This deserves its own thread - Making me a ****ing mod.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
I posted this in Joe's thread:

My god, Joe, how I've missed you.

Anyone remember BFNet? The forum we created to compete with BF back when it was screwed to the point of almost no redemption thanks to ChrisUK? You know, the one that boomed to a pretty respectable status in a matter of weeks only for us to giggle, tear it down, and e-hump BF once again and give it another shot that lasted another 5 years? Do we need to do that again?

While I don't think it would be helpful in the slightest (especially considering the majority of us old loyal members stay for the community, not for the blizz games), after watching this place slip further and further into obscurity, I'm almost wishing there were a general forum that us ol' timers could go to and actually post like old times. This place just isn't it anymore. I've tried a hundred times over in the past 6 months to come here and feel that spark I used to feel everytime I log in, and it's just not there. We don't have the staff, nor the members that we used to to make this community just so addicting. I STILL to this day boast and brag about being a previous administrator / global moderator for this community, but I'm almost ashamed anymore to release the URL because of what it has become.

If anyone is interested in orchestrating a revival with me (I'm not insinuating opening up a new forum like we did with BFNet, it was merely a joke), feel free to PM me and I'll try and either set up a meeting via AIM or I'll personally host an online chat just so we can get together, bull**** like old times, and discuss a serious plan and proposition of which DirtyDog simply cannot refuse.
It got me thinking a bit, and navigating throughout the forums at a lot of things. I don't know why it always has to be me to be the motivational speaker throughout the history of BF, but I suppose it's my time, yet again *shoots self*.

Joe, these disputes you're having with DirtyDog aren't going to accomplish anything more than just further frustration from...well...both of you. Belittling him isn't going to get you back on staff (unless DirtyDog's self-esteem is lower than I thought) which isn't doing any of us any good.

A lot of us previous staff members could easily make this place worth visiting from time to time again, we could easily make it fun again for all of us if we put forth the effort. I'm not telling anyone to try because I sure as hell ain't. What I'm saying is that it is possible.

I have a lot of ideas for this place in my head that I have no interest in discussing with DirtyDog, not because I don't trust him, or because I don't want this website to turn back around, and especially not because of respect or lack thereof because honestly I still haven't formed a full opinion of him. I don't want to discuss my ideas with him because as much as he might believe he does, he does not have the passion for this forum that we have shown in the past. He never will.

That's not anything against him, but I'm sure former staff members such as Joe, Tronga, Sean (Cort), Amantis, and several others could agree with me when I say I've poured blood, sweat, and tears into this site for nearly a decade and even though I'm a grown man right now I still enjoy the way we cut up as children on these forums. I remember getting up in the middle of the night with phone calls because of attacks on the forums, or being on the phone with Sean for long periods of time discussing what we needed to do to improve (3 ways with Sean and Joe were the best!). I remember creating AIM chat rooms and discussing problematic users and how we should address it as a team, discussing promotions, everything. There was a time we were a fine tuned machine.

Blizzard isn't dead, so why are we? Consistent ownership changes? I'd like to think not. If we can survive ChrisUK's poor server management, those silly Chinese kids approach to making BF a financial boomtown, and Eric being...Eric, DirtyDog isn't a threat. If anything, he COULD be the owner we've been needing as at least he LIKES the subject matter we originally gathered for.

Personally, I could care less for Blizzard games anymore as I've stated numerous times in the past. I look forward to D3 but that's it. What I care about is the community. I'm only going to make one more stand before the only contact you can look forward to seeing from me is via AIM, and that is to encourage those of you who still care to organize with me. Like I said, I have ideas for days, and I know some of you do to, but I have no interest in presenting them with our new owner until they are fine tuned and it is discussed with all of you. As a team.

I'm not welcoming just previous staff members to join me, but anyone who has been through the best and worst that BF has to offer and truly cares if this place sucks or not.

PS - Theroy, if you are reading this and still hate me for god only knows why, just know that I still :heart: you.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
That's all very well said sir, and I essentially agree with you -- but while you certainly have been a bit of a motivation for battleforums, I feel I too, have had my share of motivational outbursts (usually in the form of essay long threads and posts) :p.

As for DirtyDog, I have no (and never have had) any problems with him -- truthfully, I know nothing about him, but lately I've become a bit frustrated, as I've offered my help numerous times, and have yet to receive a response. You'd think if he was serious about these forums, and truly wanted some sort of help, he'd take five minutes out of his day to reply back to my PM's..

..but like you said, arguing is pointless, and that isn't my intention. I'd just love to help get things back on track, and I'll definitely take part in your meeting. Despite the fact that this forum is deader than dead, I haven't given up, and as long as it exists on the internet, I probably never will (whether that's sad or not, is another story).

Just throwing this out there..but I think the real issue here is, that DD knows very little of us, and probably has no concept of what we (all of us) have put into this place. While some may not have agreed with my every action, I truly did spend countless hours, for literally years, working on this place, brainstorming ideas, etc. I was (and still am) emotionally invested to battleforums, and while it may seem like *just* a forum to some, for me it was much more. Even though it may seem stupid, it actually did effect my real life, and I spent a lot of time worrying about its fate/trying to make the right decisions. So sure, I may have made some mistakes, but my intentions were always for the best.

Anyway, I think you said it perfectly: DirtyDog lacks the passion. I think for him, this is just a side-project of sorts, so perhaps he simply doesn't get where I (or you) are coming from, but like I said, even though this place is a bit of a ghost town, I STILL have the desire to see it flourish. I have the passion to help.

So yeah..you know I care for this place, and I know you do as well..so lets do something. I also invite DirtyDog to PM me on here or aim. Perhaps if you get to know me, you'll understand where I'm coming from.

-Joe

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
While the two of us alone might be enough to tickle the subject, there are a few others Id like to hear from on the matter before I press on.

DirtyDog, count your blessings. With me and Joe, you might find more help than you can handle.

DirtyDog

Reaction score
I've tried PMing DD about buying the site back off him. Nice that he completely ignored it.
Well that's two of you PMing me that I'm not receiving??

Send me some now to test please?

Last PM I received from coRt was on 07-10-2010

I also PMd RoaCh today - did you receive that? Send me a response so I know it's working.

DirtyDog

Reaction score
In general response to this thread, you are quire right - I have another full time commitment but retain a personal interest in this site and the subject matter, I don't like to see it suffer. When we purchased the site it was fairly self sufficient, which was one of it's attractions. I cannot do this alone and since Tyrael & Aurora disappeared the plans have stalled.

I'm totally open to your suggestions even if you want to sort them out off-line between you and come back to me later. I have no reason to stand in the way of a reasonable plan to get this place up and running again so give it your best shot.

DD :heart:

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
The primary reason I'm wanting to do this with you excluded is so we can get all of our ducks in a row so to speak so that we don't waste any time. I actually support you being the owner, because unlike pretty much every owner aside from CrookedFoot we've had in the past, you are interested in seeing us succeed as a forum, not necessarily as a cash cow (not saying money isn't a BEAUTIFUL thing).

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
That's not anything against him, but I'm sure former staff members such as Joe, Tronga, Sean (Cort), Amantis, and several others could agree with me when I say I've poured blood, sweat, and tears into this site for nearly a decade and even though I'm a grown man right now I still enjoy the way we cut up as children on these forums. I remember getting up in the middle of the night with phone calls because of attacks on the forums, or being on the phone with Sean for long periods of time discussing what we needed to do to improve (3 ways with Sean and Joe were the best!). I remember creating AIM chat rooms and discussing problematic users and how we should address it as a team, discussing promotions, everything. There was a time we were a fine tuned machine.
I doubt I ever put as much effort into this site as you. Probably treated it more like an opportunity to take advantage of than any kind of responsibility, even when I was in a position of responsibility. Regardless, I know what you're talking about and I remember these long conversations usually with cort or galatia and I remember actually becoming stressed over problems with this site, but I dealt with it for the same reasons I'm sure you did, because I enjoyed posting here, and I thought it would help this site continue to prosper. But it didn't.
Blizzard isn't dead, so why are we?
That's the real question, and the answer is why I don't really give a **** to help this place anymore.

Blizzard being dead has nothing to do with us dying. When we joined here, forums like this were one of the only sources for up to date information on the games we were playing. That's simply not the case anymore. This place has just become outdated. There's nothing else to it. The fact that we have a dedicated section for the blizzard twitter feed and "blue posts" is just an admission of that: "Hey look everyone! We're the middle-man!" How the **** we've managed to con anyone to join this forum in years is beyond me. I mean, look at the join dates on our active members. Our user base is here because they joined at a time when this was the most viable option and they stayed out of boredom/loyalty/etc whatever the reason it's not a way to attract new members and pretending that you can remain viable when the entire foundation of online communication has changed is just naive. I'm not blaming anyone. If you could have predicted this, you probably wouldn't have been wasting your time and efforts on a medium that was doomed to be outdated in a few short years.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll all continue posting here as long as whoever continues paying the server bills, but don't pretend that there's any way that we're headed for another golden age.

RoaCh of DisCord

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well that's two of you PMing me that I'm not receiving??

Send me some now to test please?

Last PM I received from coRt was on 07-10-2010

I also PMd RoaCh today - did you receive that? Send me a response so I know it's working.

Yeah, that's weird! I've PM'd you about 4 times overall, and never received any sort of response. I figured you were just ignoring me, hence my more negative attitude toward you. Anyway, I just received your PM. I'm reading it now :O

-edit, DD, I've replied back. Thanks for sending me a message. I had no idea you weren't getting any of my previous ones. Let me know if you get *this* one.

Joe.

DirtyDog

Reaction score
Yeah, that's weird! I've PM'd you about 4 times overall, and never received any sort of response. I figured you were just ignoring me, hence my more negative attitude toward you. Anyway, I just received your PM. I'm reading it now :O

-edit, DD, I've replied back. Thanks for sending me a message. I had no idea you weren't getting any of my previous ones. Let me know if you get *this* one.

Joe.
OK. Houston we have a problem! last PM I received was on 09-04-2010 from deadlocked. I'll have to investigate...

:out:

OK - found the problem - duplicate username as of 09-04-2010!! bastards! Any PMs after that date I haven't received - sorry!!

DD

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Hiya Celbad!

Forums aren't anything that is going to end soon. People 8 years ago didn't join us for second hand information either, they joined for the community and our wealth of knowledge. This forum will never be the way it was in 2003, but it doesn't HAVE to be like this either. Are you with us? Crot-pants, are you with us?

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
That explains a lot, Mr dog. I sent you a pm a few months ago trying to get something like this going. Nearly half a year is a long time to have a bug like that.

DirtyDog

Reaction score
That explains a lot, Mr dog. I sent you a pm a few months ago trying to get something like this going. Nearly half a year is a long time to have a bug like that.
yeah rookie error - I thought you were all just avoiding me!

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Maybe the entire forum model isn't dead, but if the internet had been what it is today back in '03 I never would have joined this place and I doubt most of our active members would have either.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
The internet isn't any better or worse, just different. We have to adapt.

Octopor

your whole family is made of meat
Reaction score
forums are offered as bonuses, not main attractions

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
I have a lot of ideas for this place in my head that I have no interest in discussing with DirtyDog, not because I don't trust him, or because I don't want this website to turn back around, and especially not because of respect or lack thereof because honestly I still haven't formed a full opinion of him. I don't want to discuss my ideas with him because as much as he might believe he does, he does not have the passion for this forum that we have shown in the past. He never will.

I almost had to stop reading at this point. Being thoughtful before making a decision :umm:, you on the wrong internets bro.
Blizzard isn't dead, so why are we? Consistent ownership changes? I'd like to think not. If we can survive ChrisUK's poor server management, those silly Chinese kids approach to making BF a financial boomtown, and Eric being...Eric, DirtyDog isn't a threat. If anything, he COULD be the owner we've been needing as at least he LIKES the subject matter we originally gathered for.
He certainly could be the medium that gets us there, but by no means is he the mule we're going to ride on the way.
Still ISO that mule btw.