Why the DS lost to the PSP.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Sony has only shipped 1 million units to the United states, it has sold 1.1 million roughly in Japan. It also hopes to ship 1 million to Europe in April.

NDS sales last year:
# North America: 500,000 sold in a week
# Japan: 500,000 sold in just four days

Out of the 650,000 available on Friday, over 600,000 of the Nintendo DS portable systems had been sold around Europe by Sunday! That means that in just three days, Europe managed to buy more Nintendo DS systems than the US and Japan did in a week and four days, respectively.

PSP further delayed the European launch, and the delayed the US launch will hurt it. Sales figures cannot be shown for a system just released but it still stands that Nintendo has more units sold in japan and North America, and has already grasped the European market and has already set sales records in the UK and in Australia.

If you don't beleive me, sales figures were taken from several sources but you can be happy to look around.

Also Just for anyone who doesn't believe http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=246&products_id=3983&
http://www.mediacenterpcworld.com/news/251
Nintendo DS can and does play Mp3, and movies with the adapter

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
February 7 - 13, 2005
PSP - 45,972
PlayStation 2 - 39,889
Nintendo DS - 26,205
Game Boy Advance SP - 10,372
GameCube - 4,499
Game Boy Advance - 573
Xbox - 262

February 14 - 20, 2005
PlayStation 2 - 38,954
PSP - 38,314
Nintendo DS - 22,363
Game Boy Advance SP - 10,849
GameCube - 3,256
Game Boy Advance - 399
Xbox - 295

PSP fell slightly below PS2. :p

PlayStation 2 - 44,378
PSP - 41,867
Nintendo DS - 26,761
Game Boy Advance SP - 11,124
GameCube - 3,351
Game Boy Advance - 341
Xbox - 245

PS2 extended its lead over PSP.

February 28 - March 6, 2005
PSP - 47,633
PlayStation 2 - 44,228
Nintendo DS - 25,759
Game Boy Advance SP - 12,307
GameCube - 3,635
Game Boy Advance - 398
Xbox - 177

PSP got back ahead of PS2.

March 7 - 13, 2005
PSP - 46,307
PlayStation 2 - 41,349
Nintendo DS - 26,537
Game Boy Advance SP - 14,596
GameCube - 4,245
Game Boy Advance - 616
Xbox - 244

More of the same.

March 14 - 20, 2005
PSP - 43,644
PlayStation 2 - 40,270
Nintendo DS - 22,446
Game Boy Advance SP - 11,013
GameCube - 3,357
Game Boy Advance - 477
Xbox - 345

The gap between PSP and DS is again around 20K.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Anyone saying PSP is better than DS is wrong.

Heres a few key reasons why;

PSP has configuration control problems (See the right DPad button and Left command button ...Square I think... get stuck, because they are too close to the screen.)
PSP has minidisc's, making it to where you have to buy all the DVD's you want to watch again, and on top of that, there are hardly any games out, and you cant port from PS1 (Although you wounld't be able to, because there are no L2/R2 buttons)
PSP has a shorter battery life
PSP is less durable

However, why PSP is beating DS in sales right now is this; It's based on the sales of March. PSP just came out, so ofcourse everyone and their manwhores are going to want one.

I'm just gonna stop rambling, because I really don't care at this point; I have both :grunt

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Well when my local Electronics Boutique was promoting the DS, the manager (A very respectable gamer) and i talked for about 15mins comparing the DS to the PSP. Now, i was very naive at the time because i knew almost nothing about them except for a few newspaper extracts about the PSP being so disfunctional when Sony tried to release them early to tackle the DS.
He basically summed up Shadow's post but insulted the PSP more :D

Regardless of sales AOP, you gotta admit that the DS really is alot better than the PSP. Even though i am a Sony man since the PS2 came out, you gotta hand it to Nintendo for bringing out yet another quality handheld console.

Bapes

Forever Rain
Reaction score
Website
frltd.blog125.fc2.com
Grieving Mendacity said:
Anyone saying PSP is better than DS is wrong.

Heres a few key reasons why;

PSP has configuration control problems (See the right DPad button and Left command button ...Square I think... get stuck, because they are too close to the screen.)
PSP has minidisc's, making it to where you have to buy all the DVD's you want to watch again, and on top of that, there are hardly any games out, and you cant port from PS1 (Although you wounld't be able to, because there are no L2/R2 buttons)
PSP is less durable

However, why PSP is beating DS in sales right now is this; It's based on the sales of March. PSP just came out, so ofcourse everyone and their manwhores are going to want one.

I'm just gonna stop rambling, because I really don't care at this point; I have both :grunt
Ive got both too.

there are hardly any games out

What would you expect? 50 games at launch?

You change PSP battery life from 2hrs to 11hrs by hiitting the SQUARE button NEXT too select.

Only L button has problems.

AdventFayte

Reaction score
PSP Vs. DS

The PSP is quite obviously leaps and bounds more powerful than the Nintendo DS as far as displaying 3D graphics is concerned. To sort of counter-balance things a bit, the Nintendo DS has two screens. But in this case, it becomes obvious that one, larger screen with amazing graphics is better than two small screens filled with a pixilated mess. Honestly, the Nintendo DS is barely capable of displaying serviceable 3D visuals.

I have to admit it. When I first heard about the Nintendo DS my mind was in a whir contemplating the possibilities. But what I've found out is that controlling ordinary games with a stylus sucks. Controlling 3D games with a directional pad also sucks. In other words, the controls on the Nintendo DS basically suck. The PSP gives you a pseudo analog stick that works quite well and a directional pad. To me, it seems like Nintendo went out of its way for basically nothing. If I had to choose, I'd honestly trade in the touch screen for an analog stick.

Looking at things in the long term, the PSP is, again, the obvious choice. While its software library is weak so far, it's only a matter of time until all the third-party exclusives like Grand Theft Auto start rolling in. Couple that with a likely price drop around the holidays, and the PSP will go from must-have status symbol to mass market smash. The Nintendo DS has a weak library now, and it really doesn't look to be getting any better anytime soon. Sure, there's Castlevania and Mario Kart, but those games look to use the touch screen abilities in the same way they've been used already. If I dare say it, the Nintendo DS is already looking played-out, and I wouldn't be surprised if this thing is beginning its death march by this time next year.

So maybe you're not so good at math. Or maybe you're just in denial. But I'm recommending the Sony PSP over the Nintendo DS. So the PSP is so much better than the Nintendo DS that it's worth spending over $100 extra on? Even with insane loading times? Yes, it is. But in all honesty, this comparison is pretty unfair. At least outwardly, Nintendo never intended for the Nintendo DS to compete with the PSP, but it's inevitable that people (like you and I) would compare the two anyway.
The PSP's real competition will be the next iteration of the Game Boy, which is currently in the concept stages. And if rumors swirling around the industry are true, the PSP will have a tough fight on its hands when that day comes. But until then, the Nintendo DS is nothing more than a decent idea being used as a stop-gap to limit the sales of the Sony PSP until the next Game Boy is ready. But after people get Sony's slick machine in their hands, I question just how well the tactic will work.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You like talkin' out your ass eh?

There has been no confirmed Gameboy that is being worked on. The only talk of anything in the works is the codename "Revolution", and that could be the next gen console. E3 will tell us more on that more than likely. Nintendo has officially stated there is no new gameboy in the works (yet).

The DS was specifically made to counterattack the PSP on the handheld market. Released just before christmas so parents would buy it for their kiddies, that way when PSP came out the wouldn't wanna shell out another $300 for another system.

The PSP is doing pretty poorly right now compared to how the DS did it's opening few weeks. The DS was practicly sold out everywhere, whereas there is an overabundance of PSPs around. It's not quite the catastrophe N-Gage was, but it is nowhere near the sales of the DS in it's first week alone, JP or NA.

Games support is really a matter of preference. Nintendo knows what they are doing with handhelds. All you even have to do is say "Pokemon" and the kiddies come running. Along with first party and third party support that nintendo has always had for their handhelds, the PSP doesn't stand a chance at the moment. The PSP had better launch titles than the DS, and did that help it? Hell no. Look at the future line up for both DS and PSP. Wait, what's that? The PSP has nothing on DS's upcomming titles announced and TBA for the DS.

As far as the DS hardware, it seems clear you neither own a DS, nor have played one long enough to know anything about it. Barely able to display 3-D visuals? Take one long, hard, look at Metroid Prime: Hunters, Super Mario 64 DS, NFSU 2, or the stunningly beautiful Another Code. Sure, it's not as powerful as the PSP, but the PS2 isn't as powerful as the GCN, and that still has better games (for the most part). Then again, there isn't a DS game yet that pushes it's hardware to the max. There isn't one game with a framerate drop, or artifacting. The PSP has several at launch.

I won't even get in to the money or battery issue.

Please refrain from pulling 'facts' out of your ass when making your next statement ^_^

♥The Shadow♥

Sunshadow

Reaction score
why?

The PSP is more popular

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Sunshadow said:
The PSP is more popular
That is actualy a myth, becasue if you think about the amount of DS owners to PSP owners, its something like 3 to 1 for the DS.

~edit~
you all forget The DS already has hundreds of games on launce, becasue it is backwards compatible with GBA. PSP has only PSP games. DS has both DS and GBA games.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
backwards compatability aside, the DS still has the more addictive and fun games right now. Yoshi's Touch and Go compells me @_@

♥The Shadow♥

AdventFayte

Reaction score
Id hate to tell you but I happen to own a ds and when I said it could barley display full 3d keep in mind the words "Barley" and "full" oh and yes there just happens to be another gameboy in the works I guess youll be proved wrong when its on its way not that its anytime soon or anything. Now i didnt say the PSP is killing the ds I just stated that when it comes down to comparing the two the psp is much more enjoyable since the controls, graphics, and all its functions are so much better. The point is the psp has so many possabilties and the ds doesnt seem to be doing anything diffrent since its launch titles (how many ways is there to use a stylus?...not many)
so by the time the price point drops later this year and xmas is on its way it most likley will outsell the ds. so why dont you stop jumping to conclusions when you dont even have your facts straight.

oh yeah and when you said the ds was released earlier to outrun the psp by moms buying it for kids, whoa your wrong again the ds is an innovative experiment (wich was said in one of nintendos announcements) it wasnt made to compete with the psp even though it pretty much will have to.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
You still prove nothing. The DS doesn't 'barely' do anything, because as I stated before, there isn't a game to take full advantage of it's hardware. There is no other gameboy in the works as of now which was stated at the GDC this year, and untill E3 (which I doubt will state any differently either) we don't know anything of Nintendo's plans for it's codename Revolution.

If you can't deal with the stylus, don't play the system. It's not rocket science, and every 3D game out for the DS works just fine with the dpad. The touchscreen functionality in these games is pretty limited to movement, but you often have to change the control scheme if you want to go out of your way to use it, when the dpad works just fine.

The psp doesn't function better at anything than the DS, and vice versa. You can't really compare the systems because they have yet to share a game yet (though will share 2 soon) and it's two whole different ball games. The only real use of Analogue control for me was FPS games, and you need to for that. Is there a right hand analogue stick? No, they give us a Dpad and an analogue nub on the same side within close proximity of eachother, which makes it totall obsolete. I use the dpad for almost everything, unless the analogue nub is required for something, which isn't often.

As for different ways of using the stylus, it's no different than saying "how many different things can you do with a analogue nub". Moot point, because you wanna know how many different things you can do with the stylus? More than the PSP.

Now why would Sony drop the price so soon on the PSP? oh wait, is it because it's not worth the money right now? Sure, the completionists like myself bought it on launch, I bought it just to have it in my collection, but not everyone is going to drop $300 on a glorified portable ps1/2. Because that's all it is, it brings nothing to the table you can't get on the PS2. and for about $150 you can just get an LCD monitor and battery that lasts longer than the PSPs.

And why isn't my theory plausible? you have any facts to prove wrong that that's why they released the DS at that point in time? Sure the DS is the third leg for Nintendo to stand on, not a console, yet not a gameboy, but it's called marketing strategy. Releasing it before Christmas when the PSP was delayed for another 3 months = good strategy. You can't say that that wasn't an underlying motive in the release time of the system. Nintendo's not gonna outright say that they did it on purpose, but you know they did. You can't be that naive.

♥The Shadow♥

AdventFayte

Reaction score
This is pointless trying to convince you just like theres no chance in you convincing me so im out this isnt gonna change anything other then wasting my time.

Shadow1psc2k

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The stop posting :)

Untill the PSP shows us something we have yet to see on the ps1/2, gives us a better battery life per game, and lowers the price dramatically of both the hardware and accessories, it doesn't stand a chance against the DS.

♥The Shadow♥

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
AdventFayte said:
This is pointless trying to convince you just like theres no chance in you convincing me so im out this isnt gonna change anything other then wasting my time.
In other words your a sony fanboy.

Only time will tell I suppose. I predict the PSP destroying the DS, but as I said: only time will tell.
That is kinda hard when the DS has close to 2 million more units sold than the PSP does. I have never heard of a system with less units circulating beating a strong system.