Is this sentence grammatically correct?

QuikSilver

Forum *********
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
"I am impressed by the wide spectrum of diseases, diagnostic and treatment modalities that internal medicine encompasses. "

thanks guys

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
other than the possibility of an added comma, I would guess it is correct.

Now I have to ask... WTF?

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
Sure it's grammatically correct, but it sounds like the words are "trying too hard".

dreyz

Reaction score
Seems alright to me, but why here of all places?

CyanSleepy

Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, but are we doing your homework?

Yes, it is grammatically correct. It looks better with an extra comma in my opinion though.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Assuming that I'm reading it correctly and that you're referring to both diagnostic modalities and treatment modalities, no, it is not correct.

The fixed sentence should either read:

"I am impressed by the wide spectrum of diseases, diagnostic modalities and treatment modalities that internal medicine encompasses."

or

"I am impressed by the wide spectrum of diseases and diagnostic and treatment modalities that internal medicine encompasses."

It's a fairly common mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. It would be similar to me writing "I enjoy playing basketball, baseball and ice cream" (which would necessarily indicate that I enjoy playing ice cream), rather than writing "I enjoy playing basketball, playing baseball and ice cream" (although this version is more vague than writing " ... and eating ice cream" it would still be syntactically correct).

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
I genuinely wish that anything in the world gave me as much pleasure as being a complete intellectual dick to strangers on the internet gives CB.

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i was legit tryna be helpful :(

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
are you still a trucker cb? i never knew man, i never knew...

Octopor

your whole family is made of meat
Reaction score
Are you trying to say that you don't enjoy playing ice cream?

Octopor

your whole family is made of meat
Reaction score
change that to torchlight 2 (when it comes out) and you have a deal

don't really have too much new music to share sadly :(, but i'll try to see what i got

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
i'll definitely be on TL2 when it comes out, but in the mean time POE is a nice oldschool ARPG.

Haven't been keeping up with ed banger crew, so most of that was new for me. Sending you some new tracks

CelestialBadger

Retired Staff
Reaction score
is it just me or does this new layout blow? whose idea was dark red text on a black bground? and why is the main content of the page reduced to like 40% screen size?

Gimmi

Eric
Reaction score
Nah, I quit that a couple years ago. I'm in grad school atm.

Here's some music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_vBPaI1d0 yr into really sad country music rite??
whats your of field study? also i dont think i ever thanked you, but some years ago you suggested not buying textbooks until after the first exam. you have saved me no less than a thousand bucks over these past few years in undergrad. <3forever

as for sad country music closest i have ever come to that is a few remixes of edward sharpe's home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEOF_rcND8

is it just me or does this new layout blow? whose idea was dark red text on a black bground? and why is the main content of the page reduced to like 40% screen size?
you think red on black is bad? try logging out and logging back in. Its white on white text to enter your username. Classic.