Hotkeys

What are your two favorite hotkey options in melee?

• Shift hotkeys (Saving locations) are my favorite

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Select your favorite melee hotkey option above, and select your second favorite hotkey option as well. Then explain your choices.

I find groups are the best hotkey in the world. I'd rather have to click "Attack" every time than not have groups.

My second favorite hotkey is the basic ones, because it cuts corners everywhere.

My third favorite hotkey is the location ones, because I find very few times I can use them outside of UMS maps. Selecting a group twice fast has the same effect :p

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i like the basic best.. and ctrl hotkeys second best.

i ****ed up my vote, but whatever. the "a" hotkey has got to be the most important one in the game... without it your soldiers are retarded and wont attack on the move. and control lets you select groups of specialized units quickly.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
lol, if anyone else wants their vote to be "Ctrl keys are my favorite", vote for second favorite instead.. that way it fixes what was messed up :D

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Basic hotkeys are essential, so I chose them as my favorite. Group hotkeys are important. You forgot about the alt+click hotkey for recalling previously-selected groups...

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I like basic the best then shift(it's also used for waypoints) tied with ctrl.(although I sometimes forget to actually USE those hotkeys)

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
I didn't forget the alt hotkey, it just doesn't come up as much and I only had room for 3 choices :D

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I mostly used keyboard hotkey, such as c, m, p, etc, for units and I also use shift ones for numbers 1-9 as well as o for unit groups or hatcheries. But mostly, I just use the basic ones. Rally point for R, etc. Since it makes sense and I am a fairly well typist, those just seem to work best for me.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
mosly use basic gotta love pressing H 500 times when it lags

ctrl ones i use but very little... i need more training :(

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I couldn't storm an army without basic hotkeyes.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yeah, I couldn't either. But some pro zerg players opt to hotkey hatches instead of units and still have wicked control. They're really, really fast though so it's not recomended for newer players.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Blizzforums said:
Yeah, I couldn't either. But some pro zerg players opt to hotkey hatches instead of units and still have wicked control. They're really, really fast though so it's not recomended for newer players.
I hotkey hatches. Great for macro and excellent for assigning rally points. :p

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Nono, I mean hotkey all hatches and don't hotkey units. Then they still have wicked control of several unit groups, seemlingly at once. It's very impressive.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
I do that until I max out my supply and can make no more units.. then I use 1-7 for units, and keep 8-0 on hatcheries, to replace my fallen units. It works out fairly well for early-mid game, but I can't imagine anyone would do it as a late game strategy :p

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Blizzforums said:
Nono, I mean hotkey all hatches and don't hotkey units. Then they still have wicked control of several unit groups, seemlingly at once. It's very impressive.
Well what else did you mean?

I'm working on unit control. I don't use the group hotkeys much with Zerg anymore (except for the occasional Overlord that I need to keep track of).

amrtin77

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sometimes its harder for me to remember what numbers i assigned to units than to just find and control them on the field.... i dont fill up my number hotkeys ever, but i use them with spellcasters and such.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hotkeys are what takes an average player and turns him into a good player.

Using them to instantly go from battles to economy will win you games. I'm working hard trying to remember to use them. :/

I mean, in the middle of a battle, just hit 1zz2dd3t4k5z and BAM, your reinforcements are being created -- you don't even have to take your eyes of your attacking units. ^^;

gg

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Master_America said:
Well what else did you mean?

I'm working on unit control. I don't use the group hotkeys much with Zerg anymore (except for the occasional Overlord that I need to keep track of).
That's impressive. You're definitely heading in the right direction to become good. However, alot of pro zergs do the normal hybrid hotkey binding so you don't neccesarily have to play one way or the other to improve.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
amrtin77 said:
sometimes its harder for me to remember what numbers i assigned to units than to just find and control them on the field.... i dont fill up my number hotkeys ever, but i use them with spellcasters and such.
The only reason I fill up mine is because I make a fully-upgraded 200 supply muta/guardian attack force :p

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-Azrael666- said:
The only reason I fill up mine is because I make a fully-upgraded 200 supply muta/guardian attack force :p
I always fill them up. 0&9 Nexus.3-8 Gateway. 1-2 Units groups and when I have more men I just override the gateway hotkeys with units.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
-Azrael666- said:

Are we talking about money maps? =/