The Metal Thread

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Hey I know we have some metal heads in the forum. So I was wondering what everyone listens to. I've been listening to "Kill 'Em All" by Metallica. It's there first album and is completely different from all there other albums and is a lot more speed/thrash metal like.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Mostly European Symphonic/power metal currently. Some Celtic/viking metal too.

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Symphonic, Progressive, Tech/Extreme, and 70's/80's metal mostly. Stuff like Nightwish, Pain Of Salvation, Opeth, and Iron Maiden, respectively.

I try to stay away from Thrash metal and Black/Death metal as much as possible.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Thrash and Black/Death actually have some pretty distinct differences. Mostly is vocals. I really dislike the vocal style of Black/Death and while the screaming/grunting is present in some Thrash metal bands there is plenty of actual singing too.

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
That's why I separated the two as I listed them... I'm not really a fan of either, unless it's tech-death in which case the musicianship makes up for the "singing", if you can call it that.

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
tech death wtf............... right now im listening to seasons in the abyss is a goods album if u like thrash metal i love it

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Tech-death would be stuff like Opeth (certain albums), Atheist, Arcturus, Spiral Architect, etc. Basically "tech" refers to music being extremely technical... demanding to play. Complex time signatures, instrumentation, mathematical patterns throughout songs. In the case of tech metal they often end up belonging to one of the other sub-genres, whether prog, death/black, thrash, symphonic, etc.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Weezer = furthest thing from metal.

I still listen to classic metal, like Zeppelin, Sabbath etc. And I still love new/old metal, just hte European Power Metal just does it for me so well.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Thrash and Black/Death actually have some pretty distinct differences. Mostly is vocals. I really dislike the vocal style of Black/Death and while the screaming/grunting is present in some Thrash metal bands there is plenty of actual singing too.
Singing =/= Metal

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't know what to make out of that comment. Some metal bands are formed a lot around having someone that knows how to sing. Such as Nightwish with their old singer or Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson. And if you say Bruce Dickinson can't sing... well thats just silly.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Yeah... I don't know what to make out of that comment. Some metal bands are formed a lot around having someone that knows how to sing. Such as Nightwish with their old singer or Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson. And if you say Bruce Dickinson can't sing... well thats just silly.
I won't say it, but I'm thinking it. I'm thinking it real hard.

DoomedSoul

Ur local Wc3 Emo
Reaction score
well ive been listenin to alot of Cradle of Filth... but Bury Your Dead is also a awesome band

DoomedSoul

Ur local Wc3 Emo
Reaction score
thats ur opinon... i mean Bury Your Dead is not scremo is not emo its not punk its not black metal... its like a cross between Amon Amarth and Bullet (bullet for my valentine) and nether of those are really really emo...well maybe bullet

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Bullet is definitely Emo, Bury Your Dead could be called metalcore at best, which still isn't metal. This thread is about actual metal bands, not emo trash.

DoomedSoul

Ur local Wc3 Emo
Reaction score
Bullet is definitely Emo, Bury Your Dead could be called metalcore at best, which still isn't metal. This thread is about actual metal bands, not emo trash.
EMO TRASH???!!! iam offended by ur ignorance :(:beatdeadhorse5:

and i must say that i listen to more metal the i do emo

and iam sure if u r going by lyrics u could consider Slipknot Non-point and Soulfly emo...

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Seeing as "emo" technically refers to "emotional" the lyrics do indeed play a part, usually some crap about little brats who have lost their girlfriends or given up on society so they're going to cut themselves. Set to a standard set of guitar riffs that have been used in every "emo" band since the 90's, and sung in the characteristic whiney voice, unless screamo, where some screaming is thrown in for good measure.

As for listening to more metal than emo, your favourite artist thread, sig, and other posts say otherwise... especially if you can't distinguish between metal and hardcore.