Science vessel

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
The best air unit/magic unit. can make all protoss shields 0% and has irridate that works good on lurkers. how many of you use it? how do you block em? how do you use em in your strategys?

Ryu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Science vessels only play a major role in TvZ matchups. They are virtually unused in TvT, except maybe to matrix a few bcs. In TvP, they are mainly used for detections, you may think they'd be used more to disrupt shield or energy of high templars, but it's not that effective.

Shields are already pretty weak, since it takes full damage dispite the damage type being dealt by the unit. High Templars are usually made in bulk against terran, they are cheaper then sci vessel, and storm cost less then EMP to cast. On top of that, they are usually left in a scattered formation, giving you only a chance to EMP one of them, and that's only a temporary solution.

I personally still prefer to irradiate a high temp, but you wouldn't have enough science vessel to irradiate enough high templars to be effective. You can't make too many sci vessels vs Protoss because you need the gas to keep up a metal build, while protoss can afford a lot of high temps cause their main force comprise of zealots/goons vs terran.

In TvZ, science vessels really shine. Science vessels can either win or lose the game for you when facing zerg. They are a terran's only real defense vs guardians, mainly because guardians are usually accompanied by hydras, so making any other air units to try and kill guardians doesn't work considering the guardian's range to take out tanks, with hydras just behind them to defend against air. Also, you can have A LOT of science vessels vs zerg, since you're main attack force consist of marines, rather then metal.

Zerg's only counter to science vessel are scourges, 2 scourge kills a vessel at 1/3 of the gas cost. However, good terran keeps vessels above marines, so you usually can only attack the vessel with scourge if you have other units distracting the marine fire from scourges.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Science vessels are good. They are only neccisary if you opponent is going for certain things, for instance carriers or archons. One hit from the sci vessel to carriers or archons and it will hurt them greatly... even more so than plague.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I had a fleet of BC back in my newb days, and me and my partner were going up against two carrier crazed opponents. if i hadn't built science vessels and emped then the carriers would have won (this is an estimate from my friend, though it is still unsure because i won in the end, with over 7000 to supply new bcs, valks, and science vessels)

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by SkuZZy
Science vessels are good. They are only neccisary if you opponent is going for certain things, for instance carriers or archons. One hit from the sci vessel to carriers or archons and it will hurt them greatly... even more so than plague.
Nope, Science Vessels is good in EVERY game regardless of what your opponent is going.

Why you ask?

TvT : EMP wraiths, Detects cloaked Wraiths, Defensive Matrix.

TvZ : Irradiate (!!), Detects Lurkers, Detects Burrowed Units, Defensive Matrix.

TvP : EMP shockwave, Irradiate Zealots, Irradiate High Templar, Detects Dark Templar, Defensive Matrix.

All these are potentially game winning situations.
Defensive Matrix is a VERY powerful ability too if you practice enough micro to use it.

In TvZ its not uncommon to see 12 SCV floating around.
TvT and TvP maybe less...kekeke

soljah

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i like science vessel accept i never use it because i always make one and then forget about it and when i get attack im too busy defend to try and do anything with the science vessel. i think its stupid how they can be locked down toooo they should beable to stop it cuz they are science guys and they are advanced.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Remiraz

Nope, Science Vessels is good in EVERY game regardless of what your opponent is going.

Why you ask?

TvT : EMP wraiths, Detects cloaked Wraiths, Defensive Matrix.

TvZ : Irradiate (!!), Detects Lurkers, Detects Burrowed Units, Defensive Matrix.

TvP : EMP shockwave, Irradiate Zealots, Irradiate High Templar, Detects Dark Templar, Defensive Matrix.

All these are potentially game winning situations.
Defensive Matrix is a VERY powerful ability too if you practice enough micro to use it.

In TvZ its not uncommon to see 12 SCV floating around.
TvT and TvP maybe less...kekeke
I didn't ask. My post wasn't really all that clear, looking back on it I must have been really tired when I wrote it or something. I was only implying things relating to the energy weapon that sci's use. I use irradiate often and it is a good weapon. Sci vessels are always good to have around. About defense matrix, it's a good ability, but sci's other abilities out weigh it by quit a bit.

SkuZZy

B

Beatrix9.0

vessels rule

i would like to say if you are going to make sci vessels you should keep 4 marines and 2 goliaths with them that way if you get attacked you can protect your vessel and you get to kick but on who ever you want. expecially against dark templars and high templars dark templars are close range and high templars you can irradate then they can't do anything.:D

Payment

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Vessels are superior. I like to take them and a shuttle in kinda early (Maybe 10 minutes in) and use irradicate right where they started mining. Then take a marine and a firebat from my shuttle and use stim packs with them. All their workers die in a couple seconds and they get very mad.

But, this usually only works on newbs, they don't have their main mining section protected.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Re: vessels rule

Originally posted by Beatrix9.0
i would like to say if you are going to make sci vessels you should keep 4 marines and 2 goliaths with them that way if you get attacked you can protect your vessel and you get to kick but on who ever you want. expecially against dark templars and high templars dark templars are close range and high templars you can irradate then they can't do anything.:D

Try not to "assign" units to other units when you play...like "4 marines and 2 Goliaths to protect your vessel".
Play the game with more flexibility, think on the fly, rigid playing only wastes precious time.

K

Karen-Karen

TvZ

When i play against zerg i usually use 2~4 science vessels and maybe some wraiths (depends on ur enemy's mining area defense) to kill all his worker
First, use irridiate on each science vessel (use hot-key) you can use defense shield if u have enough energy
then just get ur wraiths in front to protect vessels and while everything is hitting on wraiths my vessels fly around in his mining area (with irridiate on them)
this works best with zerg SCV has 60 hit points takes a bit longer and this doesnt work on probes. this is more of a screwing with ur opponent kinda thing

i also use this on marines vs marines or marines vs hydra situations irridiate vessel and fly around them while they are attacking ur marines, now the only problem is medics

(if this has already been posted..........sorry!! i didnt read them)

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
In TvP i almost never use vessels. They are not that effective because shields are already weak and metal production takes away too much gas. I only use vessels in TvP if the enemy keeps makin DTs in addition to his zeals + goons; and of course i research EMP if i already need the vessels.

In TvT i cant afford vessels because of the high cost of tanks, golliaths and BCs. Defensive matrix on BCs and tanks can be very effective, but i prefer an extra BC rather than a vessel.

In TvZ i tech to vessels asap. I even make a factory before accademy. Most zergs tech to lurkers right away so its best to get vessels fast. Irradiate is an amazing spell which can drain life from hydras and mutas really fast, or kill a lurker in just one cast. Irradiate is also the best counter for guardians in late game, as long as u can keep the scourges away.
Another spell that is very underused in TvZ is defensive matrix. This makes a unit nearly invinsible. Cast matrix on ur tanks and they wont get wasted by hydras, or cast it on a marine and use it to draw fire from lurkers so ur other marines wont get slaughtered.

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
I've seen a very strange but effective Sci Vessel strat.
Take a Sci Vessel with enough energy for Irradidate and a Dropship to where your enenmy's miners are.
Use Irradidate on the Dropship and make it patrol where their miners are at.
Mostly only works on newbs or people who are really slow.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
No, that strat is very well known. U make 2 science vessels cast irradiate on each other and u make them hover over the enemy's drones. It works on good players too, progamers do it all the time.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
LOL!!! Stop playing money map newbs and learn how to play the game.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
Hehe, i think every unit is the best :) U cant win a TvZ without vessels, but u cant win a TvZ without SCVs or marines either.

Richochet

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I mostly use them for observation...and getting rid of larger, more powerful units. I tend to leave them out, but when things get sticky, I usually have to use them.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You can never leave out SV for 3 simple reasons :

1) Dark Templar
2) Lurker
3) Cloaked Wraith

These will always be used in every game by competent players (a.k.a non-newbies).

*Not to mention that SV's irradiate kills every single Zerg unit except ultralisks. Irradiate a Lurker/muta/overlord or two and the SV automatically pays for itself.

NewPosts

New threads