Squaresoft vs. Blizzard?

Payment

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Alright... I wanna know what you guys think about this...

What's better Squaresoft or Blizzard. In my opinion these are the two greatest gaming companies to ever grace the planet. Squaresoft didn't actually start making RPGs on the Nintendo, all their past racing games and action games failed. In a last, and almost seemingless chance to give the company a restart they made Final Fantasy. Thinking that this would be their last game ever, they gave it the name Final Fantasy.

This game was released in 1987, and had an overwhelming success in Japan, and made it to the US coast's some years later.
They continued to make the games, with more success with each game. To date there are 11 Final Fantasies, and other various games such as Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Chross, etc.
Squaresoft is quite possibly, in my opinion, the greatest Company to ever grace consol gaming.

This was my opinion till some years back when I got the game Starcraft. I didn't really start getting into Starcraft till the summer of this year, but I realized then how much I had been missing. Later that summer, I started playing Diablo 2, and realized how fun it was to play an Online RPG. I absolutley love Blizzard now.
I used to be only with RPGs on console, but now I play RTS and RPGs online.

When I pick up an RPG from Squaresoft it is so addicting, and one of the most fun things to do, even more fun then playing Starcraft or Diablo at times. But, after I beat the game, it's not fun anymore. While with Starcraft and Diablo it constantly makes me want to come back and play more. I really love Replay Value. But sometimes the games seem dull compared to a Final Fantasy.

I think probably most have you have picked up Final Fantasy one time in your life. So what do you think is better?

You make the call... Squaresoft or Blizzard?

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
squaresoft is alright. I never got into the whole final fantasy thing. My friend used to play it alot. It's actually funny, back when I didnt have a computer (like 5 years ago) I remember we rented Final Fantasy 7 ... for PSX and he was playing it and I was like "can I go play warcraft 2"... thats all I wanted to do whenever I was over there. Then I got a computer of my own and bought warcraft 2 and played it for like 20 hours straight and got sick of it :D

Which is better though... hmm, probably blizzard, just cause they sell more games. I have never really played alot of squaresoft games though, but it seems to me like Final Fantasy is the only thing keeping them afloat. Their movie really sucked big balls though... I can't beleive I actually watched most of that and I paid $5 to rent it too. I guess it coulda been worse... I coulda seen it in the movie theater.

Anyyyyyways.... my vote goes to Blizzard!

Placebo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
People forget that Blizzard made Rock and Roll Racing which was the first battle racing game ever. I still play that game since it is so cool.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Placebo
People forget that Blizzard made Rock and Roll Racing which was the first battle racing game ever. I still play that game since it is so cool.
Rock and Roll Racing... it sounds like a tellitubbies game or something.

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i dunno

ive played final fantasy 9 and it was addictive but after a while got boring. after playing starcraft almost constantly it has also become boring. that is where diablo comes in. diablo has a very lose base line so it has infinate possibilities. mabey i would become bored of diablo....only if i played it for like 3 days nonstop.

my vote is for Blizzard. better games,people, and internet play

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Blizzard obviously, whats the point, most ppl will vote for blizzard on this forum, because everyone here is from battle.net. (hehe skuzzys bot). truely i only like Final Fantasy Tactics. i never played 7 because my gay friend wouldn't let me. i rented 8 at blockbuster, it was alright, i got to the third disk with a lv 64 squal, and everyone else was like lv 40 which made me lose alot of battles. and #9 just sucked all around. i never got around to number 10, im just ot enthusiastic about playing ANOTHER fianal fantasy game. and as for diablo, i think personaly is the worst blizzard game.

WilliamDell

Member!
Reaction score
Website
lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com
Well, this is a difficult decision to make. On one hand Blizzard has made some great games and while Squaresoft has made many great games especially the Finaly Fantasy series. I have personally played at least a little of every Final Fantasy ever made. I have beaten FFI, FFVIII, and FFX several times now and I am working on some of the others. I think FF Tactics and FF Mystic Quest were pretty weird so I played them very little, but I am working on beating all of the rest. At the same time I still play Diablo II every once in a while just to see what items I find. I think Squaresoft is better for a couple reasons: they make games a lot faster and with very few bugs compared to Blizzards games. Blizzard has one cool thing about their games, when I first play them, I try to reach the cinematics which are always the highlights for me, they are the best part of the games. There are lots of factors besides the one I mentioned that affected my decision, but I still must support Squaresoft because they have so many great games that I love. Meanwhile Blizzard has its moments with its games, but I wish there was not so much hacking, then the games would truly be enjoyable.

Reaction score
Website
www.rpgshock.com
In my opinion, it would not be right to compare the two developers. I agree with you that they are both incredibly good at what they do, and I love almost all their games. Whenever I see the name Squaresoft in the release notes, it means I'll have no money in the coming months. The same goes for Blizzard.

Squaresoft has been doing what they do best for a long time, and that is RPGs. Blizzard has been doing what they do best for an equally long time, and that is RTS.

Both of them provide new and innovative gameplay tactics and styles for the two genres.

Deathmate

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
OMG squaresoft SUCKS They only made 2 games that i like, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy tactics, the rest SUCKED (Especially FF8, & 9)

Every Final Fantasy after FF 7 & Tactics SUCKED

Blizzard on the other hand has NEVER disapointed me. Diablo 1: OWNED. Diablo 2: OWNED. Starcraft: OWNED. BroodWar: OWNED Warcraft 1-3 OWNED

Blizzard is the best gaming company EVER. No denying that.

Reaction score
Website
www.rpgshock.com
Originally posted by Deathmate
OMG squaresoft SUCKS They only made 2 games that i like, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy tactics, the rest SUCKED (Especially FF8, & 9)

Ever final Fantasy after FF 7/ Tactics SUCKED

Blizzard on the other hand has NEVER disapointed me. Diablo 1: OWNED. Diablo 2: OWNED. Starcraft: OWNED. BroodWar: OWNED Warcraft 1-3 OWNED

Blizzard is the best gaming company EVER. No denying that.
Well, aren't you quite the person to back up your opinions. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think Squaresoft "SUCKS" and Blizzard is the "best gaming company EVER".

Deathmate

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by SpadoricMovement
Well, aren't you quite the person to back up your opinions. Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think Squaresoft "SUCKS" and Blizzard is the "best gaming company EVER".
Squaresoft games are all the same. I think all the final fantasy games (Excluding Final Fantasy Tactics) run on the same engine.

Blizzard games are sweet.

Reaction score
Website
www.rpgshock.com
So, they're all the same. All the games they've made are all the same. Given, they are mostly RPGs.

Apples, oranges, pears, pineapples, and grapes are all fruit, but they're not the same thing, right? Get what I'm trying to say here?

That same analogy can apply to Blizzards games. They make mostly RTS, which, in my opinion have all the same concept and gameplay. Sure they have some significant elements, but the core of each game is similar.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Squaresoft revolutionized the PS and PS2. Blizzard revolutionized the PC. Playing WC3 on PS2 would be crap and difficult. But while Squaresoft has FFX to boast one of the best looking titles of all time, Blizzard has the best RTS game so far on PC. FFXI won't change the fact PS2 can go online and won't stun the world, but Blizzard has to realise if it tries to be like Squaresoft and continue Starcraft/Warcraft, then there's something that may get boring. Look at the mess of FF9! Besides, Blizzard's RTS stroyline CANNOT rival that of FFX.

BeerMonkey

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think that Square would beat Blizzard in a poll because square has more video games then Blizzard and square is way more famous in the real world,but I would still consider Blizzard to be the second best video game company,because there games are amazig not the best but amazing and the playing online thing that's cool.
I heard that Battle.net is going to start charging monye for online gaming.

Slayer

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Im taking this time to defend final fantasy 9. First of all ff8 was a step up from ff7 in realism and insead of going futuristic without a glance behind them they released ff9. the reason for it was a reflection of the roots of squaresoft and a tribute for all final fantasy fans out there, so have some respect

Kamikaze

Respected Member
Reaction score
final fantasy 9 sucked ass
i beat every ff game up to 8, i could only get about 20 hours into #9 before i wanted to run screaming into the path of a speeding truck.
the problem is squaresoft tried to get too broad of a market by putting a little bit for everyone into their games.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kamikaze
final fantasy 9 sucked ass
i beat every ff game up to 8, i could only get about 20 hours into #9 before i wanted to run screaming into the path of a speeding truck.
the problem is squaresoft tried to get too broad of a market by putting a little bit for everyone into their games.
Your Damn right. I got maybe 10 minutes into FF9. Lame excuse for a FF.