18 Year Old Man Dies Playing Diablo 3 For 40 Hours

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
I STILL don't understand how people can play a video game for 40 hours without eating or sleeping. This isn't the first case of someone playing to the point where they drop dead from exhaustion.
According to the article, there was a Diablo 2 death a while back.

What stands out to me is how young all these people were. You have 18 year olds and people in their 20's dying from exhaustion. That is so freaking sad.

Gamer dies after Diablo III marathon - GameSpot.com

Frippety

Reaction score
I feel like these people are both stupid, yet in need of help (which they obviously didn't get). They must have been so addicted to their game that their instinctual needs for food and sleep were overriden by the drive to play.

Another issue with this type of story is due to their freak occurrence, they are over-reported in the media and this leads to gaming getting a poor reputation. People who are less versed in the art of gaming think that gamers are all going to die in their seats for one reason or another. People need to be taught, not scared.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
Here's a related article to the one about the guy who died playing Diablo 3. This article asks whether video game companies like Blizzard have an obligation to protect gamers from themselves by warning them not to play too long or putting limitations on the game.

I think the cases where people die from gaming are few and far between. Most of us have the common sense to eat, sleep and go to the bathroom when playing games.

I also suspect these people had preexisting medical problems because I'm over 30 and when I've had to work overtime to pay some bills, I've gotten by on less sleep than these people and I'm still alive.

Anyway here's the article:

Should developers protect gamers from themselves? - GameSpot.com

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
All this shows is a lack of self restraint.

This isn't the game developers fault. It's their job to make enjoyable games. These are grown men and women playing these games. As adults, they need some sort of common sense to know when to turn off the game.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Here's a related article to the one about the guy who died playing Diablo 3. This article asks whether video game companies like Blizzard have an obligation to protect gamers from themselves by warning them not to play too long or putting limitations on the game.

I think the cases where people die from gaming are few and far between. Most of us have the common sense to eat, sleep and go to the bathroom when playing games.

I also suspect these people had preexisting medical problems because I'm over 30 and when I've had to work overtime to pay some bills, I've gotten by on less sleep than these people and I'm still alive.

The article is pretty laughable...

Protect gamers from themselves? If you as a human being haven't figured out in 18 years that not eating, sleeping, using the wash-room or standing up for 40 hours is unhealthy... Then you deserve everything that's coming to you.

I suppose the companies making beds or couches should also add warnings saying "Do not sit on this piece of furniture while doing absolutely nothing else for more than X hours, it can cause physical harm!"

Meow

Member!
Reaction score

The article is pretty laughable...

Protect gamers from themselves? If you as a human being haven't figured out in 18 years that not eating, sleeping, using the wash-room or standing up for 40 hours is unhealthy... Then you deserve everything that's coming to you.

I suppose the companies making beds or couches should also add warnings saying "Do not sit on this piece of furniture while doing absolutely nothing else for more than X hours, it can cause physical harm!"

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
@Meow

Well, you see how this world works. You have to have a "disclaimer" on even the most nonsensical things. Personally, if at 18 or above you haven't realized not eating, sleeping, bathing, etc can be detrimental to your health, then I don't know how the person even lived to be that age. But that's just me lol

Point is, people are stupid. And the media looks for a fall guy to pin their stupidity on. So right now, "video games are killing people". Until some other entertainment medium comes along to be the new fall guy.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
@Meow

Well, you see how this world works. You have to have a "disclaimer" on even the most nonsensical things. Personally, if at 18 or above you haven't realized not eating, sleeping, bathing, etc can be detrimental to your health, then I don't know how the person even lived to be that age. But that's just me lol

Point is, people are stupid. And the media looks for a fall guy to pin their stupidity on. So right now, "video games are killing people". Until some other entertainment medium comes along to be the new fall guy.
Oh I know. I've heard the whole "hot coffee" McDonalds scandal etc.

But the fact is, if this actually gives games bad press to anyone for more than a day then society is screwed up enough that a notification or disclaimer won't change anything.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I can never see getting this bad, but sometimes I do find the hours have flied by while I am just sitting playing a game. Sometimes I do forget that damn its 7 p.m. I need to make dinner. Games never override my instincts to eat, and I don't even play everyday but the days where i have nothing to do and sit down to game the time does go by without me even realizing it.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
I feel bad for the children of people with video game addictions because those kids are probably sitting on the kitchen floor in a dirty diaper ,eating cockroaches while their parents play video games for 2 days straight.

Those news stories are pretty sad, like the parents in Korea who let their baby girl starve to death while they were at the internet cafe all day raising a virtual child, the parents in China who sold 3 of their children to buy video games and the woman in Florida who beat her baby to death because he was crying when she was playing Farmville.

I don't get it. I love video games, but NOT more than I love my kid.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I feel bad for the children of people with video game addictions because those kids are probably sitting on the kitchen floor in a dirty diaper ,eating cockroaches while their parents play video games for 2 days straight.

Those news stories are pretty sad, like the parents in Korea who let their baby girl starve to death while they were at the internet cafe all day raising a virtual child, the parents in China who sold 3 of their children to buy video games and the woman in Florida who beat her baby to death because he was crying when she was playing Farmville.

Yes that is really sad, but I think some of the responsibility lies on the family and friends who should have called child protective services long ago (at least in the states). These parents have serious problems dealing with reality and they need concealing before they can take care of their children, maybe losing them would be the first step in them realizing this.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score

That kind of disgusting child neglect has been going on for years.

Like I remember two years ago this Korean man and woman sold their kids so they could buy more gaming equipment for the PC.

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
I believe that all extremes are bad. I am convinced that if we exaggerate in any activity, the result can be harmful, and even lead to death. This is one of those extreme cases where the boy ignored the rational limits. Unfortunately, tragic events like this are repeated throughout the world. Anyway, I think this is an unfortunate exception. I hope it serves as a warning to the younger ones.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score

I dare say those kids would have been treated just as poorly were video games not to exist, though. It takes a LOT more than an addiction to the game for someone to beat their own child to death for disturbing them while they place.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I believe that all extremes are bad. I am convinced that if we exaggerate in any activity, the result can be harmful, and even lead to death. This is one of those extreme cases where the boy ignored the rational limits. Unfortunately, tragic events like this are repeated throughout the world. Anyway, I think this is an unfortunate exception. I hope it serves as a warning to the younger ones.
I think it is more of the legal escapism that video games give people that allows for these people who are really depressed to just live a new great life while ignoring them all. This also happens in other methods like drugs. So for people like this it would probably happen one way or another, the important thing is to get counselling.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
I think it is more of the legal escapism that video games give people that allows for these people who are really depressed to just live a new great life while ignoring them all. This also happens in other methods like drugs. So for people like this it would probably happen one way or another, the important thing is to get counselling.
Should probably add that gaming is in most cases a whole lot healthier than drugs, too.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
Should probably add that gaming is in most cases a whole lot healthier than drugs, too.
If you let the Government have their way, they'd probably classify them as equals. Sad and pathetic, but I'm almost sure they will.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
Well I figured that would be implied, but yes games are in most cases healthier. But in a lot of cases with depressed people they can serve the same function.

vishiousx

Reaction score
Some people just get way too crazy about playing games. He probably could have lived if he kept properly fed and hydrated and at least got up and walked around a bit ever now and then. Aside from that he obviously shouldn't have done that to begin with. I'm just wondering what would make him even want to play it for that long.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
Some people just get way too crazy about playing games. He probably could have lived if he kept properly fed and hydrated and at least got up and walked around a bit ever now and then. Aside from that he obviously shouldn't have done that to begin with. I'm just wondering what would make him even want to play it for that long.
Well, there's that stereotype that Asians are competitive, disciplined, have a good work ethic and would rather die than be dishonored by losing and those things are true of some Asian people. So maybe those traits are carried out into gaming and they use that mental toughness to push themselves to keep playing through hunger and sleep deprivation. The thing is, it's just a video game, not cram school and not the Olympics, so it's okay to slack off a little and get some sleep. They're playing a game, not saving a country so they need to relax.