BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ohh, gotcha.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Rate this game. Me (Aezrel.Thoryn), 9 o'clock White Protoss versus my brother (JonySCP), 12 o'clock Purple Zerg.

I loved it :D

Had some big mistakes myself, I know, but, well, in the end I won. And with toss, micro is fundamental. I was able to defeat a nice army of zlings with 8 zlots with micro.

In the end, I think the replay is bugged. Hope you guys won't get it entirely bugged :(

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Prox said:
What about, later, you get a Reaver? That could help a bit. Or, are we talkin a fast game, no time/no plans to live after 15 min?
Reavers are nice for decimating zerg forces. But I dont like them! Well, you have to build thier scarabs constantly. You need a number of them to make up for thier slow attack speed. Also, aren't all zerg ground units (except drone) have a fast movement speed when fully upgraded (especially Zerglings)? They could reach you and kill off your reavers, unless you have a lot to make up for the weaknesses. IF you dont have AA, then you can't do anything but watch your reavers get raped. But most smart players would get AA for a reason. Most FPS strategies were made up so that all weaknesses are covered, whether it would be from melee attack or even to bombings from the sky.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
FPS? :p

No one would send reavers all alone, mate. Having zlots (and archons) in front to cover from melee units, and a couple dragoons, as well as high templars (always a good option :)), as well as corsairs for AA, and it'll be enough.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I watched all of the replay. You did good Tronga but you took your time in getting enough Gateways, and even by the end of the game you should've had twice that at least to keep the pressure on the Zerg. Also, you didn't need Dragoons at all, Corsairs can handle the air. And speaking of Corsairs, why did you harass his Overlords when he had Spores around? I thought that was silly because he is losing 100 minerals for the Overlord and you are losing 150 minerals plus 100 gas.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
When, the last part, when I sent my 2 corsairs up? That was a mistake :( When I noticed, they were already dead...

Meh, not that it would matter...

And I did dragoons because speedlots also get affected by maelstrom, while you can send zlots to hydras and maelstrom zlings that get to your dragoons, then you kill them with both goons and archons.

MyLastSCV

Reaction score
I've seen some of your replays Renzokuken. In my opinion, I think you shouldnt get dark archons. That gas can be used to do other things like more ranged goons or more stormers or you could use the DT's to harass zerg Expansions. Dark archons are best used post late games when you are both very low on cash and small army. Using DA's vs large zerg armies is pointless if the zerg player is skilled enough to just micro around maelstrom.
Usually Most zerg players will do more then a 3 way flank. Their goal is to attack from all sides so your spells are less affective. i think a balanced army of Zealot/Dragoons and HT's is the best way to fight vs the zerg. Upgrade your zealots double forge and you will be fine and the way to use Storm at its best is to chase the hydra with zealots where you want them then storm. Storm isnt very effective against zealots so you have time to pull out of your storms. Dragoons also rape hydras with a zealot force that causes a distraction.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
zerg can micro out of storm not maelstrom. I suspect that's the reason he tried DAs instead of temps. I'm just nitpicking, though.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah microing around storm is easy but maelstorm cannot be dodged :( and Raenzo just pooned me w/ maelstorm :( maelstorm is fheg :scary

ChrisH36

Reaction score
So much for mass Guardian Bombing! Maelstrom is the bomb, then if I can Psi storm. Sometimes, some players I face are stupid and cluster the guardians close to each other. Psi Storm kills them and there goes a2g threat :), well at least most of them.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sairs are also great against guards and sometimes dragoons if you catch them on open ground.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Sairs are another unit that is misjudged. I can wipe out an army of muta with Scouts/Goons/Sairs quite easily. Arbiters can help if you are afraid of losing. Just Statis Field some (but not ALL) of the annoying units and kill them later. Plus, some people want to get rid of the arbiter as fast as they can before worrying about the other units. Take this to your advantage against some opponents!

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
exobyte said:
DEVS > SAIRS

No shit, sherlock. :rolleyes If z has guards, he most likely won't(or can't afford) have devs.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Phoenix2003 said:
2nd game, I was suprised he didn't win with the muta raid. You didn't have any low gas issues in this game nor the last, so I was puzzled why you didn't get both storm and maelstrom. Hydras can't dodge while under maelstrom.

I guess this zerg never heard of lurkers.

yes,i am ben and yes, i suck :) havint found my race yet and my micro is crap,so his strat > me

ChrisH36

Reaction score

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
JM, for future reference, only make sunkens when you need them.

Aqua-THF

Member!
Reaction score
IMHO, the best way to kill a Z is to assault the economy. I only play Non-Money maps as I see them to be more skill oriented, not just mindless massing. On Lost Temple, it is good to drop Templars on cliffs and storm drones whenever possible. Corsairs scout and assault Overlords very well. Harrassing is very important. It is very hard for a P to go toe-to-toe with a Z. Defending and expanding is your best bet, all the while harrassing his economy. Scouting for expansions early on with Dark Templars is also very useful, as you can take out a forming, or already formed hatch before he is able to get an Overlord their.