Some Valentine's Day Mapping Goodies!

Tuxedo Templar

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
No, they aren't Valentine maps (ponders if that'd be a clever idea...) Instead, I made these just to blatantly show off, in my usual style, to suit the occasion. The first of which is a cool grid-free directional movement trick, as per request (see the magic of PMs?) I don't recall if a grid-free one has ever been made, but if it has, well, then here's another way to do it, I guess :p (grid-free means that no 2x2 building needed to align the location to the grid, and thus can be used over any terrain.)

The second, and the one I'm most pleased with, is a sample of my shooter system for my upcoming defence map (yes, you heard that correct: a d map!) The controls are simple: first get some ammo from the beacon (no costs or nothing, as it's just to show how it's gonna work), then select your weapon at the protoss gateway (read the labels), then have fun spraying around random ordinance! Feel free to blatantly rip the sounds for your own use if you want!

Happy Valentine's Day!

-MatriX-

R{S}T
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
[COLOR=33DD33]Dude! Those are awesome! Good job!:)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=004400]-[/COLOR][COLOR=006600]M[/COLOR][COLOR=008800]a[/COLOR][COLOR=00AA00]tr[/COLOR][COLOR=00CC00]i[/COLOR][COLOR=00EE00]x[/COLOR][COLOR=00FF00]-[/COLOR]​

ShaftedTwice

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Woah dude! Those maps are awesome! Keep up the good work, man.

ShaftedTwice

inc

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I've seen the first one done in a map called Artillery, but great job and thanks for leaving it unprotected.

Tuxedo Templar

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by inc
I've seen the first one done in a map called Artillery, but great job and thanks for leaving it unprotected.
Yeah, it's not an altogether new trick, but I was wracking my brain for a way to do it without having to use a 2x2 building to align it to the grid (as some units will be placed in a different arrangement in a 'create unit' action if the location is aligned to the grid vs. centered onto a unit at any arbitrary, grid-independant position). All the other methods I've seen require this grid alignment, and would be practically useless on irregular terrain where a building wouldn't place (since buildings, unlike most units, are placed in alignment with the map grid in triggers).

drax

Member!
Reaction score
i like the second one. i dont really understand what u mean with the 2x2 building but its still pretty kool.