot when I first started, but zerg is just too good to resist. I hope in SC2 that blizzard makes zerg weaker or something, cause they are too strong IMO.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
well i have to say id go with random. terran is my best. then zerg then toss. when i was a noob i went right for toss cause they were alien and were supposed to be the strongest. i got a 1-37 record my first month on bnet. i switched to zerg which didn;t help cause i only built one hatchery. then i moved to terran. this was the last year or so. i only got into meele when ums got so boring.so i practised with all three. found terran had the most interesting and usefull features and i stuck with em.

KerriganForever

Member!
Reaction score
Website
stores.andale.com
I am bias to Zerg and quite frankly impressed when someone says Zerg is their favorite. Most gamers i'v seen use Toss then terran. As a matter of fact 44% game Toss, 39% game Terran, and only 16% game Zerg. Toss and Terran are neck and neck, but Zerg gamers are rare...like a fine gemstone.

I think all us Zerg gamers should get together and have a friendly battle. I have excellent maps especially for Zerg, "pm" me and we could game them.

Ryu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes, Terran is my main race I play most. It's the race I'm best with also. If you didn't know Skuzzy, the top Starcraft player in the world (Lim Yo-Hwan) uses Terran.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Ryu
Yes, Terran is my main race I play most. It's the race I'm best with also. If you didn't know Skuzzy, the top Starcraft player in the world (Lim Yo-Hwan) uses Terran.
I haven't been following the whole world championships of starcraft. I'm pretty confident I could have beaten 99.9% of terrans (as zerg) in my prime... maybe I was just a c0cky mofo, or maybe I remember myself to be better than I was (doubtful, heh). I'd have played "Lim Yo-Hwan" back in the day if he wanted to go as zerg on any official blizzard/ladder map and I think I woulda beaten him. Anyways, I don't play melee anymore, but when SC2 comes out I will get back into the tournament scene and make a comeback and perhaps this time i'll participate in some live tournaments. I would have participated in some live tournaments back in 98/99 but I was too young to travel (only 15 back then) and there were never any large ones out here in canada (just lan parties). Oh well. When is SC2 gonna come out??? Those blizzard punks better move it.

Xel

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i dont think i could beat a newby in ladders so i dont think i could win againts anyone in the world championship

Payment

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I don't understand...

What makes zerg supperior to all other races. I mean yes they are good, but to me, it seems as if all races are pretty well balanced. But, I don't think that zerg massivly overpower all other races. Terran and Protoss aren't that bad...

Aris

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Payment
I don't understand...

What makes zerg supperior to all other races. I mean yes they are good, but to me, it seems as if all races are pretty well balanced. But, I don't think that zerg massivly overpower all other races. Terran and Protoss aren't that bad...
well first off the ling rush. 6 lings in your base and MABEY you will have 1-2 towers up and mabey 1 zeolot. thats if you play toss correctly. which most noobs dont.

then you get lurkers. which are like invisible reevers that you dont have to tech as hard to get. still cant believe how quickly you can get lurkers out. they are so devistating to initial ground troops. and other than ZvZ other teams wont have detectors to see them yet when you first get them.

then you have hydras. a great ground troop. quick, great range, can shoot ground and air.

and then you have the mighty guardians. longest range out of any unit in the whole game. and packs one of the largest punches.

and to top it all off zerg will usually get certain units before other races. like zerg will get muta's before toss get scouts or terrain get wraiths.

add that to the fact that zerg can build units really fast once you get a few hatches up. and they are a formidable opponent.. only thing with them though is theirs not alot of room for error.. if you dont keep up with techs and builds you can easily get behind.

toss and terrain give you a little more of a buffer as far as getting all the timmings down correctly n such.

shrimpshark

Member!
Reaction score
i am the best with zerg

i can have mutas in 7.5 min and gards in 9 mins

shrimpshark

Member!
Reaction score
hmmm

we shall see who is better be on bw west channel shrimp at 9:00 central

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
I entered this site through a link and i see that there are not many skilled players here... I dont consider myself gosu, but anyone actually beliving that he can beat 99,99% of the terran players in the world must be a newb or a potential world champion :rolleyes:

Lim-Yo Hwan is one the best player in the world, there is no way you can beat him, ill bet my life on it! These are proffecional players. You may not know, but computer games (mainly starcraft) is a sport in Korea. These players have sponsors, they play tours live on TV, they make hundreds of thousands of dollars playing starcraft. This guy practices 10 to 15 hours a day to remain one of the best, and he only plays against the best. I seriously doubt you take this game that seriously...

And for the terran/zerg/protoss question, all races in BW are perfectly balanced. There is no "best" race. Every tech can be countered. It all depends on the skill level of the players and the map they are playing on.

well first off the ling rush. 6 lings in your base and MABEY you will have 1-2 towers up and mabey 1 zeolot. thats if you play toss correctly. which most noobs dont.
There is absolutely no way you will get 2 cannons by the time a zerg has 6 lings in your base. However, a good toss player will build gates on 9 & 10, and have a zealot or 2 ready by the time the lings arrive. 6 lings will be able to kill 1 or 2 lots if microed properly, but if the toss blocks his ramp with the zealots and a probe (if this is lost temple or another non-money map with cliffs or chokes) the lings wont get into the base and the zerg player will probarbly be killed because the toss player will have a much stronger echonomy. Terrans can stop rushes with 2 SCVs blocking the ramp and a marine or 2 behind. The lings will go after the marine because he is attacking them, and they wont be able to get through. Any good player will scout the zerg and see that he is rushing.

then you get lurkers. which are like invisible reevers that you dont have to tech as hard to get. still cant believe how quickly you can get lurkers out. they are so devistating to initial ground troops. and other than ZvZ other teams wont have detectors to see them yet when you first get them.
Lurkers can be summoned very fast, that is true. However, it takes time and costs a lot. You will have to either do a 1 hatch ling-lurk strategy or a bit slower but more echonomical fast exp and then on to hydra-lurk. No matter how fast you do it, it still requires tech to lair and then lurker research, and by the time you have lurkers a terran will have a comsat station and a protoss will have observers (most players tech to observers right after they get 2 gateways)

then you have hydras. a great ground troop. quick, great range, can shoot ground and air.
Anyone knows that marines with stim packs + medics or high templars with psionic storm waste masses of hydras. You have to mix hydras and lurkers and controll them properly, you cant win only using mass hydras.

and then you have the mighty guardians. longest range out of any unit in the whole game. and packs one of the largest punches.
As every other unit in the game, guardians can be countered. Guardians are very expensive, a zerg player wont make guardians until he has at least 2 or 3 expansions and the game has entered late game. Guardians also have to be cliffed (placed over a cliff so they are harder to reach) to be of any real use. They are very good to kill expansions with, because they have very long range and a really good attack, but you cant win a game with a guardian rush. Science vessels with irradiate or valkyries kill guardians, so u have to use them together with hydras and scourges. Protoss has corssair and high templars, so most players wont make guardians in ZvP unless the toss has an island expansion or something.

and to top it all off zerg will usually get certain units before other races. like zerg will get muta's before toss get scouts or terrain get wraiths.
Mutas are not meant to face other air units. A terran can get wraiths just as fast as a zerg can get mutas, but it requires a lot of defending and u lose echonomy. Wraiths are only used for hunting overlords in early game to cut off zerg supply, kill off carriers in late game, or for strategical strikes against terran.

Mutas however, are used to kill the enemy's echonomy and to annoy him. Most players go muta-ling in ZvZ. You fly in, kill the enemy's drones or SCVs (mutas suck in ZvP because of corsairs and archons) and retreat when the enemy's units arrive. This way you keep the enemy down echomicaly while you make expansions all over the map and make more units than him.

Scouts are only used against carriers or battlecruisers in late game on island maps.

add that to the fact that zerg can build units really fast once you get a few hatches up. and they are a formidable opponent.. only thing with them though is theirs not alot of room for error.. if you dont keep up with techs and builds you can easily get behind.
The zerg play style is very different from the terrans and the protoss. A zerg will strike early to keep his opponent down, then he will expand much more than the enemy and get much more money than his enemy and pump units from many expansions. It may seem as if the other races har more room for errors, but when two highly skilled players are facing each other, there is not room for a single mistake. Once, Grrrr... (a proffecional gamer in korea) forgot to make a pylon, which lost him 20 seconds and he therefore lost the game. This may seem like just a game for you but these ppl play starcraft for a living.

i can have mutas in 7.5 min and gards in 9 mins
By that time i would have 3 barracks pumping marines and medics to kill your mutas, i would have an expansion getting me extra minerals and gas, and i would have science vessels to detect lurkers. A guardian rush is way too expensive, i would have killed your echonomy long before, and you wouldn't have enough gas.

i haven't timed myself, but i'd say i can beat that using protoss... cannons, goons, and i can get reavers for a newb style reaver drop in under 8 mins
A reaver drop is not "newb style". Reavers do a lot of damage and they have splash damage. In PvP, most players get reavers and try to drop them in the enemy's peon line and kill off as many probes as possible. Then they will load them back into the shuttle when the enemy's forces arrive, and keep dropping around the base while he techs, gets many goons and more reavers, and takes expansions. This is very annoying, and very effective.

What makes starcraft: broodwar so great is that all the races are perfectly balanced. Every unit in the game has a counter, and every unit in the game has to be used to win. This is why i still play BW, and this is why it has become a sport in korea.

If u want to download replays i recommend www.broodwar.co.yu/replays. The players there are mainly proffecional gamers.