Diablo III on PS3?

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Do you guys think that there is any truth to the rumor that it may move to the PS3? Personally, I don't it will make that move until the PS4. I think that would be a really big get for Sony and it would be a good way to kick off a console. Would any of you start over on the PS3/4 to play with a different set of friends?

Or, will only be PC for you when it comes to Diablo?

awesomedor

Reaction score
Well, I remember an article where Blizzard did say they were thinking of introducing the game to consoles, but I haven't heard of it yet.
Seeing Diablo 3's state and my gradual loss of interest in the game, I will definetly not repurchase the game for the Ps3/4. The game seems more suitable to PC anyways.

Imoverthere

Member!
Reaction score
I find it highly doubtful that Blizzard will make it a game for consoles, especially with how most of the game uses a lot of hotkeys in controlling your character. The game controlling mechanics are just a bit too extended for console controllers to work with, the way I see it.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Well, this wouldn't be the first game that has a special joystick for their game and it appears that Blizzard really wants to move the game beyond the PC, so they may have a plan for it. How many hotkeys does the game have? There are 16 buttons on the Sixaxis, not counting the actual sticks, so there could be plenty of combinations used with it.

Aegis

Reaction score
I wouldn't quite say it's a rumor, there's factual evidence to prove it's something Blizzard is considering. Take a look on their jobs page and you'll notice this: Diablo III Game Systems Designer (Console)

While it isn't definitive "Yes," It's not as far fetched an idea as you might think.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Thank you! Someone that is aware that they are really pushing for this. Tell me, with the 16 buttons on the Sixaxis, do you think that it is something that could be done with success? I know there will be some differences, but do you believe they will be able to minimize them in such a way that a console player would be able to really enjoy the bulk of the game's intent?

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
Well it's not like it's impossible to map hot keys via a controller. And Blizzard has went on record stating home system interest. And push come to shove, the PS3 has mouse and keyboard support anyway. Although, I the the real thing that will hold is back is the RMAH. They don't even have the bugs worked out on the PC version with that yet. So lord only knows how bad it would turn out if they tried to bring the game WITH the RMAH right now.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
It sounds like it will still be a good while before they are able to port the game to the PS3, so I would imagine that by the time they do, the issues with the RMAH would be settled or they could use a different type of currency like PlayStation dollars since that is pretty much real money and it could stay in PSN accounts.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
It sounds like it will still be a good while before they are able to port the game to the PS3, so I would imagine that by the time they do, the issues with the RMAH would be settled or they could use a different type of currency like PlayStation dollars since that is pretty much real money and it could stay in PSN accounts.

Honestly, I'd LOVE if you could use your PSN account funds for a PS3 version of Diablo 3. But I wouldn't risk it considering the very "not our problem" style responses they've been giving their customers over the RMAH as it is.

johnTisRad

Reaction score
I remember hearing a rumor too but their are two things. Firstly, blizzard would need to make a contract with sony for example and figure out a way for all the hot keys and such to work as consoles aren't nearly as complicated as keyboards.

Secondly, they would probably release it with the ps4 for maximum sales.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd LOVE if you could use your PSN account funds for a PS3 version of Diablo 3. But I wouldn't risk it considering the very "not our problem" style responses they've been giving their customers over the RMAH as it is.
I think since it would be on Sony's network and using their money, they would step in an take some accountability with any issues that the RMAH could/would have. So, there would be two entities trying to negate problems.

I remember hearing a rumor too but their are two things. Firstly, blizzard would need to make a contract with sony for example and figure out a way for all the hot keys and such to work as consoles aren't nearly as complicated as keyboards.

Secondly, they would probably release it with the ps4 for maximum sales.
I agree with you on them waiting for the PS4, but it's not like the contract would be hard to secure since both parties are interested. Also, I think if developers can come up with a game like Diablo III working out hotkeys on a 16 button controller would be the least of their porting issues.

Scoobysteaks

Reaction score
I also believe I saw a article saying Blizzard may bring it to consoles. It would be amazing, since most of my friends play PS3, I could have Diablo parties! This would really encourage me to play it more aswell.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
I also believe I saw a article saying Blizzard may bring it to consoles. It would be amazing, since most of my friends play PS3, I could have Diablo parties! This would really encourage me to play it more aswell.
It would be a nice option. But I wouldn't say for sure if it would encourage me to play the game more. But then again, trophies DO have a way of making me play games a little longer than I normally would.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I think Diablo players that are also open to consoles would be way too curious to not play and see how it works on one. Not to mention, there would be another set of players that they would go against and that would add a completely different dynamic to the experience in my opinion.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
They may as well give it a shot anyway. Plenty of games that have similar mechanics have already hit the home systems (outside of he RMAH)

Dungeon Hunter and Record of the Lodoss War come to mind

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I agree that they should try to do it. Not just for D3, but for any future games that they may develop. Or, if they just want to develop a new game solely for the console, but with the same premise and mechanics. It would be a huge infusion of potential cash into Blizzard since there may be a chance that they are not as profitable as they used to be.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
I agree that they should try to do it. Not just for D3, but for any future games that they may develop. Or, if they just want to develop a new game solely for the console, but with the same premise and mechanics. It would be a huge infusion of potential cash into Blizzard since there may be a chance that they are not as profitable as they used to be.
They're probably worried about the PC gaming crowd backlash.

They aren't exactly welcoming to companies that put their once solely PC franchises onto home systems. The only one's that have escaped PC community bane are Valve. Even ID is in the proverbial dog house with them now. Maybe that's the kind of thing Blizzard is afraid of.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They can't be too afraid of it, because this isn't exactly a secret. If I know about it, then every PC gamer knows about it. :D

I think one reason why Valve seems to get away with it is because they barely support the console games they've put out in my opinion. I bought The Orange Box with the main purpose of playing TF2, but before I could even try to, the community for it was decimated by poor execution for the console.

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
At this point I doubt that even if Blizzard wanted to develop on the PS3 that Sony would want to take on the legality of the RMAH or the bad press that could result

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
That's why they should alter it to being worth things within the PSN Store, which on one level would be real money, but something that can be managed by Sony. I think Sony would make more money than they would lose with D3 on their console.