• Total voters

Rushton

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.bladestorm.org
Wow I had no idea people felt like this about both Wars and Trek

I think they're both good in their own ways

I think its near impossible to argue with how good the first (last) 3 Star Wars movies, but you've gotta realise they're almost completely different to Star Trek (and I'm not talking about the shit movies). Star Wars is adventure set in a loose and not very idealistic sci fi universe. Its more realistic, which is fine, its just different. Now, you have to admit, Star Wars 1 and 2 sucked the **** almost entirely apart from a few good scenes.

Star Trek is completely different. Almost no one who watches it properly watches it purely for *adventure* as we all know people who are looking for adventure consider it BORING.

Star Trek is for thinkers. Its generally for people who would actually read a book, god forbid, even if they weren't forced to. Yes a lot of the time, the acting is shit, sometimes even the plots are gay, but there are some really good episodes I'd recommend.

Now I mainly watched Voyager, and episodes like Renaissance Man, Blink of an Eye, and Message in a Bottle are seriously just plain awesome, which I'd hope most Star Wars fans would even tolerate.

Skeleton Kni

Member!
Reaction score
Website
clanMtF.cjb.net
Star trek is so unbelievably boring! Their graphics are so cheap and pathetic it makes me sick! The actors all suck! and their is only a few different kinds of aliens. And all they all are is humans that have a few extra bumps on their face. Jedi, and bounty hunters and all that stuff is so much cooler than an extremely large ship travelying the galaxy. Star trek is so stupid!

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I have to go, in Sci-Fi, this order:

1) Star Trek
2) Stargate (movie and SG1)
3) Invisible Man and Farscape
4) Star Wars
5) brain exploding...

Seriously, it's hard for me to give an exact list. Star Trek is my number one favorite, because...well...Rushton hit it right on the mark. I'd rather read, most of the time. I like to read, write, play video games, watch anime, watch sci-fi, play DnD, use more imagination than can fit into the Earth's oceans or Luna's craters or Sol's cosmic rays... (last one was stupid...) Star Wars is okay, at least the second trilogy (first released--Episodes IV-VI) and books, but Star Trek suits my tastes better.

TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR, and Enterprise are all great (though not Enterprise at times...). I'd have to say that I liked each one for different reasons, but they all hold for me. I like them all, and there's nothing you can say to change that.

To settle the arguement between SW ships vs. Star Trek ships:

SW Pros
Size
Armor
SW Cons
Only Laser technology
No Shields
No true Escape Pods
Reliance on weak figher craft
Hyperspace = less reliable
Can't fight in hyperspace
No anti-matter technology
Deathstar takes too long to charge

ST Pros--Most/All Ships
Phaser Technology
Subspace = easy and faster
Can fight in subspace
Shielding = Lasers don't matter (1k hits = 1% damage); Death Star full power MIGHT = 20% damage
Escape Pods
Has fighters like the Defiant class
TORPEDOES (says it all)
Anti-matter technology
ST Conds
Usually thin armor

Need I even go on? Every ship in the SW universe basically has the same level of technological growth. In ST there is diversification. What do I mean? Let me explain:

Human
Generally better at sensor and defensive technologies.
Vulcan
Greatest defensive technologies.
Klingon
Greatest offensive technologies.
Romulan
Generally considered best at cloaking with decent offensive technologies.
Borg
Adaptive.
Q
Uh? Comperable to the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses.
Krenim
They control time for goodness sake!!
Dominion
Almost beat the Federation + Klingon Empire + Romulan Empire, great offense, but lack good strategy.

Need I go on?

Oh! And ST non-realistic, ideal universe? I think not! There is more discrimination than you can shake a stick at! Earth got over the "race" thing thanks to the Vulcans. They realized that the universe is a lot larger... Plus they just got over a war. It's not perfect, no where near.

Perhaps you want a "foot soldier" perspective.
I direct your attention to Episode II! Entire Jedi enterage versus the Droids. Therefore, change Droids to Borg, and the Jedi are getting owned by the Borg and eachother. Or do you wish to go v the Federation? Well, any Dark Jedi would lose because of their "go it alone" and "dominate your minions" stance. Quick defeat. Light Jedi wouldn't fight the Federation. They hold the same ideals.

Maybe the Klingons? They're much better hand to hand fighters than anyone I've yet to see in the SW universe.

Next question!

Later! I'm out!
~~BAM the DOC

Skeleton Kni

Member!
Reaction score
Website
clanMtF.cjb.net
I also dont like startrek because they are too nice to everyone, helping these stupid aliens with stuff, and the bad guys all suck. These ppl always seem to get on a gigantic ship, and hold it up, explain to me how 10 clingongs with lazer guns can hijack that gigantic ship, like the security isnt large enough? A ship of that size would have 20000 guards... Not just those 8 actors it shows...

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Define:
Huge Ship

Larges Ship ever in ST universe:
Borg Cube

Possiblity of being "hijacked" by Klingon warriors:
0-5%

Crew Compliment:

That's the largest you get on ST. For the Federation:

Largest Ship in Federation Stock:
Medical Ship (unsure of class)

Possiblity of being hijacked by said Klingons:
0-98% (0% because they wouldn't want it)

Crew Compliment:
~50
Security:
~10-15

Largest Combat Ship:
Enterprise D

Possiblity of being hijacked by said Klingons:
30-80%

Crew Compliment:
Security:
~50

Reasons:
Generally, you want to take a ship, you ambush it. Klingons can cloak, and the best sensors can't pick that up without being "forced" to look for certain things. Once their aboard, the Klingons are much better at hand-to-hand combat and would force themselves in close. They are also warriors, and employ stealth to master the terrain. That means, even at a terrain disadvantage, they'll likely have a tactical advantage.
30% = not well planned and Warf is likely in the crew.
80% = very well planned, Warf likely not in crew, and systems are almost all down (save life-support and other critical systems).

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
No wonder. You like the Simpsons. It's probably rotted your brains to the point that it can no longer understand the concepts of real science that Star Trek brings to the TV screen. All of Gene Roddenbery's writtings are based on actual scientific theory. Want to know what warp is based on? The Theory of Zero Energy! That's an actual theory in the scientific community. Want it explained? Ask me in the AS.

OH! FYI: My respect for the Simpsons = 0. That will answer your question on do I like it or not before you ask. I don't like it, and will oft make fun of it. A lot people who like the Simpsons just like action with no real sophistication. There are many exceptions, of course. I just like to say that the show rots brains, so don't take that as an offense. It's actually not, and it's kind of a joke.

Back to the topic at hand:

It's boring because it uses real-life as oppsed to true fiction. Hyperdrive is a fantasy based on the hopes to create something that is "easier" to attain that warp. It works on a simpler equation, but it's a lot more falsifiable. That is proven by the Theory of Zero Energy. Besides, to pick an exact path through hyperspace, one would need a computer the size of an X-Wing just to compute all the calculations before, during, and after travel. Why after? To reinsert your ship into normal space. Sub-space is a lot more realistic to enter, though it requires more energy to "punch" through.

And you obviously haven't seen some of the awesome, eye-candy space battles they've had in Star Trek. It certainly give Star Wars' short existance a run for it's...well... whatever.

Rushton

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.bladestorm.org
Hmm I think you're right about ST not being perfectly idealistic, I think I meant that the federation is near perfectly idealistic.

As an afterthought, don't get me wrong. In terms of humour, adventure, general feeling of ... fun? You know? Star Wars takes the cake. And yes, lightsabre's and lightsabre battles are pretty damn cool.

By the way, when I say Star Wars, I'm talking about the first-made-trilogy. Not this new eye-candy trash.

Also, if Star Trek sucks the big one, is boring, crap, etc, then why the hell has it been going on for SO DAMN LONG! I admit its not very popular, its for a niche audience, that's for sure. But the viewers are there, have been since... the late 60's was it? And I can assure you they aren't all complete dorks (although a good many are).

I can't sympathise with the wankers who wear Vulcan ears and have a captain suit and go to www.startreknude.com

I'm talking about casual viewers who don't consider ponderings about the nature of mankind the gayest thing ever, who find deep, thought-provoking TV a good thing. Think of Star Trek as the anti-sitcom. Sitcoms suck. Canned laughter is all I need as a reason at this point.

p.s. ewoks were so shit

STFederation

Reaction score
Website
clanstartrek.cjb.net
I guess Star Trek is the real winner here since no one who likes Star Wars can provide any real evidence to support thet Star Wars is better than Star Trek.

Star Wars :eek: :shoot Star Trek

Troa

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Star Wars is alot better, I hate Star Trek.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Star trek is better, preferally NG.