Gamer strerotypes

EvoDoom

Member!
Reaction score
Hi there, thought I'd post up a thread just for fun. Please share some of the funniest gamer stereotype you have heard in your time, and give all the rest of us a good laugh! I can't think of anything special other than the classics. We are all fat, we snack 24/7, we don't shower and stink all day. Oh, and we all wear square geeky glasses! :) Got any more?

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Most real gamers should be living in their parent's basement. The only opposite of that would be all of the guys that play Madden and COD, they too are nerds but they don't realize it.

iemp

Reaction score
What about this: "You are playing MMO games? Well you have no real life for sure." Or something like this: "You are playing some first person shooter? Help! This guy is definitely about to kill somebody soon."

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
What about that stereotype that "Gamers are just fat kids that sit at their machines all day eating milk and cookies". My high school gym teacher loved pulling that one out on everyone.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
No one wrote about "gamers are always in the dark, even when they have friends over they sit in the dark with only the glow of the multiple PCs to light them up."

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting the biggest stereotype of all, that all gamers are male. I was at the supermarket buying groceries and a copy of Xbox 360 Magazine ,Wired, Shonen Jump and Nintendo Power. The bagger asked me if I was buying those magazines for my boyfriend. Right because all women care about is dresses and shoes and I couldn't possibly enjoy making CJ of San Andreas get a 6 star wanted level and have all the police after him.
I was so mad that I wanted to beat that bagger up until a stack of floating ,glowing money fell out of him.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
People also think all gamers are young. I grew up in the 1980's where you had to leave your house with a roll of quarters to play video games. You didn't have the luxury of downloading games and if you wanted to play with a friend, you had to go over to their house or go to an arcade with them.

Us 80's kids are the first generation to grow up with video games, so why would it be weird that I'm in my 30's and play video games? They have been around since I was a kid.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
Actually the male stereotype is a good example of a stereotype that even persists within the gaming community. Many male gamers do forget about the female population of gamers.

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
The stereotype of the gamer is changing all the time. In the public imagination, however, still remains the idea that the average gamer is a young obese man who lacks social relations and that does not relate very well with the opposite sex. Beyond that, recent studies and specialized surveys have revealed that gamers actually are people much more active, sociable and intelligent than most think. In my case, for example, do not consider myself part of the stereotype that the media have spread throughout the years. Surely there are common characteristics, but of course are exceptions. The purpose of sex prejudices are still larger, another great discussion.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
The stereotype of the gamer is changing all the time. In the public imagination, however, still remains the idea that the average gamer is a young obese man who lacks social relations and that does not relate very well with the opposite sex. Beyond that, recent studies and specialized surveys have revealed that gamers actually are people much more active, sociable and intelligent than most think. In my case, for example, do not consider myself part of the stereotype that the media have spread throughout the years. Surely there are common characteristics, but of course are exceptions. The purpose of sex prejudices are still larger, another great discussion.
I think that is because video games have become a lot more mainstream and since the generation of the 80s grew up with games there are a lot more older gamers now than there was say ten or twenty years ago. Now with the growth of casual gaming, it is even more mainstream so a lot of the stereotypes are disappearing or are simply not true.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I think that is because video games have become a lot more mainstream and since the generation of the 80s grew up with games there are a lot more older gamers now than there was say ten or twenty years ago. Now with the growth of casual gaming, it is even more mainstream so a lot of the stereotypes are disappearing or are simply not true.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Todays gamers aren't the same people as the gamers who hung out in dingy arcades either, though. Things have progressed a lot recently, the stereotypes however, haven't.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Todays gamers aren't the same people as the gamers who hung out in dingy arcades either, though. Things have progressed a lot recently, the stereotypes however, haven't.

EvoDoom

Member!
Reaction score
Most real gamers should be living in their parent's basement. The only opposite of that would be all of the guys that play Madden and COD, they too are nerds but they don't realize it.
I completely agree! I thought I was the only one who had noticed this! It is the same with phones and facebook. Gamers are mega-geeks because they play video games yet the poepl who say this sit on their phones all day long posting on facebook etc... So hypocrytical! :D

EvoDoom

Member!
Reaction score
That is true, gaming has changed incredibly. I couldn't imagine myself EVER spending alot of time in an arcade... I hate them and they end up costing you a fortune, ughy!

Jessi

Member!
Reaction score
"Girls don't game" or that they only game because their boyfriends beg them, too. I used to really hate that one, but then I kicked a$$, ran my own guild and raid team, etc, so I kinda got over it. ;)

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
Well its either you are fat or skinny. Not showering fits too since you get caught up in gaming that you forget about everything else. Once I traded a game of craiglist, met with the guy at mcdonalds, typical gamer stereotype, fat bearded guy with glasses with 2 bags of mcdonalds.