Why the DS lost to the PSP.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Tell me, people, when you have games like Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto arriving on the PSP, what will happen to the DS?

It's exactly the reason why the Gamecube lost out ridiculously to the PS2. Games. Nintendo has targeted the same market for years. Sony is targeting a much wider market, and has a lot more 'mature' titles, which is what gamers want.

But I think that both consoles need a bit more time to get stuck in.*

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Shadow1psc2k said:
See: My new NDS Guide.

With nintendo's upcomming titles by the end of the year, and the launch of their free online wifi gaming network, PSP is doomed. What has the PSP done/are they doing? UMD movies you can usually get cheaper on DVD and convert to play off the memory stick >.>
Doomed? Lmao PSP hasn't even launched in europe yet. and for a $250 handheld, it still sells pretty well.

And besides, like x395sdf said, Gran Turismo and GTA attract customers. plus there's FF7 Crisis Core. anything FF7 sells well.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
ReiGn said:
Doomed? Lmao PSP hasn't even launched in europe yet. and for a $250 handheld, it still sells pretty well.

And besides, like x395sdf said, Gran Turismo and GTA attract customers. plus there's FF7 Crisis Core. anything FF7 sells well.
If take two doesn't go down the hole with the hotcoffee mod, and the contstant protests about it's games including Manhunt, and the up coming "Bully". Plus some retailers might never sell GTA again.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
To repeat somebody else. Oh. Ah. Another FF7 rehash. To that I add: *yawn*

Let me reinterate for those of you who weren't listening. SquarEnix has two games announced for the DS and one for the PSP. The DS is outselling the PSP.

I'll also remind everybody that the PS2 is doing much better in the US than it is in Japan. The market scale still puts the GameCube as barely an underdog, in comparison. Nintendo also holds majority market in the gaming industry.

Only fanboys don't want to recognize facts. Yes. The PS2 outsells the GC. The GC is outsold by the X-Box only in the US, but the GC absolutely annihilates the X-Box in worldwide sales. Who has the broader market?

I'll also note that while the PS2 has more "M" rated games doesn't mean that they are targetting a broader market. Last time I checked "E" meant everone :rolleyes

Let's recap, shall we? The DS is outselling the PSP on a worldwide sale. Last I checked, total sales override the opinion of a handful of fanboys at a given site. The DS lost? Let me see that news article 'cause facts seem to be going against that statement.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The DS may have started off slow, but now that it's picking up with all these great releases, it's going to be like GBA all over again. And what did the PSP do? They gave us a good launch, then did nothing. I can think of 1 psp game I want in the future, as opposed to the 10+ on the DS I will be getting before the year ends.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Actually *sweat* I can't think of any PSP games that I want. I'd be more than glad to buy a PSP if it got any games I were interested in. As it stands, there are 10+ games that I want for the DS and won't be able to afford :gonk:

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
bamthedoc said:

Let me reinterate for those of you who weren't listening. SquarEnix has two games announced for the DS and one for the PSP. The DS is outselling the PSP.

I'll also remind everybody that the PS2 is doing much better in the US than it is in Japan. The market scale still puts the GameCube as barely an underdog, in comparison. Nintendo also holds majority market in the gaming industry.

Only fanboys don't want to recognize facts. Yes. The PS2 outsells the GC. The GC is outsold by the X-Box only in the US, but the GC absolutely annihilates the X-Box in worldwide sales. Who has the broader market?

I'll also note that while the PS2 has more "M" rated games doesn't mean that they are targetting a broader market. Last time I checked "E" meant everone :rolleyes

Let's recap, shall we? The DS is outselling the PSP on a worldwide sale. Last I checked, total sales override the opinion of a handful of fanboys at a given site. The DS lost? Let me see that news article 'cause facts seem to be going against that statement.

So, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario DS isn't a rehash? i know that the DS is outselling the PSP now, but to say that the PSP is doomed when it isn't even released in europe yet is BS. and DS isn't the only one getting good titles in the future.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
ReiGn said:
So, Mario Kart DS, Super Mario DS isn't a rehash?
Try more like sequals. New Super Mario Bros. Will be a side-scroller like the old times with newer mario moves and levels and stuff. It's a new game entirely.
Mario Kart DS is also a new game, with classic racers, in a new game.
Remember, with the DS every game is unique to anyhthing on any other system. something the PSP is completely and totaly incapable of doing.

i know that the DS is outselling the PSP now,
I truely think the PSP is not going to catch up and disgrace the DS like everyone said. I mean, I know it isn't completely out, because Sony has so much ****ing money to throw at it, but it won't match the level of Nintendo's Success.

but to say that the PSP is doomed when it isn't even released in europe yet is BS.
Europe isn't that important, compared to America and Japan. Europe is always shafted when it comes to video games. And the late release has already pised alot of Europeans off that had anticipated it's release in March.

and DS isn't the only one getting good titles in the future.
the PSP titles are nothing but really bad PS2 Ports. the games overall look really weak. If anyhting, games will sell on name brand alone.

ST

Premium Member
Reaction score
In referrence to the title: The DS does have some pretty cool features that alot of the games take advatage of such as games that use sunlight. The PSP although, just looks damn sexy and it's graphics are good. I was tempted to buy a second one and hang it on my wall.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Besides that, Reign put words in my mouth that I didn't say :rolleyes That, my dear friends, is fanboyism.

I never said the PSP is doomed. I truely hope good games come to the system. That would give me incentive to buy it. Sony just has to, and get this worked into your brain, FIX THE ANNOYING FIRST GENERATION BUGS! The biggest problem with the PSP isn't the lack of games (good, inovative, or other); it's the dead pixels and huge price tag. Anything over $150 for a handheld console is asking too much.

Besides that, you have to buy memory cards for a handheld. It's a first in the market that everybody and their grandma has been trying to compete with Nintendo at. It's also a huge drawback. I don't want to buy a little memory stick (hereafter refered to as MS -- heh, pun not intended XD -- and, yes, I do realize how serious the disease is) to be able to save my stuff. Cartidges are so much more efficient for (a) cost reduction, (b) further expansion possibilities, and (c) saving to the same medium as the game.

What does the DS have that the PSP doesn't?

First and Foremost: Game (Current and Future Library)
Second: GameBoy Advance compadibility
Third: Touch Screen (a very fun element as demonstrated in Kirby Canvas Curse and Nintendogs)
Fourth: Cost
Fifth: The Nintendo Seal of Quality
Sixth: SquarEnix support (more of it, at least)
Seventh: GAMESPY
Eight: Free WiFi play on all Nintendo-produced Games
Ninth: Possibility of free WiFi play on Third-Party Games
Tenth: A MICROPHONE

That's ten reasons I bought the DS over the PSP. There are more, though ;)

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
x42bn6 said:
when you have games like Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto arriving on the PSP, what will happen to the DS?
Why don't you tell us, Miss Cleo? We've seen these games before... on the PS2. I'm not excited at all as you get the same game for a higher price with a smaller screen and battery limit.

It's exactly the reason why the Gamecube lost out ridiculously to the PS2. Games. Nintendo has targeted the same market for years. Sony is targeting a much wider market, and has a lot more 'mature' titles, which is what gamers want.
That is part, but not the entire reason. It also has to do with the fact that the PS2 was released early, had backwards compatibility and the added DVD player.

Also, Sony is not the people targeting at all. It's the DEVELOPERS that decide the audience. Your last statement contradicts yourself. First, you say Sony targets the largest audience, but then you say mature titles is what gamers want. Games that are rated E, are the ones that can be enjoyed by all gamers alike such as Zelda or Mario.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Revblade, good point ;)

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, prior to release, is selling more GameCubes than any X-Box title has sold X-Boxes or PS1/2 titles sold PS1/2s. I mean... The market I live it tends to see absolutely horible sales of GameCubes and said games. The three stores here (Walmart, Blockbuster, and SamGoody) have already sold out reservations. They even started late compared to other stores (EX: GameSpot). I haven't been able to find a GameCube anywhere besides Radio Shack, either *sweat* which just so happens to be where I work.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
bamthedoc said:

Debatable..... In Japan, I wouldn't be surprised if the DS is outselling the PSP (but it's probably the only country where the Gamecube outselled the PS2 for a moderately long time). I believe that the DS is selling not as well as the PSP in other countries.

Not to say that the DS isn't good, though. It looks nice and plays nice. But it's relying on the same franchises again and again.
Revelade said:
That is part, but not the entire reason. It also has to do with the fact that the PS2 was released early, had backwards compatibility and the added DVD player.

Also, Sony is not the people targeting at all. It's the DEVELOPERS that decide the audience. Your last statement contradicts yourself. First, you say Sony targets the largest audience, but then you say mature titles is what gamers want. Games that are rated E, are the ones that can be enjoyed by all gamers alike such as Zelda or Mario.
The problem is, the average gamer is not an 12-year-old male at the moment. The average gaming age is rising (again, debatable, but the number of successful M games should tell you that anyway). I've seen complaints from people that said that the Gamecube is good, but there isn't anything that can compete against Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo and the like. I've even seen a comment that, "If Nintendo concentrated on its mature market as well as its kiddy market, not only would they kick ass, but they would take Sony and Microsoft back to school." (Not exact quote, but something like that!) Is this statement true?

To be fair to Nintendo, Zelda is always a franchise that they can be proud off. Pokémon (bites lip) takes the Japanese market by the neck, strangles it and feasts upon the blood. Mario is just wacky in the sense that he is so recognisable. The problem that Sony will have when making PS3 and selling the PSP.

And I do dare say that the reason Sony did so well is because their disks can be pirated..... But you still need a PS2 to play (Again, disputable).

Er, don't ask me about the games and stuff. I don't own either, and probably never will.

(Is a Warcraft map developer)*

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
bamthedoc said:
Besides that, Reign put words in my mouth that I didn't say :rolleyes That, my dear friends, is fanboyism.

I never said the PSP is doomed. I truely hope good games come to the system. That would give me incentive to buy it. Sony just has to, and get this worked into your brain, FIX THE ANNOYING FIRST GENERATION BUGS! The biggest problem with the PSP isn't the lack of games (good, inovative, or other); it's the dead pixels and huge price tag. Anything over $150 for a handheld console is asking too much.

Besides that, you have to buy memory cards for a handheld. It's a first in the market that everybody and their grandma has been trying to compete with Nintendo at. It's also a huge drawback. I don't want to buy a little memory stick (hereafter refered to as MS -- heh, pun not intended XD -- and, yes, I do realize how serious the disease is) to be able to save my stuff. Cartidges are so much more efficient for (a) cost reduction, (b) further expansion possibilities, and (c) saving to the same medium as the game.

What does the DS have that the PSP doesn't?

First and Foremost: Game (Current and Future Library)
Second: GameBoy Advance compadibility
Third: Touch Screen (a very fun element as demonstrated in Kirby Canvas Curse and Nintendogs)
Fourth: Cost
Fifth: The Nintendo Seal of Quality
Sixth: SquarEnix support (more of it, at least)
Seventh: GAMESPY
Eight: Free WiFi play on all Nintendo-produced Games
Ninth: Possibility of free WiFi play on Third-Party Games
Tenth: A MICROPHONE

That's ten reasons I bought the DS over the PSP. There are more, though ;)

Fanboy? nah. i was referring to Shadpw1psck, he was the one who said the PSP was doomed. I do agree that $250 for only a handless is overkill, but you have to the agree that even with the price the PSP still sells pretty well, which was the point in my previous posts. I'm sure if the PSP and the DS had the same price, it'd be a different story. and besides, it's Sony's first entry into the handheld buisiness, an area which Nintendo dominates completely.

About the games, i think the PSP and the DS have the same amount of games currently availabe(not including gba of course). Backwards compatibility with GBA? the PSP can just run a SNES or a GBA emulator, even though it's cheating. saying the DS games are better that the PSP's is just your opinion. there's no doubt the DS will have good games released for it in the future, but PSP will have it's own share good games as well. PSP has online play, also an update that gives you a web browser and a new video codec for the movies. PSP's graphics are more superior, while having pretty good gameplay as well, even w/o a touch screen. PSP's audio and video blows the DS's out of the water. i can list some more things the PSP has over the ds, but you get the idea. i don't hate the DS or anything, nor i prefer the PSP more. i just reacted to what Shadpw1psck said that the PSP was doomed, which it isn't, and it won't be for a long time.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
No actualy, the PSP audio is complete and total shit compared to the DS. The DS has the greatest ****ing sound coming from it out of anything I have ever held in my hand. It completely rips apart the sound on my brothers laptop.

No the DS definately has much better sound.

bamthedoc

King Endymion
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
NOTE: I don't care one lick about graphics :rolleyes Anybody that does isn't a gamer. The DS is outselling the PSP. That is all there is to that arguement.

The PSP isn't in Europe, so saying that the PSP is doing better, even marginally, in other countries (discluding Japan where the DS blows the PSP out of the water) is a misleading comment. The PSP is only marginally leading the DS in sales in the US (at my last check), and it is estimated that the US DS market will explode in the coming months with many of the upcoming titles.

The DS has online, and you neglected to mention that. In fact, your statement (Reign) would leave some to believe that the DS is incapable of going online. I stated that the DS will have free online, which the PSP doesn't have.

Also, I don't include illegal Emulator and ROMs :rolleyes It isn't cheating; it's misleading and unquotable. The PSP, itself as Sony intended, cannot play those Emulated systems and ROM titles. Besides that, a decent library would cost you ~$300 (likely more) in MS. The DS can do the same thing at a lower price tag using CompacFlash (CF), SecureDigital (SD), or MultiMedia (MM) cards. It's still illegal, however, and, therefor, doesn't count.