This deserves its own thread - Making me a ****ing mod.

Teddy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
roach i added you to my friends list

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
thread got a lot funnier after gimmi pissed jd off. good rally everyone.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Apparently it doesn't take so much anymore.

I seemed to be a lot more calm when I was on copious amounts of illegal drugs. Gotta love being clean.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie: a lot of the posts in this thread bored me.

I'm around and come in every once in a while to browse. It's more difficlut when all the new posts are "blizzard posts"

But yeah you want my help you can ask for it. And I can jump in more frequently

And no, I'm not douchey anymore. I swear <3

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Shucks, that would be the Pan I've missed :(

Welcome aboard sir! Perhaps we should make a social group over this /wrists

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Bee Tee Dubya

I play a bunch with Theory on Starcraft II. Should ask him if he still hates you.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I would just be happy knowing WHY he hates me. I mean, I'm fully aware that I'm a pompous narcissistic asshole with an ego the size of China, but really. I was always nice to him.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Ni hao.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd like this to get some attention... I hope you guys still have some passion to bring this site back. I definitely have a passion for the forums even though I was mostly a lurker back in the day. But I want it to become something great again.

And I agree, forums aren't what they used to be. I willing be thoroughly optimizing the system to bring it more up to date as far as user flow and SEO but I want to adjust the code a lot too for a different user experience (think reddit/ IGN).

KOLOSSAL

Hi Friends
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I guess I'll get serious for a second and post my 2 cents since these forums do still mean a great deal to me.

The reason I always loved this forum was because of the community. You recognized nearly every name and if there was a name you didn't recognize... hey look a new guy. I felt like I was making a difference in the Battleforum community just by simply posting and interacting in the threads. In hindsight I realize a lot of it didn't matter, but at the time it felt so important. I know many of you understand what I felt and this is what we need to bring back.

I have complete faith in Roach and JD, as they've done an outstanding job in the past. However, I have a couple of ideas I just want you to put some thought into. For starters, I don't know how you could possibly keep these forums alive if you took most of the gaming aspect out of it. As someone stated earlier in the thread, a lot of what kept BF alive in the earlier days just won't work now. For instance, being goofy in chit chat just for fun's sake died off years ago. People get that kind of entertainment from online games and official game forums now more than ever. Don't get me wrong, I understand that behavior still happens over here, but not anywhere near the way it used to be, simply because of the reasons above.

Now enough with the gloom and on to a couple ideas. First and foremost, I think it would be a giant step in the right direction for Battleforums to reforge itself into an "active community", meaning members are encouraged to participate in events or hell, a clan. What better way to stimulate this already "gaming" forum than to create its own clan genre for certain games that in return, reward members for playing and participating (ranks, medals, etc...)? For instance, WarriorNation.net is a website that has thrived and been around as long as BF has. They run a very serious clan based site for pretty much any popular game you can think of, AND they have a huge following due to their way of promoting and rewarding active and skilled players. Take a look for yourself Medals July '11! As far as getting the whole thing started, I guarantee you the active memberbase that BF currently has is more than enough to get a couple clans going for popular games (LoL, SC2, etc...)

Another suggestion I'm throwing out there would be something I think Roach was more pessimistic about in an earlier post, which is keeping up to date with news on certain video games. I'm sure there are people out there willing to take a couple hours out of their week to write their thoughts on a video game they are passionate about. I myself have been an avid WoW player since the game was released, have experienced all PvE content and been rank 1 in arenas. Writing my thoughts about the current state of that specific game once or twice a week would be nothing to me, and I'm just one person in this huge community. Hell, anyone could be a writer, and if a lot of people start to like a certain person's opinions, they'll attract a greater following, which generates more hits, more community, more interaction and belonging.

Give it some thought. I would love to discuss this further and give more thought to these ideas and possibly new ones if anyone has found what I've said to be relevant and worthwhile.

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll get serious for a second and post my 2 cents since these forums do still mean a great deal to me.

The reason I always loved this forum was because of the community. You recognized nearly every name and if there was a name you didn't recognize... hey look a new guy. I felt like I was making a difference in the Battleforum community just by simply posting and interacting in the threads. In hindsight I realize a lot of it didn't matter, but at the time it felt so important. I know many of you understand what I felt and this is what we need to bring back.

I have complete faith in Roach and JD, as they've done an outstanding job in the past. However, I have a couple of ideas I just want you to put some thought into. For starters, I don't know how you could possibly keep these forums alive if you took most of the gaming aspect out of it. As someone stated earlier in the thread, a lot of what kept BF alive in the earlier days just won't work now. For instance, being goofy in chit chat just for fun's sake died off years ago. People get that kind of entertainment from online games and official game forums now more than ever. Don't get me wrong, I understand that behavior still happens over here, but not anywhere near the way it used to be, simply because of the reasons above.

Now enough with the gloom and on to a couple ideas. First and foremost, I think it would be a giant step in the right direction for Battleforums to reforge itself into an "active community", meaning members are encouraged to participate in events or hell, a clan. What better way to stimulate this already "gaming" forum than to create its own clan genre for certain games that in return, reward members for playing and participating (ranks, medals, etc...)? For instance, WarriorNation.net is a website that has thrived and been around as long as BF has. They run a very serious clan based site for pretty much any popular game you can think of, AND they have a huge following due to their way of promoting and rewarding active and skilled players. Take a look for yourself Medals July '11! As far as getting the whole thing started, I guarantee you the active memberbase that BF currently has is more than enough to get a couple clans going for popular games (LoL, SC2, etc...)

Another suggestion I'm throwing out there would be something I think Roach was more pessimistic about in an earlier post, which is keeping up to date with news on certain video games. I'm sure there are people out there willing to take a couple hours out of their week to write their thoughts on a video game they are passionate about. I myself have been an avid WoW player since the game was released, have experienced all PvE content and been rank 1 in arenas. Writing my thoughts about the current state of that specific game once or twice a week would be nothing to me, and I'm just one person in this huge community. Hell, anyone could be a writer, and if a lot of people start to like a certain person's opinions, they'll attract a greater following, which generates more hits, more community, more interaction and belonging.

Give it some thought. I would love to discuss this further and give more thought to these ideas and possibly new ones if anyone has found what I've said to be relevant and worthwhile.
These are really good ideas. Any help you could provide (especially with writing news articles) would be greatly appreciated.

Also LoL? :/ I play HoN but its starting to get pretty lame.

KOLOSSAL

Hi Friends
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
These are really good ideas. Any help you could provide (especially with writing news articles) would be greatly appreciated.

Also LoL? :/ I play HoN but its starting to get pretty lame.
The reason I mentioned LoL over HoN is because it is undoubtedly the most popular of all the DotAesque games, hence why they are able to host $100,000 tournaments. I believe this is due to HoN's pay to play approach as opposed to LoL's free and slow/casual friendly gameplay... but of course we can rope HoN in with what I am talking about. The sky is the limit in that aspect.

I'll start brainstorming on how to approach the news articles.

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah HoN actually just switched to F2P and most are not happy about it. It's whatever I guess. I'm not really that invested...just something to do when I'm bored.

Can't wait to see some great articles.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm very supportive of gaming news and getting a lot of passionate writers to cover each game and each subcategory within.

I also like the thought of getting several good clans together. We will poll the memberbase in our welcome-back message to find out what games they play to start clans for.

Aside from forums for each clan, what features can/ should we offer to capture clans outside our own community? Teamspeak servers and other expensive, ongoing resources aren't very viable at this time. But I do know that we can set up small teamspeak servers (or a software like that) on our own computers and host them. >>We really need some different cool features to attract and keep these clans. At the same time I think that we have to know we won't be getting 100,000 new members in one month so we can't spend $10,000 on programming to make something wildly new... unless there are some programmers here that would be interested in doing that