Do guns kill people or people kill people?

Chain3r-

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This was a topic that my english class debated in school one day and I'd like to hear what some people think about guns. Such as:
-Does the gun kill the person, or the person holding the gun?
-Who should be guilty if a teenager killed someone with a gun? The parents/guardians, The Store that the gun was purchased at, the kid, ect...or any combination
-Any other question related to this topic.

So what do you think?
:shoot :wavey

B)ushid(o

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun is just an instrument to carry the killing out with. If a kid kills a person with a gun then the kid should be punished. It was the killer who wanted the person dead not the gun.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Meh, a pretty dumb topic. :O

But I suppose, unless a freak accident happened and a weapon went off for absolutely no reason at all, it is the people who do the killing. Thats just how it goes. Weapons do not have minds or hold aggression, its the person carrying them.

BTW - "Guns" dont exist, they are weapons. At least, according to the military. :p

Guru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
A gun can't kill somebody without a person firing it.
A person can kill somebody without firing a gun.

There are plenty of ways to kill people - guns just speed up the process. If someone is determined enough to purposely murder someone, they will go through with it with or without a gun.

That and guns are our constitutional right.

Chain3r-

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I agree that this is a pretty stupid topic but I was hopeful enough to start the thread because I wanted someone to take the side of guns kill people, but I guess no one feels like doing that.

:yum :hop :hop
:hop

Sly

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
guns do kill people. if the gun explodes and kills sumone, there dead. which is very rare...

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Guns can't just fire on their own.

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
Originally posted by Chain3r-
This was a topic that my english class debated in school one day and I'd like to hear what some people think about guns. Such as:
-Does the gun kill the person, or the person holding the gun?
-Who should be guilty if a teenager killed someone with a gun? The parents/guardians, The Store that the gun was purchased at, the kid, ect...or any combination
-Any other question related to this topic.
Takes 2 to shoot a gun.

If a kid shoots another kid, then the kid should be punished. If the parents knew what he was planning to do, then they are legally liable. If the store owner knew what the gun was going to be used for, and still sold the gun, then he is legally liable.

munchyman

Eat your vegetables!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok first off, to clear something up. Guns do not "explode" In fact, no parts of the gun actually combust. What DOES explode is the powder and primer in the bullet casing, propelling a lead bulllet out of the barrel and into someones body. Also, a gun cannont decide to point itself at the nearest person, co ck itself, and then pull its own triger. A gun is a tool, and it is the person that wields this tool that is responsible for what he/she does with it.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Guns are not dangerous when they're sitting alone somewhere. It's only the when the person holds the gun that makes the tool a dangerous weapon.

Well, it's the people then.

Part two will need to look at the morals of the society to see who is the guilty person.

- Amantis

DB

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Re: Re: Do guns kill people or people kill people?

Originally posted by Spike~
If the parents knew what he was planning to do, then they are legally liable.

Wrong. They are liable either way. Knowing or not knowing.

People kill people.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
To get technical, eve if you sided with the guns, you would be wrong.
Guns dont kill people, bullets do. :)

dust601

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Guns don't kill people without us, theres no arguing that. But guns do make it much much much easier when caught up in heat of a moment to kill someone that if you wouldn't of had a gun you would of realized was tottaly moronic by time you thought up a way to kill them. Weak people let there emotions get the best of them somtimes, at certain times like that guns are just as responsible as the person to me, if these people wouldn't of had the gun, the other person wouldn't be dead, maybe a few broken bones and beat up but not dead. Sure guns can't think and shoot for themsevles but they can turn a violent sitution into a deadly one just by being there.

dP

Member!
Reaction score
Technicly, it is the person. The person kills it, he goes to jail. Does the gun go to jail? No.

Chain3r-

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Aeris22
"Guns can't just fire on their own"
not yet... [/B]
Freaky...The day when robots take over the world is sooner then I thought!:(

Tempest Storm

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.war3.com
Re: Re: Re: Do guns kill people or people kill people?

Originally posted by Razael
Wrong. They are liable either way. Knowing or not knowing.
How so?

Chain3r-

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can see where hes coming from, if the parents had a gun in a "safe" place that wasn't locked or had some anti-child mechanism they should be accountable, because they shouldn't have guns in places that are reachable to children even if they "don't" know where it is. But its not the parents fault if it was in a safe place that was locked.