An amazing analogoy

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
This was origonally posted by ZoneChaos at ChristianForums
As an anology to the iraq fiasco (sp?)

Imagine that Nasa discovers an asteroid that may be headed to earth in about 20 years, but they are not sure, so they just keep an eye on it.

Next thing you know, Nasa reports that they have discovered that the asteroid is heading toward earth. The check and double check, and sure enough, it is one its way, and headed strait for the US.

So, the government puts together a crash coarse program costing billions of dollars to make an attempt to stop the asteroid before it hits earth.

FInally, the new systemns are in place, and the attack on the asteroid is launched. It is a great success. It was stopped in time, however, many smaller pices will be hitting earth as a result of the action to stop it, and hundreds will still die, maybe even thousands, but that is a small price to pay for the saving of millions of lives.

Now, lets go forward about 5 years. The event is being looked at and restudied to find better ways of defending ouesleves in the future, when it is discovered that the data was wrong that NASA origianlly had, and it is found out that if we had simply done nothing, and not acted agaisnt the threat, the asteroid would have not hit earth.

Would we have been wrong is doing what we did?
Origonal link http://www.christianforums.com/t92109
You probally have to be a member to view it however...

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i say it would have been stupid to do nothing. i also believe that anology is flawed... the war in iraq wasnt MEANT "defend ourselves," that is just a nice reason. iraq had no way of really harming us, but im still glad we went in (for whatever the real reason is) because without sadam the iraqis are better off.

dust601

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
analogy really doesn't work.
They knew there was a astroid. they didn't know if it was gonna hit them or not but they knew it was there. We didn't know if there were weapons or not, but we knew if there were we would be one of first to get them used against us, everyone critizes but there would have been people complaining if it would of gone differantly to.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Spike~
I heard that analogy on the Niel Bortz show a week back.
Roffle, Neil is the man. I listen to his show every day. :)

Gedrin

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think a more apt analogy is going into the woods and shooting a young bear because some day it could possibly harm someone after a bigger bear mauled someone. Then exaggerating the size to all your friends while aggressively pointing out that their pets could be dangerous too.

As for Afghanistan they should have thought about this adage, don't ask a crocodile for a blowjob and expect your dick back.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
Originally posted by Gedrin

As for Afghanistan they should have thought about this adage, don't ask a crocodile for a blowjob and expect your dick back.
That is the funniest thing I have ever ****ing heard.

ORC-r0x0r-ROC

Like my cute wabbit?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by dust601
analogy really doesn't work.
They knew there was a astroid. they didn't know if it was gonna hit them or not but they knew it was there. We didn't know if there were weapons or not, but we knew if there were we would be one of first to get them used against us, everyone critizes but there would have been people complaining if it would of gone differantly to.
Umm everyone said they had weapons... Heres my anology....

A asteroid was heading for a sea near the US, some people beleived it could have contained a deadly virus that could of possibly killed millions of people, it took billions of dollars to set up a programme to intercept the asteriod, they blow it up, thousands of pieces hit earth and kill thousands of people, it had no harmfull virus's and if it hit the sea them people wouldnt of died. They knew this from the start but they had no real proof of the virus and they didnt know it would kill millions of people....

yogibear990

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
those 2 and a half weapons still could have done a lot of damage, but I'm in Australia, so either way it wouldn't have effected me. I can look at the situation from third person, and say Bush should not have gone in, but I don't and/or didn't feel threatened as an Australian by Saddaam Hussein, or Iraq. Osama Bin Laden is another story though.

ORC-r0x0r-ROC

Like my cute wabbit?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by dust601
exactly everyone "said" they had weapons there was no hard proof
Ok now i get your point, but hat do you think of my altered anology :) btw i will send a virus to anyone whom insults my anology :scary

amrtin77

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
you guys are pathetic :p

he said he'll send a computer virus to anyone making fun of his anology.

~Canuck~

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I think that analogy works, its not like they had solid proof the astroid would or wouldn't miss. Just like the us didn't know if the iraqi's had any WMD or if they would even use them against america or her allies. So i think that hits it dead on.

Forged

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.securegamers.com
Originally posted by yogibear990
those 2 and a half weapons still could have done a lot of damage, but I'm in Australia, so either way it wouldn't have effected me. I can look at the situation from third person, and say Bush should not have gone in, but I don't and/or didn't feel threatened as an Australian by Saddaam Hussein, or Iraq. Osama Bin Laden is another story though.
As a U.S citzen I fill much more threatend than before...

~Canuck~

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Perhaps instead of changing everything around the world, bush should change things at home. Alot of the negative views that arab people have come from the fact they believe (weither this is through propaganda or not) that americans think negatively of them.