Making maps without starcraft

vidra2

Reaction score
Is there a way to make StarEdit.exe (or any other similar program) to work without starcraft installed?

I know it requires storm.dll, but I have downloaded it and it won't run anyway (no messages, just doesn't respond to double click).

th4t1dud3

Member!
Reaction score
Maybe you should just install starcraft, that way you can also TEST your map... And testing is something you're going to need to do a lot of... If you can't install StarCraft for some reason, then I'm sorry, I guess you can't use staredit.

Lord of Nukes

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
www.scindex.com
You'd also need StarDat.mpq, BrooDat.mpq, and patch_rt.mpq. I don't know if that's all you need with Storm.dll, but I know that those are required.

vidra2

Reaction score
that is just it, I don't have starcraft anymore. I used to play it a long time ago and sold it.

The reason I'd want to use Staredit is because there are some great "indoor" tiles and objects there that I'd like to take a glimps on, maybe use for inspiration on some 3D modeling etc. I don't want to make real maps or play them.

I supose there is no way to get all these mpq files, right?

th4t1dud3

Member!
Reaction score
I really dont see why you posted this subject on this forum, but I'm willing to help. Give me somewhere where i can send it to you.

vidra2

Reaction score
well, it's a starcraft forum, and it seems a bit less "mainstream" so I thought there would be more here willing to do something like that..

anyway..

thank you for your offer..

Do you have some web space?

I believe my mail inbox can't hold 60-ish Mb.
I have some webspace too, I'd let you upload there, but it's only 25Mb

any suggestions?

th4t1dud3

Member!
Reaction score
I had no idea the startdat.mpq was 62 mb's... I have 56k, so it would take centuries to upload... Sorry dude.

hawkaine

Member!
Reaction score
Well, You cant make a half ass decent map without testing, and frankly, Staredit is a good, but somewhat ummm a side addition for true map making. Anyway many people (including me) Would be happy to transfer the files, If you have an msn account, il transfer.

vidra2

Reaction score
hi there. The maps would hot be for playing. I just wanted to extract some of the cool interior (installation) tiles, walls, objects, pits for inspiration, becase I'm planing on doing some 3D modeling of similar spaces (not related to starcraft though) and I remember I really loved some of the artwork on installation maps.

here is my e-mail adress, so you can find me on msn messanger:
crystalblue@post.t-com.hr

thanks

I hope that you are aware of the file size of stardat.mpq

edit: in case hawkaine does not return, the request is still active, if anyone else is willing to send me the files please let me know

shadowscourge

Member!
Reaction score
Uhhh. I would need a space to put it... but wait. i think there was a file that had them all... Somewhere in one of the stickys... cannot find...
[edit]uhhh.. nvm, the stardat.mpq holds my cd-key...[/edit]

hawkaine

Member!
Reaction score
I should be here anyway, Read the pm i left you

And before anyone calls me a dumbass for putting my SD mpq up. Its my old key ;)

vidra2

Reaction score
Getting a CD key is one of the easiest things, I really would not need your CD key for seversal reasons:

1. I don't have starcraft at all
2. You can always get CD keys or CD key generators of file share networks
3. I don't know how to edit mpq files, I could figure it out, but no need for that since I just want the staredit.exe to work

vidra2

Reaction score
Still nothing, I guess someone else is going to have to help me out.
So I reopen the request. Anyone willing to send me stardat.mpq and the other two mpq files (optional, I could live with stardat.mpq if is going to run staredit.exe)
please PM me

thanks