The BW AA Units

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Phoenix2003 said:
meh, i'd rather mix sairs wit' carrs. Not to go off topic, but I don't think I would ever make scouts unless I'm messing around.
If you're on an island map, a team of Corsairs mixed with Scouts (Around 4-5 Corsairs, 5-6 Scouts) and some Observers, you can take out almost any air army.

And you need Scouts to take out Devourers, unless you have lots of Psi-Storm and/or a fair amount of Dragoons (Devs usually accompany Guardians so Guards will rape Dragoons).

Carriers are better for base-raids and harassing because of their range, and it's not advised to get Carriers in PvZ.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well. since very few z's get devs(there's no reason to get them), I once again see no reason to bother with scouts. Let's say zerg decides to make devs. Do you really think that they won't be accompanied with mutas making your scouts usless?

As for the carr comment, everything scouts can do, carrs/sairs does better with FEW exceptions(I just can't think of any right now). right, not against z.(except on island maps)

dev/muta is only to counter capital ships, which nobody gets against z. and scouts suck against dev/muta. In a straight fight, yes, scouts will win, but zerg will almost always get mutas to back his devs.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
wraiths? what about them? 6 sairs will totally cream 12+ wraiths. It should be illegal how badly sairs own them. scouts marginally beat wraiths.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Phoenix2003 said:
Well. since very few z's get devs(there's no reason to get them), I once again see no reason to bother with scouts. Let's say zerg decides to make devs. Do you really think that they won't be accompanied with mutas making your scouts usless?
Most of the time when i'm vsing Zerg players, IF they go Guards, they will get Devs and a few Mutalisks. And Scouts rape Muta's too, especially with your Corsair backup. I actually find that Zergers do go Dev/Guard alot, except for good Zerg players, which i haven't honestly found many of.

Phoenix2003 said:
As for the carr comment, everything scouts can do, carrs/sairs does better with FEW exceptions(I just can't think of any right now). right, not against z.(except on island maps)
I agree with you there.

Phoenix2003 said:
dev/muta is only to counter capital ships, which nobody gets against z. and scouts suck against dev/muta. In a straight fight, yes, scouts will win, but zerg will almost always get mutas to back his devs.
That's why you get Corsairs. The Corsairs handle the Muta's while the Scouts handle the Devourers. I never get Scouts without Corsairs.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
toss has lots of AA,mainly because all their units have high attack dmg

Ht's poon most air

Goons are decent vd air

sairs...well,they are just good

scouts are decent but cost too much

carriers just poon mostly anything

Da's poon zerg air

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Phoenix2003 said:
dev/muta is only to counter capital ships
It's true hydralisks are a lot better versing non-capital ships, but they are not as fast as dev/muta, which may be important. I think they are good versus non-capital, IF you throw some ensnare as well.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I thought you knew what meant when I said what I said. That's the only time I see devs/muta used when thrown at capitals. I know they're good for non-capitals. for small numbers of sairs, z's make scourge or muta/scourge. vs larger number of sairs, then hydys or dev/muta(late game). Just to name a few examples.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Phoenix2003 said:
I thought you knew what meant when I said what I said. That's the only time I see devs/muta used when thrown at capitals. I know they're good for non-capitals. for small numbers of sairs, z's make scourge or muta/scourge. vs larger number of sairs, then hydys or dev/muta(late game). Just to name a few examples.
Well, yes, of course, but that depends of the type of non-capital you are talking about. Splash or non-splash. Muta/dev's good against both, but they get owned with larger numbers of splash ships.

And, ranzo, an important fact is that you may not be able to arrive in time to the place using Hydra/Swarm. For example, in LT. You got your hydras in front of the base, in the lower ground, so you can protect base & expo (I'd assume you already had expoed by then :p). Then you got a mass Guardian (or mass wraiths :p) attack in the other side. Hydras may not get there on time, and the defiler may get stuck in the confusion it is to get up the ramp. So, you got muta/dev to defeat that.

And I'm not even going to say how important scouting is to do it ;)

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Renzokuken said:
I'd get Hydras over Devs anyday. Cheaper and can poon any air under dark swarm.
It's funny, someone could quickly use your favorite spell, Psionic Storm, to fry any of those pesky clouded Hydralisks. :D

Persnoally, Muta/Devourer is a great air combination, atleast to me. Now,w e all know that Mutalisks have a much lower attack power then Wraiths and Scouts versus air, 9, to a Wraith's 20, and I seem to hav4e forgotton how much a Scout does, but it's a lot more then both I'm sure. Splash does not totally make up for this lack of attack power, in my opinion. Now, Devourers can change that, on a logical scale, if you will. The spores can seriously put a cramp on large groups of air units. Wraiths are unclaoked by spores, correct? 9 Damamge with spores, is a lot more then you might think; perhaps even 20 damage, then count in 3 groups of Mutalisks, and all splash each. Let's use 20 damage as a small but decent example. It splits by half each time, so 20 damage (With spores) on a Wraith, then it bounces to another Wraiths, 10, and then another, 5 damage. However, there's about 36 Mutalisks doing this, making the combo very deadly to non-splash ships, like Scouts, Wraiths, Battlecruisers, and if you can Micro well, you can put a dent in Carriers too. Although not adviseable against splash ships, it could work, but expect to take more damange then you usually would. Yes, I don't know how much spores increae Mutalisk damange, and my estimate above is probably wrong, but it was merely an example on that combo, which is my favorite.

Static

Premium Member
Reaction score
But who ever gets 36 mutas in a real game. If and when it could happen is in a FFA and he would have to never of been attacked. Because even with base defense it would cut low on the dmg and kill some.

Lig a guing gligga gigga googa gwey oh go.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Because I dropped. I had muta/dev/ensnare, and had hydra/swarm in my base. Was making a couple of guardians, and it was all I needed (in my mind, at least, as I was already forming a plan :)).

You saw how 6 devs, 12 mutas and one ensnare almost owned your 48 mutas :)

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Exactly. That proves that my previous post is correct, even though I was losing. But I still could have won that match I think, I had a lot of resources that game, enough to pump out a second wave of 48 or a variation of Guard/Dev/Muta. :D

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, I already had 6 guardians, and a ready nydus canal. If you allowed me to destroy a couple of your sunken colonies, and if I was able to guard it, you'd be death, because then I'd send 2 groups of hydras under intense dark swarm over your base :D

You can't just go air in this game, mate ;)

But you still had more chances of winning it, of course. I wasn't counting with you, was playing vs coRt more than anyone else, so, yeah ;)

Surprise is always a huge factor :D