America And Obesity

x[311]x

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Over the past couple of months the Media and the Medical community has taken giant steps towards Americans and their problems with obesity. And McDonalds has taken away their super sized fries...etc. what do all of you think about the sudden concern about a problem that has been around for the last 40 years or so?

dust601

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
People aren't fat because of all the things around us.
People are fat because they can't control themselves.
Yes a large portion of americans are overweight, but theres alot of us who aren't to.
The recent craze with losing weight is just a trend.
btw i still bealive mc d's removed super size so fat people would just buy more and spend more money.

ORC-r0x0r-ROC

Like my cute wabbit?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I thought spam was bad. The reason there is a 'sudden' concern is because we have found out that obesity is even more dangerous; heightened chances of getting diabetes; heart disease; lower life span, these are all problems of obesity. Fat is suprisingly good for you and don't mix obesity with fat. By 2010 about 60% of people in America will probaly be obese.

Above_70Percent

Member!
Reaction score
Website
ourworld.cs.com

That says it all.

Ciphus

Member!
Reaction score
LMAO ^^

I think people in America are obese because they are lazy. Sure, you might be a little big due to genetics, but everyone can lose wait. People use big-boned, genetics, and everything else as an excuse. Those same people then go up for seconds in the lunch line!

Above_70Percent

Member!
Reaction score
Website
ourworld.cs.com
I bet everypne who posts in here and says "im not fat being fat is dumb" probly is overwhieght, I am not like arnold swarchseneggar but i'm not fat I just think bein fat just hurts you emotionally more then physically.

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Ciphus

I think people in America are obese because they are lazy.
Err...that isnt limited to America? :O
Thats a world-wide reason? :O

Anywho, yes it is a serious problem. Im glad that we are trying to help ourselves out. It is surely needed. Likely however, people will just buy 2 larges now. :(

x[311]x

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yeah McDonalds could have just dropped that to get people to buy more.... But they could do like Burger King does and not drench their fries in grease.... But there are a lot of reasons i guess that people are into this whole weight loss thing... Either they are tired of being tired... or they just want to look better... But for women its always been tought, because of the models they have to look at everyday on tv and in magazines... they have a certain image to live up too....

Above_70Percent

Member!
Reaction score
Website
ourworld.cs.com
did u like my image? lol

Ciphus

Member!
Reaction score
I didn't mean Americans only, it's just that this is what the topic about. Anyone can lose weight, I was just saying Americans due to the topic name. Sorry bout that.

And yes, that was a hilarious picture.

Chain3r-

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Ciphus
I didn't mean Americans only, it's just that this is what the topic about. Anyone can lose weight, I was just saying Americans due to the topic name. Sorry bout that.
Yes, anyone can lose weight, but is it just losing weight what matters? No, Americans, or any fat person, needs to lose weight and keep it off. This is a hard thing for most people, because they are used to their eating habits, so once they lose some weight they start eating those Burger King "Whoppers"...again. Whats sad is that we used to only have one level of obiesity. You used to just be able to talk about far people and say they're obiese, but now there are like 4 or 5 levels of obiesity (I think). Anyways I'm gonna stop this halfway.
This whole debate makes me want to start a new thread about if Gym should be required in Middle Schools if its not already. (Art takes the spot at my school)

God Illuvatar

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just a quick fat here: 50 percent of Americans are obese. Someone said they are lazy; I agree. The American government isn't doing much either. There was a U.N motion to limit fat of some sort , or maybe it was sugar, and the U.S voted against it, saying that it's people should take care of their own habits. But now everyone thinks the U.S is just protecting their food industry (which they are). It's kinda sad. And also, not all fats are good. Saturated fats are not exactly "dangerous", but too much will result in problems. Trans fats are currently the worst type. Found in all baked goods, and most candy and chocolates, 1 gram a day can raise your risk of heart disease by 20 percent. Yes no error, 20 percent. Most Americans eat 10 grams of trans fats a day. You are just killing yourselves.

~Canuck~

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
People have to realize a few things, first being fat isn't wrong, being obese is. If your 15, 20 pounds over weight, it isn't the end of the world, sure you could lose em, but no biggie. The problem lies with people who are 50, 100, 200+ pounds overweight.

And secondly america isn't fat because they are lazy, they are fat because time is of the utmost value. since they cannot afford to waste time, conveince becomes a big issue in daily activities. People can no longer afford the time to spend at the gym, or make a healthy lunch. It is much more convenient to drive to work and hit mc donalds drive through for lunch.

cxoli

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
cxoli.net
Still, it's mostly about self control, I think. For most people, staying thin is as easy as eating in moderation. Saying that you're fat because you don't have time to eat anything besides fast food or you don't have time to exercise really isn't a very good excuse. I rarely excercise, but I'm thin because I stop eating as soon as I'm full. Just eat no more then you actually need and it should be fine.

Although that's rather easy for me to say....

N[U]TS

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
this pic just says somthing to me.......... how about u?

drax

Member!
Reaction score
that just makes me sick...how could anyone ever get like that? seriously what kind of parents are letting kids get like that...? also, doesn't that kid even care? who would want to walk around like that. personally i am disgusted with america's eating habits...

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
America favorite pass time is Eating.

It used to be baseball.

OMGLOLWTFPWN

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Pretty sad that that kid's parents are feeding him McDonalds when he is like that. It isn't a big problem if someone is a little bigger than someone else but wow, that kid was big. Looks like a large fries and pop, but the kid is only like 6 to 8 years old. The paren't must realize that their son isn't healthy... do they just not like to cook, or not really care? It isn't really fair to say they eat at McDonalds all the time I guess, but kids don't get that big eating brocoli and salads.